Beng Quan

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Beng Quan

Postby Fa Xing on Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:40 am

Dr. Troy Schott
Doctor of Chiropractic
Lead Instructor, Ground Dragon Martial Arts
https://grounddragonma.com/
Fa Xing
Anjing

Re: Beng Quan

Postby dspyrido on Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:05 pm

Beng quan sparring drill should focus on metal chops wood. Source: An Shen Pao. Works better than elbow cover.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby Bao on Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:46 pm

Last edited by Bao on Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Overlord on Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:59 pm

This is horrible.
It’s said Beng is like an arrow 崩拳似箭

This is horrible version of stagnated arrow.
Overlord

Postby GrahamB on Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:02 am

Hi,

Firstly, I think well done for posting a video. You will inevitably just get people saying some version of "this is shit", so well done for posting it in the face of that anyway.

Secondly, it's got actual sparring in it, so anybody telling you it's shit and hasn't posted a video of themselves sparring in some form should probably be quiet. Most people in CMA just practice forms.

Thirdly, what's your motivation for posting this? You didn't give any comment with the video.

People usually post a video for

1. Hey, just a good-natured, "I thought you'd like to see what we do and I'm interested in what you think" - queue torrent of Internet abuse (naivety usually - I do this a lot so I'm naive).

2. Asking for advice "What am I doing wrong?" (sometimes sincere).

3. Marketing (showing off). "I think I'm good enough that I'm confident to show you what I do."

I've got lots I could say about the video, but don't want to say anything if you're not actually interested in pointers. I suppose I could phrase it in a "why are you doing this particular thing?" type way, rather than as criticism.

I guess I'm asking - what do you want out of this?
Last edited by GrahamB on Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:31 am

Last edited by Bao on Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Fa Xing on Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:15 pm

GrahamB wrote:Hi,

Firstly, I think well done for posting a video. You will inevitably just get people saying some version of "this is shit", so well done for posting it in the face of that anyway.

Secondly, it's got actual sparring in it, so anybody telling you it's shit and hasn't posted a video of themselves sparring in some form should probably be quiet. Most people in CMA just practice forms.

Thirdly, what's your motivation for posting this? You didn't give any comment with the video.

People usually post a video for

1. Hey, just a good-natured, "I thought you'd like to see what we do and I'm interested in what you think" - queue torrent of Internet abuse (naivety usually - I do this a lot so I'm naive).

2. Asking for advice "What am I doing wrong?" (sometimes sincere).

3. Marketing (showing off). "I think I'm good enough that I'm confident to show you what I do."

I've got lots I could say about the video, but don't want to say anything if you're not actually interested in pointers. I suppose I could phrase it in a "why are you doing this particular thing?" type way, rather than as criticism.

I guess I'm asking - what do you want out of this?

Hey Graham, thanks for watching! Probably more of #1 and a little of #3. I rarely will ask for open ended advice, though. Most people, like you said will just say what they want or think regardless of how informed their opinion truly is. Anyways, I will be a little better about placing some context around my postings in the future, which is definitely some good advice.
Dr. Troy Schott
Doctor of Chiropractic
Lead Instructor, Ground Dragon Martial Arts
https://grounddragonma.com/
Fa Xing
Anjing

Postby C.J.W. on Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:51 pm

Appearance-wise, Beng is just a very simple straight punch aiming at the torso -- a move that exists in literally every single empty-hand fighting art on earth. So I suppose what we should discuss first before commenting on OP's clip is what, in your opinion, sets a well-executed Beng apart from a straight punch found in other systems, and how its application differs from others.
Last edited by C.J.W. on Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:08 pm

It sure places context on postings
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby aamc on Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:30 pm

FWIW, I think the sparring section could do with a third man/coach watching. Someone to offer advice on what happened, and replay the action.
aamc
Wuji

Postby Wanderingdragon on Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:25 pm

Training is a necessity, sparring is the best training. That said proper training is the rule, Xing I is not a get in and get out style of fighting, there are no jabs, it is taking space and ceding space, it should always be practiced with the next step in mind. An example don’t block beng, beng OVER beng for the drill you are practicing.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby Strange on Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:41 am

to my understanding, if one keeps looking and talking about the hands
bengquan is really no different from any other fist.

unless, we start looking at the legs and how launching oneself in a coordinated
motion, with the twisting action of the kua and waist, and then transmitting the
power to the arms and fists... only then are we talking about what beng is really
meant to be

its actually shooting your entire body weight and concentrating it on your fist.
of course, much easier said than done
cos once you start to break down into the different body parts, the feeling is usually
lost/neglected and the action is too slow.
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Return to Video Links