INTERNAL Friction stepping - Scott meredith

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: INTERNAL Friction stepping - Scott meredith

Postby Taste of Death on Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:56 pm

Trick wrote:I didn’t know who this meredith was so I looked on the net, he claim to study YiQuan, in the thread it say’s he is supposed to have mentioned Wang Xiangzhai’s teachings, and the headline of the thread is friction step, although some poster goes into mud step which is another thing.....I comment on mocabu which usually in YiQuan comes into practice after learned ZZ and shili, then one will know the friction step is not solely in the sole of the foot, the understanding of it comes quickly...
If one try by experimenting to figure out how to mocabu without proper ZZ and shili basics in the back one will fail....And this is what I think meredith is doing, taking stuff from his ZMQ Taiji to come up with an home brewed mocabu exercise...

The whole body is involved in every aspect of yiquan. The mocabu (friction stepping) is not just about the sole of the foot although that is an important aspect. The foot that is moving should be lightly scraping the ground. Try training on gravel. The small rocks should roll under the foot as it "steps". On grass, the sole of the foot should stroke each blade of grass. I have discussed this with students of Yao's lineage (I don't know if they trained directly with the Yaos) and they disagree and claim the moving foot should not touch the ground. It is true that the foot hovers but it always should remain in contact with the ground. In Han Shi Yi Quan we move by lifting the knees and sitting. Rather than pushing off the back foot, we lead with the knee of the front leg, sliding the back foot out rather than lifting it when we move. What type of surface one trains on and what type of shoe one wears are factors in how well the body responds to mocabu. Tennis hard courts and brick are the most difficult surfaces to train on. But they make one better at mocabu because there is little room for error. Like most people who wear Feiyue kung fu shoes (as I do mostly) they will wear out quickly doing mocabu on tennis courts and brick. Also concrete with little pebbles embedded in it are rough on the shoe soles. If one only practices on dirt and grass and then gets in a fight on the street, one's feet might get stuck. One of the benefits of mocabu is that by sliding the foot one can step further than if one "stepped" the traditional way.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links