Disciple of Chen Zhonghua wins a Muay Thai Gold Belt

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Disciple of Chen Zhonghua wins a Muay Thai Gold Belt

Postby Steve James on Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:38 am

Well, all I can say is good on him. Yeah, maybe tcc to his muay thai and sanda to another level. At any rate, disciple or not, he's not an example of someone who "studied just tcc from a young age." And, if he didn't need his prior muay thai, sanda, or mma training, then it's amazing that Chen tcc hasn't produced hundreds of guys like him before this. This is what we should have been seeing all along.

I applaud the guy. I'm just a bit jaded. I think people are talking about him only because he's a student of Chen style tcc, and that it's in the context of all the negative publicity surrounding the relevance and effectiveness of cma. I.e., all the questions raised by people like Xu.

Maybe it'd be interesting to know what he means by Chen's "gas field" (:)), but it would make more sense for Chen to challenge Xu than for Yang to do so. I'm also interested to know more about "practical boxing." Is it something that Chen developed before this? Was Yang the first student to train it? And, how will it be passed down? Will the training be similar to what people had already been doing?

Choosing the term "practical" is also interesting. It reminds me of Dan Doherty's "Practical" tcc, which is much older and has plenty of fighters.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:14 am

Steve,

I believe Hong called his style of Tai chi ‘Chen practical method’ or smilar because he made some changes to the Chen method.

So practical would be the brand name of the style, hence practical boxing, etc...
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:46 am

GrahamB wrote:Steve,

I believe Hong called his style of Tai chi ‘Chen practical method’ or smilar because he made some changes to the Chen method.

So practical would be the brand name of the style, hence practical boxing, etc...

Ok. My point is really that, if what Yang is doing is representative of a particular tcc style's training (boxing), then it's not new at all. I think the idea of practicality is great. I think there are more than a few tcc schools that have always been competing using tcc in "practical" ways for a long time. I don't think that any success legitimizes "tcc" or particular "tcc styles." If someone wants to do what Yang does in the video, he'll have to train as Yang did. Tcc first, then muay thai, or muay thai, then tcc, it doesn't matter.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:09 pm

As best as i can make out he was only training with Chen from August 2018
Last edited by wayne hansen on Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:21 pm

Steve,

Your post reminded me about DD and his Practical TCC guys. They used to be quite a big deal and now I hardly ever hear about them at all. I think it’s because MMA has just blown up as a style and destroyed their ecological niche. And the rest of the TCC world has just carried on down the ‘internal’ tricks road of the Sergio and Misner seminar curcuit.

How things change.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby cloudz on Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:35 am

GrahamB wrote:Steve,

Your post reminded me about DD and his Practical TCC guys. They used to be quite a big deal and now I hardly ever hear about them at all. I think it’s because MMA has just blown up as a style and destroyed their ecological niche. And the rest of the TCC world has just carried on down the ‘internal’ tricks road of the Sergio and Misner seminar curcuit.

How things change.

That's fairly interesting of you to say.. I re started training with Neil Rossiak before Xmas, who was the trainer of Sami Berik - who apart from Nick 'Oz'. - has fought at the highest level of any other tai chi trained person that I've heard about. Nick trained quite a lot with the Oxford group for his last uk mma fight, (already with some background in the art) so that fight should probably count too, which is why I mention him. But anyone approaching higher levels simply has to expose themselves to cross training. The main reason is that the pool of people in KF that can get you up there is tiny and they have had to go outside too. Neil, for example trained with London Shootfighters back when he made his foray into the earliest mma in the UK - Vale tudo back then.

