Grandmaster Jimmy Heow | I Liq Chuan

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Grandmaster Jimmy Heow | I Liq Chuan

Postby littlepanda on Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:31 pm

littlepanda
Anjing

Re: Grandmaster Jimmy Heow | I Liq Chuan

Postby windwalker on Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:46 pm

Nice clip

Watch the exclusive video interview with Grandmaster Jimmy Heow, as he shares profound insights into I Liq Chuan. A Southern Shaolin Kungfu system that originates from China. Filmed in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia with Kieren Krygier for THE MARTIAL MAN show.

like the interviewer his questions and honest inquiry.
Not a fan of the strategies, nice seeing an old teacher demo his art in a nice setting.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:32 pm

I like jimmy what is the relationship to Sam chin
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby nicklinjm on Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:41 pm

On Jimmy Heow's website it refers to Sam Chin's father (Chin Lik Keong) as Jimmy's uncle, hard to tell whether it means actual uncle or kungfu uncle (si bak).
nicklinjm
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:21 pm

wayne hansen wrote:I like jimmy what is the relationship to Sam chin

I believe they are actual cousins. At 19:57 of the OP video and profile below, Jimmy refers to Sam as his "cousin brother," which means his uncle's son in Malaysia.

Excerpt from https://www.localsuccess.org/profile/wu ... ka-kungfu/:
localsuccess.org wrote:Master Jimmy Heow of Chinese Hakka Kungfu, Malaysia

Master Jimmy Heow started learning Kung Fu when he was at the age of eight. All his family members practice Kung Fu, as Kung Fu was the talk of the town during that period of time.

Everybody in the his neighborhood practice at least a form of Kung Fu. Master Jimmy Heow’s uncle, Chin Lik Keong introduced him to a few masters around the neighborhood. That’s where his journey begins.

Master Jimmy Heow’s training begins with Master Len Gok, his neighbor. He taught the Plum Bosom 12 Points System (十二点梅花), a form of Phoenix Eye Kung Fu (凤眼功夫) that emphasized strikes on meridian points. Master Len Gok learnt the art from Chen Teck Fook, where he learnt from Chai Yen Seong from China during the 1890s.

Other martial arts he has learnt are:

• Chu Gar Gao (朱家教), under the tutelage of his other neighbor, Master Chin Yao Wan.
• Silk Reeling Staff (缫丝杖), under the tutelage of his another neighbor, Master Then Fatt
• Cai Mei Staff (采眉杖), under Master Lai
• San Gong (神功), under Master Sang Chee Chong
• Fung Yang Xing Yi Quan (凤阳形意拳), Ru Yi Bagua (如意八卦) and the Lee style(李家拳) under Master Lee Kim Chow.

Ru Yi Bagua (如意八卦) focused in controlling your opponent, while Fung Yang Xing Yi Quan (凤阳形意拳) is yielding and issuing energy (fa-jing, 发勁). Master Lee Kim Chow learnt the art from Chu Yin Cheong in China and he was the inheritor of Fung Yang Xing Yi Quan (凤阳形意拳), while he learnt Ru Yi Bagua (如意八卦) from Master Lee Tian Kim.

After settling down in Malaysia, he began to spread the art among the Chinese community here. In addition, Master Jimmy Heow trained with his uncle, Chin Lik Keong to refine his skills from time to time. Master Jimmy Heow was also being taught and given some points by Master Lee Tian Kim on Ru Yi Bagua (如意八卦).

Fighting Years

His first fight was with a Thai Boxer in the year 1974. This was the first time in the ring that they introduced rules with boxing gloves and the use of ointment. The fight didn’t proceed. They are not used to wearing gloves and the opponent are covered with oil. Thereafter, they adapted and start to train with gloves, etc.

The most memorable fight happened in the year 1980. Master Jimmy Heow’s opponent is tall and he got long, strong arms. In Chinese kung fu, particularly in the external route, the determinant of success is a pair of strong forearms – “Kiu Sao” (桥手). Master Jimmy won the fight because his defense was strong.

