Fight Like a Physicist: Long and Short Power—Scott Phillips

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Fight Like a Physicist: Long and Short Power—Scott Phillips

Postby marvin8 on Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:43 am

Scott Park Phillips
Oct 27, 2019

This video is about Tai Chi Push-hands and what to do when people cheat. It is also a sort of follow up to a video I did many years ago about long and short power. When you understand the physics of fighting, you can shave years off of the learning process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ss9UK34hR8
marvin8
Wuji

Re: Fight Like a Physicist: Long and Short Power—Scott Phillips

Postby Bao on Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:37 am

Yeah, I’ve watched this. So many things to disagree with.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:48 pm

Bao wrote:Yeah, I’ve watched this. So many things to disagree with.

Not that he ever makes a coherent and cohesive statement. Largely word salad with him. Hard to tell what I disagree with precisely, even, because he never really says anything.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby C.J.W. on Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:01 am

He appears to have studied under George Xu -- a very legit TCMA teacher and no-nonsense fighter (in his younger days) whom I respect.

What I don't quite understand is how he got from being a student of George Xu to coming up with things like this:

C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby everything on Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:15 am

I once learned some classical guitar from a guy who learned from Andres Segovia. It doesn't mean anything because I have no talent or skill. Maybe I could impress someone who literally knows nothing. I'm sure as hell not going to go on youtube and try to teach something about guitar.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:18 am

oragami_itto wrote:
Bao wrote:Yeah, I’ve watched this. So many things to disagree with.

Not that he ever makes a coherent and cohesive statement. Largely word salad with him. Hard to tell what I disagree with precisely, even, because he never really says anything.

You can just look at what he does and understand that he knows nothing about short and long jin.

C.J.W. wrote:He appears to have studied under George Xu -- a very legit TCMA teacher and no-nonsense fighter (in his younger days) whom I respect.

Good practitioner or even good teacher does not automatically produce good students.
Some students have their own agenda, some are too narcissistic to understand where they are wrong.

everything wrote:I once learned some classical guitar from a guy who learned from Andres Segovia. It doesn't mean anything because I have no talent or skill. Maybe I could impress someone who literally knows nothing. I'm sure as hell not going to go on youtube and try to teach something about guitar.

Exactly.

“Empty barrels make the most noise” - Swedish expression
Last edited by Bao on Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Subitai on Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:13 pm

Wait guys I'm confused by the OP....

Is Marvin8 = Scott Park Phillips? Or did Marvin just copy and paste something from Scott?
=========================================================================================
Anyway in the 1st video...28 seconds in and what he describes as Force on Force? WTF??? REALLY? I'M SORRY HE'S A WING NUT!

I can't even comment on the 2nd video...African? SMH

He's all wrong man ...across the board. His type is exactly the reason for bad perceptions of TMA / Push hands , ect. Let alone he shouldn't be talking like he can fight.
Subitai
Huajing

Postby marvin8 on Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:28 pm

Subitai wrote:Wait guys I'm confused by the OP....

Is Marvin8 = Scott Park Phillips? Or did Marvin just copy and paste something from Scott?
=========================================================================================
Anyway in the 1st video...28 seconds in and what he describes as Force on Force? WTF??? REALLY? I'M SORRY HE'S A WING NUT!

I can't even comment on the 2nd video...African? SMH

He's all wrong man ...across the board. His type is exactly the reason for bad perceptions of TMA / Push hands , ect. Let alone he shouldn't be talking like he can fight.

marvin8 ≠ Scott Park Phillips. I just copied and pasted.

Thanks for the comments.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Trick on Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:14 am

Ha, fight like an physicists is not even half way, he must at least have an degree in psychology to get anywhere with his physics...
Trick

Return to Video Links