Shanghai Xinyi Liuhe with Li Jun Hua

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Shanghai Xinyi Liuhe with Li Jun Hua

Postby chenyaolong on Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:54 pm

chenyaolong
Wuji
 
Posts: 504
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:42 pm
Location: Shanghai, China

Re: Shanghai Xinyi Liuhe with Li Jun Hua

Postby aamc on Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:28 pm

Oh man... I respect you, I don't know how you kept a straight-face..
Last edited by aamc on Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aamc
Wuji
 
Posts: 546
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:33 pm

Re: Shanghai Xinyi Liuhe with Li Jun Hua

Postby dspyrido on Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:06 pm

I'm so happy that making love to a tree was never part of the curriculum. Just hitting it.

Li moves great for an 80 year old. Student is still working through that awkward stage. Takes years and lots of practise to get past it.
User avatar
dspyrido
Wuji
 
Posts: 2260
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:03 am

Re: Shanghai Xinyi Liuhe with Li Jun Hua

Postby Strange on Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:09 pm

yeah, must take years of training to keep a straight face in front of pole molestation
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
User avatar
Strange
Great Old One
 
Posts: 5135
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 1:33 am

Re: Shanghai Xinyi Liuhe with Li Jun Hua

Postby nicklinjm on Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:00 pm

Obviously the pole work looks weird but at the end of the day it is training the dragon body, which as far as I understand is one of the core requirements of XYLH.

Think people are getting fixated on the 'weird looking' pole drill and missing the gold where Li talks about the internal mechanics underlying Yi and Ha sounds of XYLH - AFAIK this is v rarely discussed on public videos, props to Will for getting him to talk about it on camera :)
nicklinjm
Wuji
 
Posts: 583
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:22 pm
Location: Hong Kong

Re: Shanghai Xinyi Liuhe with Li Jun Hua

Postby dspyrido on Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:45 pm

nicklinjm wrote:Obviously the pole work looks weird but at the end of the day it is training the dragon body, which as far as I understand is one of the core requirements of XYLH.

Think people are getting fixated on the 'weird looking' pole drill and missing the gold where Li talks about the internal mechanics underlying Yi and Ha sounds of XYLH - AFAIK this is v rarely discussed on public videos, props to Will for getting him to talk about it on camera :)


It's nice to see videos of a rare style and to hear the opinions of those who've trained in it but I can't say it's that profound.

The beauty of XYLH is not about the theory but in the practise and the practise all starts with the forms (better term should be training sequences). Knowing how to sound out which is really only done to signal the end of a sequence is not as important as repeating the motion 1000s of times. Sure pursuing the "sound of thunder" might lead to impressive results or could go nowhere but that's a different topic.

Also the pole stuff might have it's use to help people get past that awkward stiff starting point we all have to go through but in the end it's all in the forms.

That said - it's great to see videos on XYLH and other styles. It's also nice that these are provided freely. There are good bits in it but deep down XYLH can't be learnt with theory.
User avatar
dspyrido
Wuji
 
Posts: 2260
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:03 am

Re: Shanghai Xinyi Liuhe with Li Jun Hua

Postby aamc on Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:15 pm

Obviously the pole work looks weird but at the end of the day it is training the dragon body, which as far as I understand is one of the core requirements of XYLH.


I just thought the whole sequence was pretty funny, first Tobias is there fondling the pole, before Li Jun Hua grabs his butt and talks about moving the kua. I couldn't keep a straight-face...
aamc
Wuji
 
Posts: 546
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:33 pm

Re: Shanghai Xinyi Liuhe with Li Jun Hua

Postby Bill on Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:44 pm

Regarding the pole exercise, I learned a variation of it from an instructor under Kenny Gong. It wasn't taught with a pole rather you make the circle in the air in front of your torso, palms facing each other as if your holding an escrima stick between them.
I think it's quite effective at loosening up and connecting the torso.
It hurts when I Pi
User avatar
Bill
Great Old One
 
Posts: 5301
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 7:00 am

Re: Shanghai Xinyi Liuhe with Li Jun Hua

Postby Bhassler on Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:49 pm

dspyrido wrote:
nicklinjm wrote:Obviously the pole work looks weird but at the end of the day it is training the dragon body, which as far as I understand is one of the core requirements of XYLH.

Think people are getting fixated on the 'weird looking' pole drill and missing the gold where Li talks about the internal mechanics underlying Yi and Ha sounds of XYLH - AFAIK this is v rarely discussed on public videos, props to Will for getting him to talk about it on camera :)


It's nice to see videos of a rare style and to hear the opinions of those who've trained in it but I can't say it's that profound.

The beauty of XYLH is not about the theory but in the practise and the practise all starts with the forms (better term should be training sequences). Knowing how to sound out which is really only done to signal the end of a sequence is not as important as repeating the motion 1000s of times. Sure pursuing the "sound of thunder" might lead to impressive results or could go nowhere but that's a different topic.

Also the pole stuff might have it's use to help people get past that awkward stiff starting point we all have to go through but in the end it's all in the forms.

That said - it's great to see videos on XYLH and other styles. It's also nice that these are provided freely. There are good bits in it but deep down XYLH can't be learnt with theory.


It may not be especially profound in a conceptual sense, but if it works reliably, it is profound. You say it's all in the forms, and no doubt it should be, but how many people do we see running around doing empty forms with useless or no shenfa? Simple repetition doesn't get it. Just because you yourself got it through talent or teaching or tenacity doesn't mean other people will. It's common around here to hear the refrain that 1 in 100 people will "get it" in terms of IMA. So if this guy's pole exercises get him to where even 5 in 100 students "get it", then I'd say that makes it pretty fucking profound, by comparison. Hopefully the student in the video sticks with it, gets good, and becomes a Youtube superstar in his own right.

