Wu (Fast) Form with fajin

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Wu (Fast) Form with fajin

Postby ppscat on Wed May 21, 2008 5:10 am

Maybe Cdobe or any other from the Wu lineages could share some information on this form full of discharges

Compare with Wang Hao Da:

ppscat
Anjing

Re: Wu (Fast) Form with fajin

Postby cdobe on Wed May 21, 2008 2:15 pm

Hi Pablo,
the form in the first video is not Wu style's Fast Form, it is more of a very strange version of the Slow form. The Fa Jins are very untypical for the Wu style. In the Fast Form as well as in striking exercises the expression of power is much clearer (not so many small abrupt movements) and more extended than in the video. One could say that the force is literally thrown out of the limb. The video was very uncomfortable to watch for me, because of the abrupt little back and forths.

The second video shows a derivate of the Fast Form. I don't care much for it either. It lacks many of the qualities that are seen in his teacher's form.

Chris
Last edited by cdobe on Wed May 21, 2008 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby CaliG on Wed May 21, 2008 3:00 pm

That first guy is a student of Wang's (the second guy).

The story is when they do those "wiggles" chi is coming out of their hands from their tantiens.

It's not really my thing either. The Wu style I know and love is completely based on natural movement, but to each his own that's just my opinion.

You see a few of Wang's students around Shanghai, but I think they have a bigger following in the West.

For what it's woth, here's some footage of one of Wang's students pushing hands, it seems that when they push they don't add those extra movements in.

Last edited by CaliG on Wed May 21, 2008 3:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
CaliG

Postby ppscat on Thu May 22, 2008 6:00 am

Thanks Chris and CaliG for your insights. Yes, that form looks strange even compared with some forms from Yang ShaoHou lineages, which are full of short fa jings too.

ppscat
Anjing

Postby wassy on Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:55 am

hi everyone,

i am new here
here is a clip on my teacher demonstrating the fast form with a bit of fa jing;
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xKzUO1XWwGM
wassy
Santi

Postby Andy_S on Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:43 am

Wassy:

Nice clip, thanks for posting. You missed a long, interesting and eventually contentious discussion back here as to whether this form is the "original" form of Taiji learned and taught by Yang LC. Anyway....welcome aboard.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby wassy on Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:10 pm

andy:

hi , hope u are well. i have read the discussion, it was very interesting, until it fell apart!

my teacher is a disciple of grandmaster dr li li-qun of shanghai. he was the deputy chairman at the chien chaun boxing association under ma and wu ying hua for many years and took over many of ma's positions when he got older. i can only tell u guys and gals what master ma told us through master li. this form was the original form passed from the yang lineage to quan yu, ma often watched wu chien chuan and yang chien fu practice it together in chien chuan home. when he asked chien chuan what this form was he was told the above! ma made eventually made this form public, in wu chien chuans time , it was not taught openly.

i studied have studied with eddie wu's side of the family as well as the shanghai method of practice. i must say i am very dissapointed to hear he is telling people ma made it up. i have met eddie, and learnt much from his disciples, but i am shocked at their lack of respect for their uncle and aunty. i asked dr li-liqun if he made it up, he had a chuckle, and polity told me that not one person is capable of making this form, not ma, not wu chien chuan, not sun lutang etc. he said when you practice this form for long enough you will realize it is something truly special which has been refined over many generations. having spent the last few years trying to find my feet with the form; i have to agree!! i think that wu kung yi and cho knew the form, but they probably did not pass it on! there are also many forms in china which are not taught openly by the wu family folk. They no longer practice the old long form, they mainly practice the square form as popularized by wu kung yi. i studied both forms and i prefer the old form as demonstrated by wu ying hua, this is why i stopped studying with the wu family. the emphasis on how the two schools push hands is quite different also. i was lucky to find a good/open teacher in the uk, who is teaching as dr li taught him and have been with him for over 10 years now. through michael acton i have gone on to learn things which were beyond my wildest dreams (fast form included). as stated by another kung fu brother on this forum, the fast form, completes the the syllabus, in ways which are hard to describe.

the form demonstrated by sim pooh ho. is a different form in my humble opinion. i do think it has the qualities the old tai ji was famous for, and was passed down through wu tunan from yang shou hou. my teacher suggested that maybe the yang family had more than one fast sets, i guess we may never know. sim pooh ho form seems to be striking oriented, wu chien chuan form is neutral in the sense it does not favour striking, locking or throwing; its all in there!the form demonstrated by wang hou da is interesting as he clearly shows striking and wrist locking and lock breaking techs, but this is not how ma did it and if done incorrectly will lead to broken power. i think its interesting emphasis on the form but not for me either.

peace wassy
wassy
Santi

Postby cloudz on Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:29 am

That's cool.. I live in North London myself. I'll be down, I'd love to learn this form(one day). There seems to be a fair bit of wu style in that little area at the mo..

I actually think you're quite right about their being more than one sort of fast form from the Yang family.. There were probably several performed in this or similar way by various family members.

They were their own men after all, masters in their own right. One form to rule them all is wishful thinking probably.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby johnrieber on Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:02 am

thanks, wassy--nice clip, and nice posts. thanks for sharing.
johnrieber

Return to Video Links