Internal Guy in MMA

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Internal Guy in MMA

Postby oldEurope on Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:04 am

Not quite the outcome you would expect with the title...

He´s one of Ismet Himmets (WDP / Wu Dang Pai) students, I think he focusses on XingYi but cross trains BJJ.

Highlights:

Full fight:

Looking forward to the inevitable how-internal-is-he-really discussion ;)
oldEurope
Santi

Re: Internal Guy in MMA

Postby windwalker on Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:15 am

oldEurope wrote:Not quite the outcome you would expect with the title...

He´s one of Ismet Himmets (WDP / Wu Dang Pai) students, I think he focusses on XingYi but cross trains BJJ.

Looking forward to the inevitable how-internal-is-he-really discussion ;)

Couple of ways to look at it.
Style, method, effect.

What would be or is the distinguishing hallmarks
of what you or others might feel could be or are qualifiers
characteristic of what some label as internal..
Last edited by windwalker on Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby cgtomash on Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:55 am

Just from watching the video and not knowing who is who, I can't tell which one is internal...
cgtomash
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:07 am

you can`t
`cause internal is internally hidden :)
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Trick on Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:26 am

Word “Wu Dang” = internal
Trick

Postby Wanderingdragon on Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:16 am

The only thing I see that can be called internal s the will to step up and slug it out.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:49 am

cgtomash wrote:Just from watching the video and not knowing who is who, I can't tell which one is internal...

Ah, but that's because we've only heard stories of people using internal.

Personally, I think the distinction is useless outside of training. Both guys look like they are doing the same sport. I imagine that if they were swimming, running, playing the drums, or doing ballet, they'd look like what they were doing, not necessarily how they'd trained. At least we can tell from the video what the guys are practicing and training for.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Giles on Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:01 pm

It's great to get in there and test yourself, get the experience, no matter how much you manage to bring the specialties of your own style into the ring or not. I trained there for a year or so, was hoping to do the same, but sadly age + family and work commitments prevented me from getting to the stage where I went into the ring 'live'. Still, gained lots of experience just by training, rolling and sparring there. :)

For me there was an orientation phase under the new conditions where a lot of what I was training tai chi-wise first went out of the window and nothing worked but after a while it was starting to come back in this environment and helping me equal up to younger or stronger guys. But not always, of course. Wish I had been able to continue the process but it wasn't to be.

The referee in the video, Wolf, is an excellent teacher and definite Good Guy, or at least that's how I found him to be.
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby Wanderingdragon on Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:47 am

Internal or external, it is a discipline. If this is the first fight I understand, but if this is the reality of their sparring, they are clearly no where near the discipline of the internal arts. Every hand strike came from around the world nothing driving up the middle, no intercepts, no control of core movement, stepping is completely absent. Even in your first bout, that front kick is tailor add for pao and that adjustment could have easily been made. Again I say, it takes a lot of guff, just to step up, the mind is the first internal, so good on em.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby MistyMonkeyMethod on Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:35 pm

WDP is essentially romanticised, stylised dance choreography for millennials, you get what you paid for.
“Make everything in you an ear, each atom of your being, and you will hear at every moment what the Source is whispering to you, just to you and for you, without any need for my words or anyone else’s.”— Rumi
MistyMonkeyMethod
Mingjing

Postby Wanderingdragon on Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:02 am

Well done
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby HotSoup on Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:34 am

MistyMonkeyMethod wrote:WDP is essentially romanticised, stylised dance choreography for millennials, you get what you paid for.

Shaolin 2.0, in other words.
HotSoup
Anjing

Postby Giles on Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:50 am

Just to clear up any possible misunderstandings: I live in Berlin but I don't do WDP.
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby cloudz on Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:54 am

HotSoup wrote:
MistyMonkeyMethod wrote:WDP is essentially romanticised, stylised dance choreography for millennials, you get what you paid for.

Shaolin 2.0, in other words.

Like the rest of TCMA in other words; a knock off of a knock off.
Last edited by cloudz on Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby HotSoup on Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:07 am

cloudz wrote:Like the rest of TCMA in other words; a knock off of a knock off.

Well, to a certain degree. With a bit more extrapolation you can say that the whole human culture is just like that, the layers of knock-offs. What I meant was rather the touristic business endeavors. Shaolin was the first shot, but after it'd started fading away, Wudang took its place. Now I'm wondering what will be next, Emei or Tibet (after completion of the assimilation program)?
HotSoup
Anjing

Next

Return to Video Links