Taijiquan Striking

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Taijiquan Striking

Postby wdhc Taijiquan on Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:43 am

I haven't posted videos in a while due to a new baby, so here is a basic breakdown of the taijiquan strike, and the 5 punches. From my experience, which may differ from yours, it's hidden hand punch, hook, overhead cannon, strike the earth and backfist. I may have missed one or 2 things in making this video, would love to hear feedback and comments.

https://youtu.be/YQC6HMx-XoY
wdhc Taijiquan
Santi

Re: Taijiquan Striking

Postby nicklinjm on Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:48 pm

Sean, interesting video - is this all coming from your traditional Yang style experience?
nicklinjm
Wuji

Postby zrm on Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:28 pm

Uh oh, you've used taiji to hit a heavy bag. Now you've done it.

You are about to find out that there are some people on this site who believe that striking poles or bags or trees or other solid objects has no place in real taiji training. Apparently the only way to learn how to issue proper power is by punching the air or beating the living hell out your training partner (other people don't count as solid objects).

I am not one of these people. Good work.
zrm
Huajing

Postby wdhc Taijiquan on Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:20 pm

Thank you. Not just Yang no. I had experience with Yang, Chen, Sun, Wudang, Longmen, Ki Chuan Do. Mostly Yabg though.

Yea I expect some to not agree with how I train.
wdhc Taijiquan
Santi

Postby Trick on Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:00 am

8-) yep, that’s right HITTING the heavy bag is not TJQ, but that doesn’t mean it’s a bad workout.....But there are ways of working the bag that somewhat dwells into the Taiji’ish....Find the answers in the Taijitu 8-)
Trick

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:57 am

I don't know what people are talking about both my yang and Wu lineages had bag training
You need to get your sound effects in sync with the film
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby charles on Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:25 am

zrm wrote:Uh oh, you've used taiji to hit a heavy bag. Now you've done it.

What about what is shown in the video distinguishes it as taiji hitting a heavy bag versus any other practice hitting a heavy bag?

I have no issue with taiji practitioners hitting heavy bags, doors, cars, buses or other objects.
charles
Wuji

Postby robert on Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:38 am

wayne hansen wrote:I don't know what people are talking about both my yang and Wu lineages had bag training

Chen taiji uses bags and pads and other equipment as appropriate as well.

Pictures of Chen Xiaoxing's/Chen Ziqiang's school.

The experience of training in Chenjiagou has changed in many ways over the years. In the first place it’s impossible to ignore the backdrop of the speed and scale of changes taking place in China. Within this setting, the remarkable pace of development of Chenjiagou shows no sign of slowing down. The simple dusty village that captivated me in the 1990s, seeming to have stood still in time, has been replaced by a modern vision of what the birthplace of an art as famous as Taijiquan “should” look like. With stadiums, a modern exhibition centre, Taijiquan museum and numerous Taiji themed tourist attractions. In the centre of the village the Chenjiagou Taijiquan School has also grown larger over the years. The main training hall that used to be a Spartan concrete floored empty space is now fully equipped with modern training aids including a full sized boxing ring, rows of heavy bags and a raised push hands ring.

http://chentaijiquanworld.blogspot.com/2019/04/chen-xiaoxing-if-you-can-see-it-it-is.html

Chen Xiaoxing has told me that when he was young they could not afford training equipment; they improvised with what they had around. Now they can afford the proper equipment.
The method of practicing this boxing art is nothing more than opening and closing, passive and active. The subtlety of the art is based entirely upon their alternations. Chen Xin
robert
Wuji

Postby Bao on Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:20 am

You are about to find out that there are some people on this site who believe that striking poles or bags or trees or other solid objects has no place in real taiji training.

Some people don’t believe that it’s possible to relax body and mind while hitting something. I guess they just don’t know how to do it. But I won’t blame anyone who say this and that. It’s very hard to re-program the body and mind to not tense up and it requires a lot of practice. Just the thought of hitting something with the fist will make people tense up the jaws, chest and breath.

The thing is that even if you do everything correct to produce jin, as relaxing and use whole body movement from the feet, the soon as you tense up even the slightest, you will lose that jin and replace it with muscular tension. This is why relaxing in Tai Chi must be developed through a long time of practice and controlled with awareness.
Last edited by Bao on Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby wdhc Taijiquan on Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:07 pm

It's also important to remember that relaxation or sung in taijiquan is not wet noodle relaxed. There is a structure in it.

As for the taiji tu comment... yin and yang. Yin is song, relaxed structure small yang. Yang is striking, with song small yin. There is the answer....

As for what's the difference from this and other arts, it's the sung and Peng in the strike, not muscles speed and tension.
wdhc Taijiquan
Santi

Postby zrm on Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:39 pm

Bao wrote:Some people don’t believe that it’s possible to relax body and mind while hitting something. I guess they just don’t know how to do it. But I won’t blame anyone who say this and that. It’s very hard to re-program the body and mind to not tense up and it requires a lot of practice. Just the thought of hitting something with the fist will make people tense up the jaws, chest and breath.

The thing is that even if you do everything correct to produce jin, as relaxing and use whole body movement from the feet, the soon as you tense up even the slightest, you will lose that jin and replace it with muscular tension. This is why relaxing in Tai Chi must be developed through a long time of practice and controlled with awareness.

Agree. I just feel that if you skip training the physically hitting something step altogether you will never learn how to do it in a relaxed manner it in practice. It is a practice that does not come naturally.
zrm
Huajing

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:09 pm

I don’t know too many boxers who are not relaxed
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Trick on Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:18 am

wayne hansen wrote:I don't know what people are talking about both my yang and Wu lineages had bag training
You need to get your sound effects in sync with the film

Was that in Malaysia ? Malaysian martial artists back in the 70s mixed all kind of martial arts practice.
Trick

Postby Trick on Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:42 am

Bao wrote:

You are about to find out that there are some people on this site who believe that striking poles or bags or trees or other solid objects has no place in real taiji training.

Some people don’t believe that it’s possible to relax body and mind while hitting something. I guess they just don’t know how to do it. .
Just go to a decent boxing gym, and you see that’s the criteria to do stingy heavy punching
Trick

Postby Trick on Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:07 am

With an ‘opponent’ is to smoothly blend, Taiji is not clashing forces, or clashing with objects...that’s why it’s so difficult....Punching something is basic, we know from early age without any training...Taiji is as the set up. an “finish off” thing is something else......Yes I understand some TJQ guys desperately want to “keep up” an image with the new MMA.
Now I’ve just skimmed through that article in the Taiji,Xingyiquan, Aikido thread Grahame posted a while ago. The guy(police officer) tells how using is martial training to handle hooligans, does he tells how he punched and kicked them to submission, if I remember right he does not say any such...

It’s nothing wrong to hit the bag, I love it, but it’s not Taiji
Trick

Next

Return to Video Links