How To Develop Peng Jin

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

How To Develop Peng Jin

Postby origami_itto on Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:16 pm

Here's a video by a local (San Antonio) player. He's pretty good and very dedicated.

I haven't actually watched it yet, but he asks to share it so here goes, I'm sure he'd appreciate your thoughts.

The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Re: How To Develop Peng Jin

Postby Subitai on Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:00 pm

Seems like a real nice guy...good information for most beginners. He goes into some details ...that's good. If I were his friend helping him or giving suggestions I would have gave him some "interviewer Style" questions for him to answer. For example, (Knowing what I know about Taiji) I would have asked him to explain "relaxing the shoulder and sinking the elbow" in his Peng postures a little better. I would have gone into more detail about those.

Newer students often ask about how to change from one step to another (or strange direction) without feeling OFF balance or wierd. I use "open and close" to explain this...it's something that they find easy to comprehend. When you pivot open your foot...you also open your hip socket. Just saying every step can become a kick can also be a can o worms imo.

Other common questions beginners might ask are: 1) How or what parts of the foot takes the weight distribution. 2) what kind of shoes to wear If at all. 3) tones of breath questions and on and on...

At around 20min when he started to explain his wall push I was a little worried that he was going to give up one of my personal wall pushing secrets. I'm glad he didn't say it. :P
Subitai
Huajing

Postby nicklinjm on Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:01 pm

Nice video, covers the basics well :)
nicklinjm
Wuji

Postby Appledog on Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:38 am

This is in the bin with some of the worst tai chi videos I have ever seen... utter waste of time lol
Appledog
Wuji

Postby robert on Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:10 pm

Robert W. Smith wrote:Westerners do not want to learn Tai Chi, they want to teach it.
The method of practicing this boxing art is nothing more than opening and closing, passive and active. The subtlety of the art is based entirely upon their alternations. Chen Xin
robert
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:02 pm

Only watched half the tape
What he says is good but he doesn't do what he says
It may be his bad knees but his walking is not good
When he says don't turn the hips he does
In kicking he looses balance
In walking he rolls his pelvis back
He talks about tucking the chin but does the opposite when pulling the string from above
I wonder how long he has been training and with who he demos walking from 4 schools
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Return to Video Links