Master Jimmy Heow (in black) in the International Karate Open Championship

• In 1975, he won the International Karate Open Championship Group B.
• In 1977, he won the Heavy Weight Group B championship in the Kuala Lumpur / Selangor 2nd
Chinese Martial Art Championship.
• In 1978, in the First All Malaysian Chinese Wushu Tournament, he was the Heavy Weight Group B runner-up.
• In 1980, he was the second runner-up, Heavy Weight Group B, in the Fifth International Chinese Martial Arts Championship organized by the Malaysian Chinese Wushu Federation.
• In the same year, he was the Champion, Class B, in the Third Selangor KL Chinese Wushu Association Championship and was the First Runner Up in the Hong Kong Open Champion of Champions Tournament, Heavyweight Division.
• In 1985, he was the Push Hand Champion in the KL Selangor Chinese Wushu Federation Tournament.
• In the same year, he was the Champion in the Malaysia – Thailand Kickboxing Championship.
• In 1986 to 1990, Master Jimmy Heow challenged in the media, any and all Tai Chi exponents in Malaysia and abroad to Push Hand competitions. Challengers representing all the known Tai Chi schools such as Chen and Yang styles came from China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore and as far as Hawaii. He was undefeated.

A New Era

In those days, learning Kung Fu was not as easy as now. The Master won’t tell the students everything he knew. So, the students crossed train. It all started with a group of Master Lee Kim Chow’s students, practicing and researching on Fung Yang Xing Yi Quan (凤阳形意拳) and Ru Yi Bagua (如意八卦). That’s how the formation of I Liq Chuan Association started when they decided to give a new name to Master Lee Kim Chow’s art. I Liq Chuan Association was formed in the year 1976. Master Jimmy Heow was the co-founder of the I Liq Chuan Association in Malaysia, at that time he was at the age of twenty three.

Master Jimmy Heow stopped teaching in 1990 and went into business. Also, that was the year his cousin brother, Sam Chin migrated to the United States. In 2006, he decided to come out and spread the art again and set up the Jimmy Heow I Liq Chuan Academy Malaysia. I Liq Chuan is a very unique art. Even now, there are still people coming from overseas to learn and understand I Liq Chuan.

His focus and training now is on “Yi Dao” (意道). It is more towards the development of human potential using the mind – “Yi” (意) , Energy – “Hei” (气) and Ging (勁) “Power”. It is the understanding of human body mechanics – “Liq Hok” (力学).

As times have changed, besides offering traditional martial arts classes, he also teaches sports push hands and Sanda with the focus in competition. As for another group, He concentrate on the forms and some basic exercises for health preservation and improvement. Also, in martial arts, Master Jimmy Heow will always try to cultivate and foster unity among the martial arts community and welcome those who martial artists from various backgrounds to come and train with the academy.

When Master Jimmy first started, training is more like the hard styles as compared to the later years. The system Fung Yang Xing Yi Quan (凤阳形意拳) and Ru Yi Bagua (如意八卦) taught them not to give their opponents any chance when they touch their hands. “Once touch, either stick to the opponent’s hands, guarding him closely, or issue energy and that guy will fly off. People train differently back in the old days. Now, it is more sports oriented.”

Now, the training is based on physical sensitivity and sensorial mind awareness – not thinking of any techniques for dealing with particular situations. It is an art of unifying the mind and body of an individual. There are a set of basic movements and only two forms in the system to cultivate ‘chi’ and for health preservation. Other than that, the students practice sticky or spinning hands for sensitivity and applications. Master Jimmy Heow stressed on understanding of “Liq Hok” (力学) – the use of force using body mechanics to control the opponents.
Last edited by marvin8 on Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:21 pm

His focus and training now is on “Yi Dao” (意道). It is more towards the development of human potential using the mind – “Yi” (意) , Energy – “Hei” (气) and Ging (勁) “Power”. It is the understanding of human body mechanics – “Liq Hok” (力学).

Interesting, noteworthy development.
This same development process can be seen in other arts notably in taiji, talking about "yi"
and attended processes. Japoneses arts in their focus on "aiki"
the recent demos discussed.

Now, the training is based on physical sensitivity and sensorial mind awareness – not thinking of any techniques for dealing with particular situations.

It is an art of unifying the mind and body of an individual. There are a set of basic movements and only two forms in the system to cultivate ‘chi’ and for health preservation.

Other than that, the students practice sticky or spinning hands for sensitivity and applications. Master Jimmy Heow stressed on understanding of “Liq Hok” (力学) – the use of force using body mechanics to control the opponents.

Sounds like the route that taiji took using "push hands" ultimately moving towards competitive formats based on skill sets cultivated.
Last edited by windwalker on Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:54 am

Isn't this just the basics of any internal system
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Subitai on Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:28 pm

wayne hansen wrote:Isn't this just the basics of any internal system

Totally what I was thinking... I'd like to say +1 to Waynes comment. Cheers.

But it was interesting seeing the teacher talk about Shaolin Origins and also Southern Chinese style kung fu as part of the base of this style.

