Flying Monk 31 - Using Internal Arts for Real Fighting

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Flying Monk 31 - Using Internal Arts for Real Fighting

Postby 100kilos on Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:21 pm

Hello guys. Just wanted to chime in a bit. I have been a student of Serge’s tradition for about four years now, so hopefully I could shed some light on the training and the tradition. The biggest thing that impressed me about the tradition is that serge’s Long time students are really really good. Jeremy a disciple of his is a great example of how the tradition is transmitted. The style is practical and simple but will grow more complex when you get the initial basic training down. We have two man partner drills AND we have controlled free sparring to keep things alive. Obviously the video was specific about about promoting a book and seminar, that’s why I wanted to chime in from experience and tell you that what serge teaches is very good as long as you train it. There is a lot of bitter to endure in the beginning stages but you will see significant changes. If there are any questions I will try my best to answer them. Also if you really want to know how the tradition works you can always go to see serges students in the UK and France, (not to mention in NY, SF, Montreal and Dublin). Any body in the UK should go see Darren and find out for yourself, I am sure you will be impressed with the skill of serges students or better yet head to France and meet the man himself. I am happy I searched him out when I did.
100kilos
Anjing

Postby Trick on Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:05 am

Click-baits are a part of the unbalanced age we’re currently going through 8-)
Trick

Postby cloudz on Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:35 am

More importantly, where can I get my hands on that book!
I'm pretty sure it will be the bomb, best look.
Serge is probably the worlds premier expert in Daoist boxing,
Make no mistake!

2 exclamation marks already, cannot be fake!

word :D
Last edited by cloudz on Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby middleway on Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:51 am

Pi / Beng combo. Something I trained a lot after feeling both Alex and Serge demonstrate its merit.

The 'simplicity' of the strategy belies the depth of training to effectively implement it. Only when you have deeply refined power does this method come into its own ... when it does, its completely frightening. I will never forget a fiery Mr Kozma applying this on a group of Seminar attendees to much wincing in agony and shocked faces! haha.

When talking about having three techniques he says if your opponent does not move too much.

I would wager he is not suggesting that the opponent chooses not to move to much. Knowing how Serge applies his heavy striking skills the opponent will likely not be moving because he has stopped them from doing so. In fact he says as much just after.

Thanks for the interview Alex.
Last edited by middleway on Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby everything on Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:45 am

Trick wrote:Click-baits are a part of the unbalanced age we’re currently going through 8-)

scroll down to learn the one secret you won't believe this soccer mom learned to take her taijiquan to the next level and gain real internal pow-wah in under 30 days.
every headline has to be like that now - it's science - you can a/b test all your shitty headlines and prove it, and hence people keep using these stupid headlines because the data show them that they get more clicks. :'(
Last edited by everything on Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby lineofintent on Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:15 pm

Thanks Chris, many more to come.

The part where Serge talks about the Xian Xingyiquan fighter was interesting, a big teaching there. Guo Yun Shen may have given a nod of approval (followed by a Beng....)...

Thanks everyone for all the orders of the Daoist Boxing book from this thread, including George...sent today.

Yes it really is a great book, hope someone can give it a detailed review on here.

But for those looking for a way to make these 'internal arts' work well in dangerous moments - and this is not as easy as we may imagine - there is enough in this video and book to base a solid practice on, if you already practice.
lineofintent
Wuji

Postby Trick on Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:41 pm

middleway wrote:Pi / Beng combo. Something I trained a lot after feeling both Alex and Serge demonstrate its merit.

The 'simplicity' of the strategy belies the depth of training to effectively implement it. Only when you have deeply refined power does this method come into its own ... when it does, its completely frightening. I will never forget a fiery Mr Kozma applying this on a group of Seminar attendees to much wincing in agony and shocked faces! haha.

When talking about having three techniques he says if your opponent does not move too much.

I would wager he is not suggesting that the opponent chooses not to move to much. Knowing how Serge applies his heavy striking skills the opponent will likely not be moving because he has stopped them from doing so. In fact he says as much just after.

Thanks for the interview Alex.

SLT said
You must examine this deeply.[/b] Then when going through your practice, the myriad techniques all come out of the three-substance posture. This posture is the gateway to the method, the main tool in Xingyi Boxing
Trick

Postby Trick on Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:43 pm

So anyone that seriously practice XYQ know and understand this
Trick

Postby cloudz on Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:44 am

Hey,

I wasn't really aware of the books release, so glad to have found this thread yesterday. The contents look great and I always enjoy Serges clarity and depth, for me the language has always found the right mark between tradition, authenticity, current understanding and first person experiential descriptive guidance.

This is no easy feat in todays cluttered and confused offerings, wherever they may derive and whatever they may be about.
Thanks to you both for continuing to share the knowledge and work you do.

Excited to receive the book, I already know it will guide parts of my training for years to come!
Last edited by cloudz on Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby lineofintent on Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:42 am

Thanks George, yes Serge's teaching is really able to explain quite profound concepts and methods in a way we can utilise.

I also derive much benefit from Sun Lu Tang's works but some of it is quite codified, some is direct, and of course you need the oral transmission to bring it truly to life.
lineofintent
Wuji

Postby Trick on Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:41 am

I’ll guess It’s all codified to the inexperienced, and for the experienced it’s a pat on the writers back
Trick

Postby Bao on Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:22 am

Trick wrote:I’ll guess It’s all codified to the inexperienced, and for the experienced it’s a pat on the writers back

What do you mean? This quote?

You must examine this deeply.[/b] Then when going through your practice, the myriad techniques all come out of the three-substance posture. This posture is the gateway to the method, the main tool in Xingyi Boxing

I don’t think practice only means that you can interpret it. It’s something most of Chinese people should be able to understand instinctively because this kind of thinking is in the Chinese culture. Tai Yi --> Yin Yang —> si Xiang—> Bagua—-> 64H —> Wan Wu

Santishi means gathering, establishing. Movement = Taiji. In movement, Piquan has all of the other elements. The Idea is Taiyi. Through action, the five elements are established. Myriad of techniques refers to Wan Wu or the ten thousand things which means everything there is, or here every thing you possibly could do. So santishi is the the core and main condition. Without understanding the santishi and at all time establishing the conditions of the santishi there is no Xingyiquan.
Last edited by Bao on Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:11 am

It mean that the texts of such as SLT will(mostly?)only be understood when the reader himself is already in the know how, the reader and the writer could be equal companions(pat on the back), or “foes”(not pat on the back 8-) )
Trick

Postby origami_itto on Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:30 am

I thought San Ti Shi meant "three powers shape"
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Bao on Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:37 am

三体势

三, San = Three

体, Ti = Can mean body, system or organization etc.

势, Shi = Can mean posture, tendency, situation, influence etc, but also sometimes “power”. This character has gone through changes of meaning and is nowadays sometimes used a bit different than in Classical Chinese. (And when the characters were simplified, some words or combinations of characters were merged into only one character, which has had an impact on words used with this and many other characters) This can have to do something with the ambiguity of meaning as you need to understand the name from the classical way to use it.

Santishi is a name of a posture. “Shi” is often translated to and understood as posture. But a direct translation of Santi shi depends on how you understand the meaning of the name. IMO, it just means that through the posture, the body, (which is made up of different parts, a system,) is divided and organized into different “threes”. It’s hard to translate the meaning directly, as, traditionally, Chinese characters are often used in quite complex ways.
Last edited by Bao on Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links