Chen style Taiji, Yang WenJing (very wriggly).

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Chen style Taiji, Yang WenJing (very wriggly).

Postby willie on Wed May 30, 2018 12:18 pm

Bao wrote:That the shenfa looks a bit different in form and applications doesn't bother me at all. You will punch differently if you throw a punch in the air or at a bag. You always need to work differently with mechanics when you work on a physical body. Maybe he wanted to exaggerate and show the mechancs very clearly in the solo form set? That is very hard to do when you work on appplication and IMO quite pointless. For partner work, it's always better to focus more on function and less on the visual expression. IMO. ;)

Hi Bao. I don't think so. What I believe is really happening is two major considerations.
The first is of course the fact that he has spent more time in Solo practice then in two man practice. So in that way he is much more advanced in his solo practice and the two man stuff needs to catch up.
The second consideration I believe would be, safety factors. It's very difficult to release the bow carefully enough as to not injure your partner. This makes it very difficult to actually train internal power.

If the solo practice was on the same level as the two man practice, then there would be no difference in appearance.
Last edited by willie on Wed May 30, 2018 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
willie

Postby marvin8 on Wed May 30, 2018 12:52 pm

willie wrote:Hi Bao. I don't think so. What I believe is really happening is two major considerations.
The first is of course the fact that he has spent more time in Solo practice then in two man practice. So in that way he is much more advanced in his solo practice and the two man stuff needs to catch up.
The second consideration I believe would be, safety factors. It's very difficult to release the bow carefully enough as to not injure your partner. This makes it very difficult to actually train internal power.

To prevent injury to their partner, the modern fighter (e.g., MMA, muay thai, boxing, etc.) trains explosive power on the heavy bag, with coaches who feed moving energy wearing protective gear and/or holding a power pad.

Benefits include kinesthetic feedback, develop dynamic balance, alignment and accuracy while releasing explosive power.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby willie on Wed May 30, 2018 1:48 pm

marvin8 wrote:
willie wrote:Hi Bao. I don't think so. What I believe is really happening is two major considerations.

To prevent injury to their partner, the modern fighter (e.g., MMA, muay thai, boxing, etc.) trains explosive power on the heavy bag, with coaches who feed moving energy wearing protective gear and/or holding a power pad.

Benefits include kinesthetic feedback, develop dynamic balance, alignment and accuracy while releasing explosive power.

You don't know what the f*** you're talking about
willie

Postby Bao on Wed May 30, 2018 2:12 pm

It's very difficult to release the bow carefully enough as to not injure your partner.

Yes, you said it. You can’t use the same powe in partner work. Then why do you expect to see it there?
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Wed May 30, 2018 2:44 pm

If solo work doesn't transfer to two man you don't really understand the solo work
Nothing is too powerfull to be applied and if you can't it is useless for combat
Understanding how and when to apply power and the amount to apply is paramount
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Bao on Wed May 30, 2018 3:22 pm

wayne hansen wrote:If solo work doesn't transfer to two man you don't really understand the solo work
Nothing is too powerfull to be applied and if you can't it is useless for combat

Well, I agree generally speaking. But still, you can make an arm breaking application look very strong in a solo form, but you might not want to apply the same strength on you friend and practicing partner breaking an arm. Don’t you believe that the visual expression could be different?
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby willie on Wed May 30, 2018 3:48 pm

wayne hansen wrote:If solo work doesn't transfer to two man you don't really understand the solo work

Not true. If you understood what that man was doing in that video we would not be having this conversation.
willie

Postby willie on Wed May 30, 2018 3:49 pm

Bao wrote:

Well, I agree generally speaking. But still, you can make an arm breaking application look very strong in a solo form, but you might not want to apply the same strength on you friend and practicing partner breaking an arm. Don’t you believe that the visual expression could be different?

That's correct.
willie

Postby windwalker on Wed May 30, 2018 3:52 pm

Bao wrote:Don’t you believe that the visual expression could be different?

Exaggerated might be a a better choice of words.

The problem with something that is said to be too dangerous to use is that more often then not its never seen in use out side of demo's.
Last edited by windwalker on Wed May 30, 2018 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Finny on Wed May 30, 2018 6:37 pm

windwalker wrote:
Bao wrote:
The problem with something that is said to be too dangerous to use is that more often then not its never seen in use out side of demo's.

