Sun Taijiquan Fighting Techniques Volume 2

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Sun Taijiquan Fighting Techniques Volume 2

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:02 pm

It depends on what aspects you want to see from hsing I and ba kua
If he was just to imatate those arts there is no point
The follow step is a good example
Repulse monkey is another even though the way most do it is lacking any understanding
We have a 300 step yang form in our system where every step is a follow step,for example ward off,roll back,press and push are not done on the one spot,I don't know the history of this form just that it was passed down by our teachers.
Most people I see setting themselves up as authorities on SLT don't look like they spent a lot of time learning the art ,our any art for that matter
What Grahame says is right I laugh when people say what people they never met thought
That does not mean you can't trust what your teachers say but there must be honest transmission
Any break in the line of transmission,one dummie and all is lost.
It doesn't matter what art you study your teacher must have the goods or what is the use
I know people who spent a small amount of time with a very famous teacher but that was filmed
They now demand high prices for seminars all over the world and didn't get much true transmission and weren't that talented to start with
So buyer beware
I never sought out the top teacher in any lineage just those that understood the teaching
That doesn't mean that over time the top teacher didn't seek me out
Train hard,train daily,respect what you are taught and your training will be of value to you and others
Last edited by wayne hansen on Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:32 pm

For me personally after a little while of my form practice and getting warmed up, when everything flows and settles smoothly, which usually happens when I’m in the second “performance” of the form, that I do three times in a row. The follow up stepping just want to step in there to the point I must hold it back, and usually in the third performance i have to let it loose. Just going(stepping)with the flow :) The follow up step is a natural occurrence, but to do it with a Taiji body maybe one have first have to have a good foundation with “strict” stance/leg positions as found for example in traditional Yang Taijiquan? My Yang Taiji is basically the 85 form of Fu Zhongwen linage......Also there is the Chu Guiting Yang Taiji form that has “additional” stepping in its ward off, roll back, press and push. But it’s more of step in with back foot and continue step forward with front foot.
Trick

Postby Fa Xing on Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:24 am

Bao and I have had this discussion before where we disagree. I practice all three, and there's definitely Xingyi-ish and Bagua-ish material in Sun's Taiji. Look at the way the Parting the Wild Horse's Mane is done, very similar to Tai Xing Quan from Xingyi, the application I was taught was the same (clinch and headbutt). Look at Retreat and Repulse the Monkey, it has a Single Palm Change aspect to it. Look at the toe-in and toe-out steps, far more distinguished than other taiji branches, looks more like koubu and baibu from BGZ. There is more than that.

Sun Lutang probably spent about 3 months max learning taiji from Hao Weizhen. From there, he probably practice the form and the 30 something years of practicing xingyiquan and baguazhang probably crept in, and instead he decides to solidify it (as much as one can) and slap his name on it. Perhaps, it's my own bias, since I train xingyiquan but when I move through the form, it has a strong xingyi flavor to it. However, it definitely is still taijiquan.
Dr. Troy Schott
Doctor of Chiropractic
Lead Instructor, Ground Dragon Martial Arts
https://grounddragonma.com/
Fa Xing
Anjing

Postby Sean on Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:46 am

I practiced Wu Yuxiang taiji before learning Sun, and although there are some outward differences I would say that the general principals of movement and the methods of power generation are essentially the same.
Sean
Wuji

Postby Fa Xing on Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:59 pm

Sean wrote:I practiced Wu Yuxiang taiji before learning Sun, and although there are some outward differences I would say that the general principals of movement and the methods of power generation are essentially the same.

I do agree with that.
Dr. Troy Schott
Doctor of Chiropractic
Lead Instructor, Ground Dragon Martial Arts
https://grounddragonma.com/
Fa Xing
Anjing

Previous

Return to Video Links