JiuJitsu over 40

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

JiuJitsu over 40

Postby origami_itto on Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:36 pm

Kind of an old video, and this isn't IMA per se, but I definitely think it applies to any lifelong training

The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Re: JiuJitsu over 40

Postby GrahamB on Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:06 pm

That's how I roll.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby everything on Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:03 pm

that is cool. kinda makes me want to try it again. not really. but almost.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Trick on Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:23 am

If you’re into Swedish(Durewall) JiuJitsu you can probably do it if you would be at 140 years of age. There’s many kind of JJ, not only BJJ out there
Trick

Postby vagabond on Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:12 pm

no competition, defense against knives and paws? swedish nationalist jiujitsu sounds kinda shitty
vagabond
Huajing

Postby Trick on Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:52 pm

vagabond wrote:no competition, defense against knives and paws? swedish nationalist jiujitsu sounds kinda shitty

That it might be, it’s(the durewall JJ)designed to follow Swedish laws and regulations(on self defence), and is not an sportive JJ………I just wanted to point out that the headline of this thread just mention ‘Jiu Jitsu’ and that there are many such, i won’t take it that Brazilian Gi-wrestling take monopoly of the JJ naming 8-) …………But when think about it, and this I have to look up, the Durewall JJ might not spell it Jiu Jitsu, but instead Jiu Jutsu, or maybe it is Ju Jitsu, but I’m sure not Ju Jutsu…I’ll be back with an eventual correction 8-)
Trick

Postby Trick on Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:13 am

Trick wrote:
vagabond wrote:no competition, defense against knives and paws? swedish nationalist jiujitsu sounds kinda shitty

That it might be, it’s(the durewall JJ)designed to follow Swedish laws and regulations(on self defence), and is not an sportive JJ………I just wanted to point out that the headline of this thread just mention ‘Jiu Jitsu’ and that there are many such, i won’t take it that Brazilian Gi-wrestling take monopoly of the JJ naming 8-) …………But when think about it, and this I have to look up, the Durewall JJ might not spell it Jiu Jitsu, but instead Jiu Jutsu, or maybe it is Ju Jitsu, but I’m sure not Ju Jutsu…I’ll be back with an eventual correction 8-)

Yup, there’s a (S)JiuJitsu 8-)
Trick

Postby vagabond on Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:36 am

seem's like a bad move, to establish a jeiojitso style as a means of asserting some kind of national purity. is this the first grappling style designed as a reflection of the rule of law rather than growing out of a group of people all practicing to defend themselves and each other? where's the fun in that? and no competition? i suppose you can't have swede's embarrassing swede's, but without competing they won't be winning anything, ever, and embarrassment seems inevitable. either that or the entire practice descends into animistic ritual. in which case, does it spark joy?

the germans went and established purity laws of their own, in 1516, because they were afraid witches were brewing beers for nefarious purposes, and look what happened to them. no more witches, no more psychoactive beers, no fun at all

stealing some other nation's distinct, socio-ethnically rooted practice and calling it your own seems to be having a moment. witness the evolution of the wikipedia page on yin and yang

Taijitu
Main article: Taijitu
The principle of yin and yang is represented in Taoism by the Taijitu (literally "Diagram of the Supreme Ultimate"). The term is commonly used to mean the simple "divided circle" form, but may refer to any of several schematic diagrams representing these principles, such as the swastika, common to Hinduism, Buddhism, and Jainism. Similar symbols have also appeared in other cultures, such as in Celtic art and Roman shield markings.[32][33][34]
vagabond
Huajing

Postby origami_itto on Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:25 am

And lest we forget there's the Israeli variant.
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby vagabond on Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:33 am

lol. you can tell he' a bad dude cause he's clinging to his payas rather than giving ten percent of the lands over to the poor so they can feed themselves and have something to bring to market
vagabond
Huajing

Postby aamc on Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:37 pm

I didn't get past the first 30 seconds. So some 28 years olds can produce a video about why people don't train past 40. Do they go back and ask those that quit why they quit? No, instead they just say we studied our parents and here are 5 reasons that will keep you training. Sounds like nonsense. People might quit because of jobs, family, even the instructors. Oh well.
aamc
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:18 pm

Actually the one on the left was 37, and they go into all those things
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:47 pm

vagabond wrote:seem's like a bad move, to establish a jeiojitso style as a means of asserting some kind of national purity.

Actually there’s nothing named ‘Swedish’ JJ, therss the ‘Durewallsystem’ wich it’s aim is to follow least force on force resistant and least harm to aggressor. There’s the JuJutsu-Kai which has most followers since it has a sportive side to it, Ju jujutsu world championships were recently held in Sweden, so nothing about “national purity” there……Actually when it comes to BJJ, GJJ would be more suitable so no feelings of national purity would mistakingly come around 8-)
Trick

Postby middleway on Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:05 am

I am a couple of months off 40. I train as hard now as i did at 20. I roll with 20 something top level people and dont get smashed all the time. Yes there are days where I am outdone, but I am still gunning for these youngsters and pushing to beat them. IMO that keeps me young.

I have had my share of injuries, of tore muscles, of snapped bones. But one thing is for sure ... when i let up i feel worse physically, mentally and emotionally.

I recently was training twice or three times a day, 1 x hard BJJ session a day, 1 x 4 - 6 mile run, and often one MartialBody session. This was leading up to Europeans, I had over a stone to lose in 4 weeks. I can safely say that before i stepped on the mat at the comp I felt bloody amazing, strong, free from aches and pains, slim, and alert.

Of course, listening to David Goggins book 'Cant Hurt Me' during my 4 week training probably pushed me on. ;)

I think there is a lot of 'excusing' ourselves as we age. Its very easy to do so. But really there is no reason at all that we cant be the fittest we have ever been at 50 years old.

Fun story:
At euros i was in the hotel gym throwing down a 40 minutes of sprints intervals on the treadmill. A couple of young full time athletes from Gracie Barra came in and were training. We said our hellos and I finished my training. Afterwards we were chatting and i mentioned i was competing the next day. Their response was 'Oh I only though it was masters athletes tomorrow'. I said 'Yeh i am nearly 40'. They both were completely stumped, stating they thought i was about 28.

I am sure people will say 'Yeh you wait 10 years' ... but sorry, i dont buy it. I can point to numerous 50 year old in amazing shape. I may be proven wrong, but I will need to be proven wrong to believe such things.

Cheers.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:42 am

Come back when you've got kids and tell me all that again ;D
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB