Hotton sensei - Ohio 2019

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Hotton sensei - Ohio 2019

Postby origami_itto on Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:07 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg-vHvP8qQY

I like everything he says and does. Is his approach or philosophy common in Shotokan karate? It seems you would be more likely to find it in Okinawan.
Last edited by origami_itto on Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Re: Hotton sensei - Ohio 2019

Postby C.J.W. on Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:17 am

Not bad for a Karate guy. ;)

There are quite a few off-shoots of Shotokan. Shotokai, IMO, is one school that is softer and more similar to what Hotton is doing.

C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:55 am

More internal than most that claim that title
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Overlord on Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:20 am

My favourite karate form. Has all the key moves of Chinese martial arts.
Goju ryu school had paid Hong Yixiang and Hong family a sum of money to decipher the form/kata in the early days.
Overlord

Postby Trick on Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:11 am

There is footage/film from Taiwan, a gathering in a room demonstrating their GongFu forms, the Hong’s are there too demonstrating forms Among the people At the honorary end(table/seating) of the room sits Kanei Uechi the son of Kanbun Uechi the founder of Uechi-ryu style Karate(similar to Goju-ryu).....But Talking Shotokan And Taiwan, Shotokan was getting quite popular and spread on the island, but politics put an end to that http://findingkarate.com/wordpress/spot ... ous-storm/
Trick

Postby C.J.W. on Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:32 am

Overlord wrote:My favourite karate form. Has all the key moves of Chinese martial arts.
Goju ryu school had paid Hong Yixiang and Hong family a sum of money to decipher the form/kata in the early days.

Interesting. But IMO, if the Goju guys really want to go back to their roots, they should go visit Fujian White Crane practitioners. (I believe many have already done so.) 

Morio Higaonna....I understand that he's trained very hard and is considered a key figure in Goju, but I must say his style is not my cup of tea at all.

My favorite Okinawan Karate guy (application-wise) is this teacher, Taira Masaji:

C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby C.J.W. on Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:47 am

Trick wrote:There is footage/film from Taiwan, a gathering in a room demonstrating their GongFu forms, the Hong’s are there too demonstrating forms Among the people At the honorary end(table/seating) of the room sits Kanei Uechi the son of Kanbun Uechi the founder of Uechi-ryu style Karate(similar to Goju-ryu).....But Talking Shotokan And Taiwan, Shotokan was getting quite popular and spread on the island, but politics put an end to that http://findingkarate.com/wordpress/spot ... ous-storm/

Very cool. Didn't know that at all!

As for Asai Tetsuhiko, he married a Taiwanese woman and spread the art on the island with his brother in law, who was already an avid Fujian White Crane boxer prior to learning Karate. Asai also compared notes with him and incorporated elements of FWC into his system, which is quite dynamic compared to other branches. The brother-in-law's dojo in Taipei was pretty close to where I used to live, and I would go and watch people train sometimes.

C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby Trick on Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:59 am

C.J.W. wrote:
Trick wrote:There is footage/film from Taiwan, a gathering in a room demonstrating their GongFu forms, the Hong’s are there too demonstrating forms Among the people At the honorary end(table/seating) of the room sits Kanei Uechi the son of Kanbun Uechi the founder of Uechi-ryu style Karate(similar to Goju-ryu).....But Talking Shotokan And Taiwan, Shotokan was getting quite popular and spread on the island, but politics put an end to that http://findingkarate.com/wordpress/spot ... ous-storm/

Very cool. Didn't know that at all!

As for Asai Tetsuhiko, he married a Taiwanese woman and spread the art on the island with his brother in law, who was already an avid Fujian White Crane boxer prior to learning Karate. Asai also compared notes with him and incorporated elements of FWC into his system, which is quite dynamic compared to other branches. The brother-in-law's dojo in Taipei was pretty close to where I used to live, and I would go and watch people train sometimes.

Kanbun Uechi before moving back to japan/okinawa also had his own wuguan/(dojo)a couple of years in nanjing. uechi ryu and goju ryu in their earliest days had a clear connection with mainland china..... chotoku kyan an legendary shorin ryu master on okinawa did stay some time on taiwan, and suposedly created his version of kata chinto from stuff he picked up on taiwan, which technique wise could with a little imagination superficially have somel xingyi influence, but the timelines doesnt add up(dont think there was any xyq on the island back then).........
Trick

Postby Trick on Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:16 am

when come to think about it. in denmark lives an japanese martial arts teacher who for a while had an school in my swedish hometown too...he teach 'north shaolin kungfu'( as he call it) which is basically the shorinji kempo he learned in his youth in japan. as i understan(but never saw) he also taught gojuryu for awhile since he also had studied that extensively.....he also lived a couple of years on taiwan......maybe it was he that learned from the hong's ,... and as we know, stories grow 8-)
Trick

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:59 pm

I had a friend who was the top non Japanese student of higoana
He opened a karate school and tcm clinic in Tokyo
He had some of the nicest kata I have seen
I think this was in the school from the start
He knew I was in the Hong lineage and never mentioned any connection
It is interesting to note he now lives in New York and now does tai chi,Hsing I ,Ba kua and ba Ji
He thanked me for putting him on that path
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby C.J.W. on Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:15 am

In the book version of The Way of the Warrior, I recall reading about how Higaonna admitted to having his ass handed to him by a Taiwanese boxer, and that he also said something along the lines of his pride as a Karateka prevented him from learning Chinese systems.
Last edited by C.J.W. on Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Return to Video Links