Mantis instructor wins in "MMA".

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Mantis instructor wins in "MMA".

Postby williamwilson666 on Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:19 pm

Pretty decent performance in the cage from a Northen Syle Mantis practitioner. His first (victorious) fight is on the same youtube channel, too.

williamwilson666
Anjing

Re: Mantis instructor wins in "MMA".

Postby FigureFour on Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:15 pm

is he victorious in this fight too? are we to assume hes the guy on the left at the start, without the stripe on his shorts?
FigureFour
Santi

Postby williamwilson666 on Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:17 pm

Yes, he wins both his fights.
williamwilson666
Anjing

Postby jpaton on Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:49 am

could someone familiar with mantis point out were he's using mantis techniques? looks pretty much like standard mma: a little boxing, a little muay thai, a little wrestling...

some of the mantis i've seen is very stylized and looks quite different from what he's doing.
jpaton
Mingjing

Postby mixjourneyman on Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:53 am

Excuse my possible ignorance here: I went to a Mantis class in Toronto once and most of the class was dedicated to a combo that look like jab/cross/hook and also doing low roundhouse kicks that looked sort of Thai'ish. I only ever went to that one class, but to me it looked like they were basically doing a lot of similar stuff to Thai boxing except with a bit of a Chinese flavour. :)
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:07 am

when you are bound by rules, your style will adapt to the rules and become less stylistic.

you only see style differences in solo forms or choreographed stuff anyway.

when it comes to fighting, all there is, is Ti,Da,Shuai, & Na. lol
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby ashe on Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:21 am

There are differences in strategy though.
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby jpaton on Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:58 am

Darth Rock&Roll wrote:when you are bound by rules, your style will adapt to the rules and become less stylistic.

you only see style differences in solo forms or choreographed stuff anyway.

when it comes to fighting, all there is, is Ti,Da,Shuai, & Na. lol

mma is pretty light in rules when compared to other sport fighting. as far as i can tell a lot of the rules are there to allow ground fighting (i.e. no elbows to the back or back of the head, no fish-hooking, no knee to the head unless your opponents is on both feet...) but it doesn't seem like these rules would negate someones comment to a particular stand up martial art. when i get the chance to spar (which is unfortunately not very often*) i actively try to stick to my game plan as someone who studies tai chi and yi chuan...well, as long as my wind holds out...

i'm not criticizing whoever was fighting in the vid, he did a good job, but if he was commented to mantis i think it would show in how he fights.

(*shameless plug: anyone in the albany ny area who'd like to do some sparring let me know)
jpaton
Mingjing

Postby FigureFour on Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:28 pm

i only watched the posted clip (i dont really like squinting to try to see whats going on), but if you think about it.... how much stand-up was going on in that clip anyway? there was that 2 seconds or so in the beginning when he throws a combination and then he throws one high roundhouse later and thats it. of course theres not gonna be any mantis when the fight is on the ground and (someone correct me if im wrong) i dont think wed be able to see any stylistic mantis differences in the clinch.

mma rules mostly have an effect on CMA kicking techniques. with those small gloves there are a LOT of options still left to show your style. so what would you mantis guys try to use or want to see then?
FigureFour
Santi

Postby Wanderingdragon on Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:58 pm

right you are I see no Mantis boxing here
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby Overlord on Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:11 am

The essence of mantis is its "shoufa" or hand work, without it, you lose the mantis touch. You can be good fighter without being good in "shoufa" ie without mantis flavor, but then what is the point? Keep in mind the mantis infused 18 families of chinese martial arts hand work. I am not good in mantis, so that is all i can say..... :)
Last edited by Overlord on Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Overlord

Postby JAB on Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:31 am

That is a very general statement that I would not necessarily agree with.
It does not "look" like Mantis because one does not play a form in a fight. Fighting is chaotic at best. It will never "look" like a style. We are human. We all fight pretty much the same way (with arms and legs). When will you guys get these pre-conceived notions out of your minds?

Jake
JAB

Postby jpaton on Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:06 am

JAB wrote:That is a very general statement that I would not necessarily agree with.
It does not "look" like Mantis because one does not play a form in a fight. Fighting is chaotic at best. It will never "look" like a style. We are human. We all fight pretty much the same way (with arms and legs). When will you guys get these pre-conceived notions out of your minds?

Jake

i agree and disagree. if someone diligently studies a particular martial art, lets say mantis, then when he fights some flavor of it would show through and be recognizable to other students of the same art. I have no expectation that a mma sporting event looks like kung-fu theater.

I agree that a factor in how humans fight is a common body but that way of fighting generally would look nothing like what we see on tv. The reason most people fight the same on tv is because they train the same. People who have never trained to fight mma or boxing or haven’t seen mma or boxing don’t fight like that. What we see on tv isn’t based on a common body it’s based on the common influence of training techniques or what we are exposed to.

You also forgot or didn’t think about a factor more important then a common body which is a common mental/physical reaction to stressful situations, this has a much greater impact on how we fight then sharing 2 arms. Profession fighters have to be trained not to fight the way people instinctively fight. It can take several years to over come basic human mental and physical fighting instincts. jab, jab cross is not integral to human nature, rush the guy knock him down and slam his head against the ground is.

again I don’t want to take anything away from this guy or mma. I just think he may have abandoned his mantis training for mma training. Which is why he fights like he trains for mma…
jpaton
Mingjing

Postby JAB on Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:00 am

I look forward to seeing the clips you post of "real" Mantis fighters, fighting in "real" context (ring or street is fine), where they show "real" mantis skills.
Thanks
jake
JAB

Postby jpaton on Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:21 am

how bout you hold your breath until i do
jpaton
Mingjing

Next

Return to Video Links