Tai chi tuishou in self defence — Ian Sinclair

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Tai chi tuishou in self defence — Ian Sinclair

Postby marvin8 on Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:17 am

Ian Sinclair
Published on Aug 4, 2018

Tai chi Tuishou (Pushing hands) begins as a gentle and cooperative two-person dual pushing exercise. Over time, it can evolve to include all ranges of armed and unarmed combat.
In this video the student gets to experiment with striking ranges and techniques for hands. In some cases she uses and imaginary dagger. in others she uses fists. The pacing is cautious, but progressive and the structure is maintained to encourage a degree of realism without endangering either her or the teacher.
This type of training is not appropriate for everyone, and requires a degree of preparation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyJ1ndmkFOg
marvin8
Wuji

Re: Tai chi tuishou in self defence — Ian Sinclair

Postby Bao on Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:58 am

I've watched it a few times and I do appreciate some of the ideas. But there is something about it, maybe due to lack of sparring practice or limited fighting knowledge... It's too passive. She stands there just waiting with her hands mostly hanging down to the sides. I don't expect a boxing guard, but the hands should be kept higher and ready, and there should be an attachment even on distance. Following and adapting to distance, angle and movement. If you are too passively waiting for an attack or for an opportunity to counter, and you don't have this awareness and sense of timing even on distance, you will find that it will be very easy to run you down, even by mediocre fighters.
Last edited by Bao on Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Re: Tai chi tuishou in self defence — Ian Sinclair

Postby origami_itto on Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:37 pm

Bao wrote:I've watched it a few times and I do appreciate some of the ideas. But there is something about it, maybe due to lack of sparring practice or limited fighting knowledge... It's too passive. She stands there just waiting with her hands mostly hanging down to the sides. I don't expect a boxing guard, but the hands should be kept higher and ready, and there should be an attachment even on distance. Following and adapting to distance, angle and movement. If you are too passively waiting for an attack or for an opportunity to counter, and you don't have this awareness and sense of timing even on distance, you will find that it will be very easy to run you down, even by mediocre fighters.

I've been watching more of his stuff and even listened to the podcast, and I think I know what you mean. There's just something about his stuff, I don't disagree with anything he says I just can't get enthusiastic about it. Maybe it's just his Canadian-ness to my southern-ness or something, I dunno. He speaks intelligently about concepts, but the expression that I can see looks very basic. That could just as well be my poor eye as anything.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Return to Video Links