This. Every time I hear folks (such as some on this thread) talk about how impossible it is to demonstrate these 'deadly' techniques or power, I find mysef immediately wondering "oh yeah, how many people you killed with it?"
Finny
Great Old One

Postby willie on Wed May 30, 2018 6:44 pm

Finny wrote:
windwalker wrote:
Bao wrote:

This. Every time I hear folks (such as some on this thread) talk about how impossible it is to demonstrate these 'deadly' techniques or power, I find mysef immediately wondering "oh yeah, how many people you killed with it?"

Do I have to break your arm to prove that an armbar works? Do I have to break your neck to prove that a neck crank works? Do I actually have to insert my thumb in your eye socket to remove your eyeball to prove to you that it works? Do I have to break your leg to prove that a kneebar works? Or heel hook works? Do I have to crush your larynx to prove to you that if I crush your windpipe that you won't be able to breathe? The list goes on and on. Are you sure that you had good instruction because it sure doesn't sound very realistic to me
Last edited by willie on Wed May 30, 2018 6:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
willie

Postby Finny on Wed May 30, 2018 7:13 pm

willie wrote:Do I have to break your arm to prove that an armbar works? Do I have to break your neck to prove that a neck crank works? Do I actually have to insert my thumb in your eye socket to remove your eyeball to prove to you that it works? Do I have to break your leg to prove that a kneebar works? Or heel hook works? Do I have to crush your larynx to prove to you that if I crush your windpipe that you won't be able to breathe? The list goes on and on. Are you sure that you had good instruction because it sure doesn't sound very realistic to me

People practice the techniques you describe (for the most part) at full intensity, without breaking anything. There has never been a BJJ instructor who has said "oh no, I couldn't possibly put you in an armbar - I'll break your arm!"

How many people's larynx' have you crushed willie? How many eyes you popped out?

You seem to sometimes struggle with reading comprehension, so I'll clarify for you - I am NOT arguing that it's impossible to seriously injure or kill someone with unarmed techniques.

What I'm saying is that your position that none of the Chen stuff can actually be used live in training, because the shen fa is just 'too powerful' is rubbish.
Finny
Great Old One

Postby willie on Wed May 30, 2018 7:20 pm

Finny wrote:
willie wrote:Do I have to break your arm to prove that an armbar works? Do I have to break your neck to prove that a neck crank works? Do I actually have to insert my thumb in your eye socket to remove your eyeball to prove to you that it works? Do I have to break your leg to prove that a kneebar works? Or heel hook works? Do I have to crush your larynx to prove to you that if I crush your windpipe that you won't be able to breathe? The list goes on and on. Are you sure that you had good instruction because it sure doesn't sound very realistic to me

People practice the techniques you describe (for the most part) at full intensity, without breaking anything. There has never been a BJJ instructor who has said "oh no, I couldn't possibly put you in an armbar - I'll break your arm!"

How many people's larynx' have you crushed willie? How many eyes you popped out?

You seem to sometimes struggle with reading comprehension, so I'll clarify for you - I am NOT arguing that it's impossible to seriously injure or kill someone with unarmed techniques.

What I'm saying is that your position that none of the Chen stuff can actually be used live in training, because the shen fa is just 'too powerful' is rubbish.

I call BS on you. First off I have trained MMA in a very tough brutal School. We never trained to actually break anything. In fact that would show a very low level of skill if we were constantly injuring our partners. Although injuries happen anyways. That is not the point Finney. The problem is that you do not understand what I'm trying to say because you do not understand that skill-set. I never said that it couldn't be trained. I said that it was difficult. Perhaps you are like windwalker and are delusional believing that fajin does not work.
This argument is pointless and I refuse to involve myself any further. You have a good day
willie

Postby Overlord on Wed May 30, 2018 7:29 pm

https://youtube.com/watch?v=9KrIQSoGVV0

The Chinese described spine is the coil dragon.
Last edited by Overlord on Wed May 30, 2018 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Overlord

Postby windwalker on Wed May 30, 2018 8:07 pm

Overlord wrote:https://youtube.com/watch?v=9KrIQSoGVV0

The Chinese described spine is the coil dragon.

Nice although there are other methods

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnG7PWG ... e=youtu.be

Each method has its advantages and disadvantages.
windwalker
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links