The art of Chinese kung fu bullfighting

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

The art of Chinese kung fu bullfighting

Postby marvin8 on Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:19 pm

South China Morning Post
Published on Sep 3, 2018

Guanniu, or Chinese bullfighting, is a traditional sport of the Hui ethnic minority, that dates back thousands of years to the Yuan and Song dynasties. During the fight, an athlete aims to wrestle a bull to the ground within three minutes.

Han Haihua was the first to formalise Chinese bullfighting by bringing kung fu and bullfighting together. In 1982, Han became the first athlete to wrestle down a bull at China’s national games. He impressed the country and became known as China’s first bullfighter. Here are Master Han’s three rules for kung fu bullfighting mastery:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyuFOHZy99A&
marvin8
Wuji

Re: The art of Chinese kung fu bullfighting

Postby dspyrido on Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:52 am

Step 1: Get your buddy to tie a restraint to the bull...

I get that this is a tradition. My xylh sifu did it & it is a cultural thing that attracts attention for martial artists trying to get a break in china.

I'd prefer they left the poor bulls alone and wrestled each other or other schools. Any videos of that would be great!
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:25 am

There’s a story about the legendary historical Karate master Sōkon Matsumura of Okinawa. He was up for a bull fight challenge and apparently he knew which bull he was going to have a go against. In the days leading up to the “brawl” he sneaked in to where the bull was held and poked it with a pointy stick. The day came and he entered the arena looking strong and confident staring at the bull, when the bull saw Matsumura it turned around as if trying to flee the scene and the pain it probably associated with the man that just had entered the arena......Otherwise Okinawan bullfight is a bull vs bull “sumo” style of fight.
Trick

Postby Bao on Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:29 am

There’s a vid on the YouTube w Mas and a standing still Bull, doesn’t look scared. Then Mas gently put his hand on its horn and then there’s a cut to a horn lying on the ground. People were very impressed back then because not everyone understood what editing could do... :/ ... ;D
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Bhassler on Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:17 pm

My first taiji teacher was sent to Mongolia during the Cultural Revolution and worked as a cowboy. Every year when it was time to geld and brand the bulls, a single cowboy would throw a bull to the ground and then hold it while someone else cut it's balls off and lit it's ass on fire. Just another day on the job...
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:35 am

Bao wrote:There’s a vid on the YouTube w Mas and a standing still Bull, doesn’t look scared. Then Mas gently put his hand on its horn and then there’s a cut to a horn lying on the ground. People were very impressed back then because not everyone understood what editing could do... :/ ... ;D

The Masutatsu Oyama bull fights in my opinion where silly, stupid animal cruelty machismo. He probably over and over tried to karate chop the bulls horn but eventually it had to be sawed off. Sokon Matsumura approach at least had a good sense of strategy to it where non got really hurt.
Trick

Return to Video Links