Tim Cartmell: CMAs, BJJ, Self-Defense and teaching

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Tim Cartmell: CMAs, BJJ, Self-Defense and teaching

Postby everything on Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:43 pm

He always speaks with down-to-earth, common sense, and logical appeal. I like it. Couldn't watch entire podcast, but maybe later...

Wonder what his daily training is like as he gets toward 60ish (?).
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby nicklinjm on Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:55 pm

Didn't manage to listen to the whole thing, but love his balanced, common sense approach to martial arts in general, his students are v lucky to have him as a teacher!
nicklinjm
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:55 pm

I like Tim - always good stuff.

There's something he says at the start like it's obvious "martial arts were created for fighting". I think that needs a closer look, as there is a more subtle view...

This was just posted on Kung Fu Tea:

https://chinesemartialstudies.com/2020/ ... X4AMfWagng

“If it is necessary to debunk the Bodhidharma myth since it is historically false, we must also be wary of the modern materialist impulse to tear aside the veil of myth to uncover the real martial arts beneath. The truth is that for most Chinese practitioners of the arts the myths were real enough, and spiritual goals, in any case, are more central to the historical martial arts than actual combat skills. Rather than viewing myths and legends as effluvia from the “real martial arts,” it is more accurate to see the martial arts as a relatively minor by-product of the Buddho-Taoist popular religion and the medieval immortality cult.”

Charles Holcombe, 1990, “Theatre of Combat: A Critical Look at Chinese Martial Arts.”
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Giles on Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:24 am

Good interview. Nothing I would disagree with there, some nice insights, and all expressed very clearly and succinctly. And entertainingly.
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:27 pm

Tom,

"Tim would candidly acknowledge the accretion of mythology, symbolism, dance and philosophy that overlay "traditional" Asian martial arts"

Aye, there's the rub. Overlay. As if the martial is the true origin, and the rest is overlayed on top? That's a subtle difference to what I believe Holcombe was referring to.

In the years following the Boxer Rebellion (essntially modern times) I think that yes, the Chinese martial arts became separted from their larger social complex and it was forgotten.

I think that's the key phrase from Ben's article, for me, "Chinese martial arts exist as one part of a larger social complex", but maybe it should be changed to "existed".

I see you've started another thread on it so we should probably move the discussion over there.
Last edited by GrahamB on Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:37 pm, edited 5 times in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Return to Video Links