I think this whole kung fu thing is pretty cool, but it's hard to find really good examples of it, so I'm always rooting for the next person who can get the goods that only come through hard work and go public.
Bhassler
Great Old One
 
Posts: 3180
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 8:05 pm
Location: xxxxxxx

Re: Shanghai Xinyi Liuhe with Li Jun Hua

Postby chenyaolong on Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:48 pm

aamc wrote:
Obviously the pole work looks weird but at the end of the day it is training the dragon body, which as far as I understand is one of the core requirements of XYLH.


I just thought the whole sequence was pretty funny, first Tobias is there fondling the pole, before Li Jun Hua grabs his butt and talks about moving the kua. I couldn't keep a straight-face...


It's just a cultural thing. Asian people don't have the same boundaries of personal space we do. It's pretty common for a teacher to just grab your butt and adjust you like that. On a similar note, a lot of people commented it was bad taste when Tang Sheng Jun pushed Jon over the bench in our Hebei Xingyi episode. That's also pretty normal in China... Ive lost count of the times I've been shoved, punched and kicked by people when explaining stuff.

When we were filming, as he started to do the pole thing I was already predicting the comments.... the first time we met he spent about two hours talking about the mechanics in Ji Bu, which is what I wanted him to repeat for the camera, but he spent so long talking about the pole thing, by the time I got to asking him about Ji Bu again he ran out of steam.
chenyaolong
Wuji
 
Posts: 504
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:42 pm
Location: Shanghai, China

Re: Shanghai Xinyi Liuhe with Li Jun Hua

Postby chenyaolong on Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:00 pm

Anyway, just wanna say thanks for the feedback guys!

My purpose with making these videos is to show TCMA as its practiced in China "warts and all" without the hype, mysticism and putting people on pedastals that you see a lot of.
chenyaolong
Wuji
 
Posts: 504
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:42 pm
Location: Shanghai, China

Re: Shanghai Xinyi Liuhe with Li Jun Hua

Postby Bhassler on Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:38 pm

chenyaolong wrote:Anyway, just wanna say thanks for the feedback guys!

My purpose with making these videos is to show TCMA as its practiced in China "warts and all" without the hype, mysticism and putting people on pedastals that you see a lot of.


Thanks for posting these-- really looking forward to the Fujian series. I was going to say I hoped you would continue posting more of your own Mantis practice as well, but lo and behold, looks like you posted one just a couple of days ago. Please do keep up the good work!
Bhassler
Great Old One
 
Posts: 3180
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 8:05 pm
Location: xxxxxxx

Re: Shanghai Xinyi Liuhe with Li Jun Hua

Postby chenyaolong on Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:21 pm

Bhassler wrote:Thanks for posting these-- really looking forward to the Fujian series. I was going to say I hoped you would continue posting more of your own Mantis practice as well, but lo and behold, looks like you posted one just a couple of days ago. Please do keep up the good work!


I'd like to do a whole Mantis series too, but it's difficult with the politics. It was easier to do series on styles that aren't my own. Next time I head up to Yantai I will film some more stuff with my teacher though, and I am planning to film some more stuff myself too.
chenyaolong
Wuji
 
Posts: 504
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:42 pm
Location: Shanghai, China

Re: Shanghai Xinyi Liuhe with Li Jun Hua

Postby C.J.W. on Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:10 am

The dragon coils around tree exercise shown in the video is quite common in many Taiji/Xingyi/Bagua lineages, and usually referred to as "rubbing the ball" (no pun intended) or "fixed-step cloud hand." But it's usually done either empty-handed or with a ball as opposed to a pole. (I've seen people do it with basketballs, medicine balls, even bowling balls.)
C.J.W.
Wuji
 
Posts: 1826
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 5:02 am

Re: Shanghai Xinyi Liuhe with Li Jun Hua

Postby dspyrido on Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:01 pm

Bhassler wrote:It may not be especially profound in a conceptual sense, but if it works reliably, it is profound. You say it's all in the forms, and no doubt it should be, but how many people do we see running around doing empty forms with useless or no shenfa? Simple repetition doesn't get it. Just because you yourself got it through talent or teaching or tenacity doesn't mean other people will. It's common around here to hear the refrain that 1 in 100 people will "get it" in terms of IMA. So if this guy's pole exercises get him to where even 5 in 100 students "get it", then I'd say that makes it pretty fucking profound, by comparison. Hopefully the student in the video sticks with it, gets good, and becomes a Youtube superstar in his own right.

I think this whole kung fu thing is pretty cool, but it's hard to find really good examples of it, so I'm always rooting for the next person who can get the goods that only come through hard work and go public.


You're right. I can't fault the logic that if this helps take the numbers from 1 in 100 to 1 in 20 it is profound.

Unfortunately the only practical flaw is based on what was passed down and what I've seen.

There are many basics & training them alone doesn't get results. There's hundreds of refinements that over the years I've learnt. Some I was instructed on, some I picked up along the way from observing others, some I saw in myself. Many I'm still learning and I'm yet to get.

In the end though after asking countless questions myself on application & theory did I realise the wisdom of my departed sifu words .... "practise more".

That said I hope these help others find a path more efficiently but even in sports combat it is recognised that you can't breed a race horse from a donkey. Perhaps getting "it" in these arts is 1 in 100 and it's hardwired. I hope not.
User avatar
dspyrido
Wuji
 
Posts: 2260
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:03 am

Next

Return to Video Links

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests