What is the spiral force - Dr lam

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

What is the spiral force - Dr lam

Postby littlepanda on Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:43 am

littlepanda
Anjing

Re: What is the spiral force - Dr lam

Postby origami_itto on Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:04 am

I checked out a Paul Lam DVD from the library and copied it to practice from way back when I first started my Taijiquan journey. Before I'd even found my first teacher.
It's very weird to see him without glasses or silk pajamas!

As far as I know/remember, and I could be wrong, his practice is 100% solo forms/"health", so his speaking to the working of forces, despite his reknowned mastery, has to be purely theoretical.

I'd love to be wrong, does he have any push hands videos? I just ask because I believe you need four hands to understand taijiquan.
Last edited by origami_itto on Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby northern_mantis on Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:58 am

I quite like it, there's some fun ideas to play with in there for the arm waving health crowd. I like it when he extrapolates to the very large spiral that manifests as a straight line in practice but has the spiralling intent. The explanation somewhat loses it's way when it moves to the torso and legs though.

Agree that it could do with at least someone to shove around to prove the point.
northern_mantis
Huajing

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:38 pm

Paul lam did not teach pushing but had a guy in his organisation with a hard style background who did and also taught application
Unfortunately I can't remember his name but he is on some of the early tapes
He now has some ex members of our orginazitions teaching pushing at his yearly workshops
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Return to Video Links