Did anyone else notice for a second there, that teacher doing the Original Southern stuff look very similar to Southern Crane. SKip to about ( 12:00 )
I mean parts of it looked almost like what Gojo Ryu Guys do when they are doing the San Chin form...albeit they are allot more harder and forceful.
===============================================================================================================
This next part, i'm not saying that guy doesn't have skill in what he does...i'm just throwing out some comments.
It is admirable that he says he will not attack but only stick 1st to gain control. I'm not saying it's not possible and mabe a rare few can do it...Hell I also do this in my own fashion. But you really have to know what you're doing to pull it off reliably and I can feel John Wang already itching about this and saying that it's too passive :)

Let me be more clear...reaching out to create a stick point or bridge is very dangerous and will leave you very open to get KTFO if you are NOT SUPREMELY COMPETENT IN HOW TO DO IT.

*** Creating a stickpoint is harder to do VS any setting where a committed striker doesn't care that you have a stick point and just hits through or torques around your bridge. It may not be pretty, but if enough get through and land...it starts the snowball effect and eventually a person using this tactic can get overwhelmed.

Why does this happen?
(1st) Simple, if you try to control a person without hurting him or at least putting a little fear into them (or demonstrating your ability to also hurt them in kind...), then they don't respect you. With out that, they can and sometimes DO...... walk all over you. This is proven and mostly what happens in a serious fight unless it's some sort of "In the park more friendly type exchange"

(2) The whole notion of off balancing someone or not letting them find your center does not necessarily deter a person who still is committed to get you down or at least some how crash into you. {whereby the overall goal after clashing into you would be to further press the attack)
Example,
-Just cause you off balance a grappler who's standing...it doesn't mean he won't use his falling momentum to just slide ride into a take down.
-Just cause you push a striker back or even onto his heels it doesn't mean he won't still be able to throw a half hearted hook on the way out. Even if the hooks power was diminished by 40%, it can still set up a come back combo to finish a guy.
Subitai
Huajing

Postby Trick on Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:57 pm

a big part of the Chinese Malaysian population hail from Fujian province. Wuxuquan(Five ancestor boxing) is as I understand widespread in Malaysia, a core exercise is the ‘sam chien’ - Sanchin in Karates Goju-ryu and Uechi-ryu styles
Trick

Postby GrahamB on Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:41 am

Where are the other practitioners of “Fung Yang Xing Yi Quan”?
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby middleway on Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:58 am

This next part, i'm not saying that guy doesn't have skill in what he does...i'm just throwing out some comments.

Subitai great post and very important points. +1

Why does this happen?
(2) The whole notion of off balancing someone or not letting them find your center does not necessarily deter a person who still is committed to get you down or at least some how crash into you. {whereby the overall goal after clashing into you would be to further press the attack)
Example,
-Just cause you off balance a grappler who's standing...it doesn't mean he won't use his falling momentum to just slide ride into a take down.
-Just cause you push a striker back or even onto his heels it doesn't mean he won't still be able to throw a half hearted hook on the way out. Even if the hooks power was diminished by 40%, it can still set up a come back combo to finish a guy.

I especially like this. I don't think many people who advocate off balancing the opponent from touch (which I also do advocate to an extent) consider this stuff ... and its super important that they do if that is their approach.

thanks.
Last edited by middleway on Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:27 am

Yep - the "you can't find my centre" stuff is nice to play with, but it doesn't stop somebody just changing level - dropping - and going for a blasting double leg, putting you on your butt.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:14 am

Hard to understand but some good little bits here and there. Another nice vid
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby C.J.W. on Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:48 am

The comment I have for this particular clip is the same I have for Sam's: Can they still do what they do in non-PH/sticky hand settings?

In my experience (mainly as a Bagua guy), to be able to apply sticking well in free fighting, you also need excellent footwork as well as grappling skills. Footwork is necessary to keep up with the opponent as he tries to break free from your attempt to establish and maintain contact, while grappling skills like throwing and locking allow you to quickly off-balance and take the opponent down once a sticking/ controlling point is established, as opposed to just pulling or pushing the opponent away.

I also personally feel that demonstrations of this type should always come with a caveat, lest viewers be misguided into believing that being able to stick and control the opponent is the end-all and be-all of IMA fighting skill.
Last edited by C.J.W. on Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:54 am

GrahamB wrote:Where are the other practitioners of “Fung Yang Xing Yi Quan”?

Our grandmaster chok Seng kam practiced Feng Yang before he was bested by our grandmaster yap Sui ting
He switched to his system but retained the Feng Yang pole forms
wayne hansen
Wuji

Next

Return to Video Links