bagua xingyi taiji, do not "express energy"

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

bagua xingyi taiji, do not "express energy"

Postby everything on Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:21 pm

amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: bagua xingyi taiji, do not "express energy"

Postby windwalker on Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:04 am

nice perspective from an old masters point of view

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktkHf5t6gMw
windwalker
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:09 pm

oh thanks for part 2
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Overlord on Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:39 am

I totally agree with “no showing” and some of old school sayings he would like to share. And I am a Xingyi guy.
But hearing his puffy breathing and his claim to kick Muaythai ass make me question his sanity.
If he cannot subdue an any opponent within 3 secs he will be destroyed given his physical plight and age.
Very sad and embarrassing to see claims like this from a Xingyi teacher without any humility or reservation.
Last edited by Overlord on Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Overlord

Postby Bao on Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:03 am

Overlord wrote:If he cannot subdue an any opponent within 3 secs he will be destroyed given his physical plight and age.
Very sad and embarrassing to see claims like this from a Xingyi teacher without any humility or reservation.

When he has the gloves on, he keep his arms hanging down. Seems like lack of experience. He would last no more than five seconds if he don’t know how to keep his arms up. I like a lot of what he says though... Maybe he knows what he is doing, maybe not.... I prefer to believe in him. :)
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby everything on Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:06 pm

^^^ yeah.
everything
Wuji

Postby Trick on Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:18 pm

Bao wrote:
Overlord wrote:If he cannot subdue an any opponent within 3 secs he will be destroyed given his physical plight and age.

When he has the gloves on, he keep his arms hanging down. Seems like lack of experience. He would last no more than five seconds if he don’t know how to keep his arms up. I like a lot of what he says though... Maybe he knows what he is doing, maybe not.... I prefer to believe in him. :)

The guard is in the head. Watch some Roy Jones Jr in his prime fights for example. Now I’m not comparing the guy in the vid with the boxer.
Trick

Postby Bao on Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:41 am

Trick wrote:The guard is in the head. Watch some Roy Jones Jr in his prime fights for example. Now I’m not comparing the guy in the vid with the boxer.

That means that you will guard with your head. There’s a distance between low and high and there is always a cognitive delay. This is just how the human brain function and we can’t do anything about it. Sparring rule number one: always keep your hands up. Boxers can keep their guard down, but most of them do it as a calculated risk while using footwork, bobbing etc. That’s a part of the game plan.

Will try to search better later but there’s a good vid on the YouTube demonstrating the difference between having hands high and low and how hard it is to defend yourself from a straight lead without keeping your hand already high. There’s a huge difference. So you can keep your guard in your head or minimize the risks. That’s your own choice.
Last edited by Bao on Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:38 am

Bao wrote:
Trick wrote:The guard is in the head. Watch some Roy Jones Jr in his prime fights for example. Now I’m not comparing the guy in the vid with the boxer.

That means that you will guard with your head. There’s a distance between low and high and there is always a cognitive delay. This is just how the human brain function and we can’t do anything about it. Sparring rule number one: always keep your hands up. Boxers can keep their guard down, but most of them do it as a calculated risk while using footwork, bobbing etc. That’s a part of the game plan.

Will try to search better later but there’s a good vid on the YouTube demonstrating the difference between having hands high and low and how hard it is to defend yourself from a straight lead without keeping your hand already high. There’s a huge difference. So you can keep your guard in your head or minimize the risks. That’s your own choice.

Distance and timing, listening energy(feeling) from distance(no touch). I even think you have posted a few quotes from Li Yaxuan’s thoughts/writings about this. Of course one have to have free sparred(fought) at least a couple of times to catch some understanding of it. Hands up, hands down or somewhere in between may shifts naturally with how the sense/feel of the opponent move. And also to be able to throw a good punch from high, low or anywhere in between is good skill to have at hand.....But yes “rule number one” for sure is what one learn from day one in a boxing gym, and it’s a good advice because in the ring most will get hit in the head....a lot.
Trick

Postby marvin8 on Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:42 am

marvin8
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:20 am

I thought it looked familiar. :)

I actually wound up finally meeting Mike Graves last weekend at the quarterly Texas Meetup. Helluva guy. Great skills.
Last edited by origami_itto on Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Return to Video Links