I only get to Neils park sessions when I can, as I lucked out with him training Sundays in a park opposite my house! :D
He always had some guys when I was around before that would compete full contact regularly, now I expect it's only push hands. But I am looking forward to meeting some of them to see if there's any decent fighters .. ;D

I think what you say probably has some legs. What I've noticed from the periphery is that the full contact competition scene that DD really established here has slid downhill as of late. I would need to research it better to get up to speed but I think if you turned up this year at the British Open you wouldn't see a lot of full contact fights - if any, and I would wonder how many of those guys would be from DD groups. I don't think his groups are training fighters for the British Open as they once did, I'm pretty sure of that. The overall pool, not just from TCC, is getting even smaller. The Shaolin temple in London has a Sanda team (they did have anyway), which I imagine is not far off the best in the UK. The BCCMA still has comps, but it all seems a bit stagnant and their ruleset I think is supposed to be semi contact. They even put on Chinese wrestling, or did, but again I can only imagine the pool of people doing it in the UK is vanishingly small. The Kuoshou competition that was set up, I really don't know how that's fairing either.

After MT and MMA, and what with the rise of grappling too drawing people it's no wonder. Given, in general, the kind of people Kung Fu and TCC attract; "the fighters" were never a big percentage anyway, not really. More so for TCC perhaps. So there's a pretty low ceiling for KF competitors. Anyone young and half decent probably has way better avenues and choices of training, than just lucking out to find a half decent KF/ TC school they will get what they need to be competitive in combat sports.

I have to say, I really admire how Chen Zonghua supports/ encourages push hands/ taiji wrestling as well as Full contact stuff. All KF teachers really need to be more like that.
Last edited by cloudz on Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:48 am, edited 5 times in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby cloudz on Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:27 am

ha,

funny how these things happen; would you adam and eve it.
just heard about this through the group what's app.

One of Neil Rosiak's guys is fighting this week 2nd march 2019 at the BCCMA 'Sanda fight night 7' (IWUF sanda rules2017)
so there'll be at least one TCC guy representing.

If any public video surfaces I'll link it up.
Last edited by cloudz on Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby richardman on Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:54 am

Personally, I am more intrigued by "has been a child since childhood." ;D
richardman
Mingjing

Postby shoebox55 on Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:55 am

Steve James wrote:Well, all I can say is good on him. Yeah, maybe tcc to his muay thai and sanda to another level. At any rate, disciple or not, he's not an example of someone who "studied just tcc from a young age." And, if he didn't need his prior muay thai, sanda, or mma training, then it's amazing that Chen tcc hasn't produced hundreds of guys like him before this. This is what we should have been seeing all along.

I applaud the guy. I'm just a bit jaded. I think people are talking about him only because he's a student of Chen style tcc, and that it's in the context of all the negative publicity surrounding the relevance and effectiveness of cma. I.e., all the questions raised by people like Xu.

I got excited when I saw this video because I thought this guy had only training experience with chen tcc. I am with you a bit jaded.

It would be interesting to see videos of him prior to this event to see the difference in his fighting. I wonder if he only trains exclusively practical method or still trains in the other arts. One thing though is this guy looks well trained from a conditioning stand point, he probably hits the weights, does proper nutrition, cardio.
shoebox55
Mingjing

Postby shoebox55 on Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:41 pm

marvin8 wrote:

Hongxing Kong vs Yang Sun sanda bout joins GLORY 46 SuperFight Series
By Press Release Oct 11, 2017, 5:05pm EDT

GUANGZHOU, CHINA – This Saturday, Oct. 14, the world's premier kickboxing league makes its debut in mainland China with a historic event featuring the first global broadcast of a Professional Sanda bout. Originally scheduled as part of GLORY 46 China, this special attraction between Hongxing Kong and Yang Sun – to be contested at 60 kilograms under Professional Sanda rules – will now take place during the GLORY 46 SuperFight Series, completing a seven-fight card.

17:30 – 19:38

GLORY Kickboxing
Published on Oct 26, 2017

GLORY 46 Guangzhou: Rewind Show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD954mDBLf4&t=17m30s
[/quote]

This the same fighter? Doesn't look like it
shoebox55
Mingjing

Postby yeniseri on Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:16 pm

The adage of 'adapt or perish" is still a great strategy!
One has to be able to see what works or not and adapt accordinglly ;D
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Previous

Return to Video Links