Senki - Episode 03 - Simon Lockett & Marc Mastrandrea

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Senki - Episode 03 - Simon Lockett & Marc Mastrandrea

Postby phil b on Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:39 pm

There are plenty of skilled teachers in the West. The idea that to learn real gung fu, one needs to go to Asia is a fantasy. If anything, it can be detrimental, as there are still teachers who see foreigners as ignorant walking piggy banks, and will seek to bleed you dry while filling your head with BS. In Taiwan, I've seen teachers who have skill, but clearly are not sharing it with their students, teachers who have skill and share it, but don't have a clue about fighting, and teachers who just talk nonsense. Just because they have been introduced to the wider public by someone considered 'in the know' doesn't mean much. One teacher, well praised, and the subject of books, seminars etc. wanted a ridiculous amount of money for private lessons. I opted for a group class, and after a few hours of qigong and generic stretching etc. got to see him teach applications; I never went back.
If your goal is to make a living teaching, it is certainly a good marketing tool to say my teacher is blah blah, rather than my teacher is from Essex, Ohio, or some other less exotic location.
To each his own.

Quick afterthought. Yes, plenty of western teachers fit the above description, so buyer beware.
Just your average office worker :p
phil b
Anjing

Postby phil b on Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:45 pm

As for the video...

If these guys have found what they are looking for, have committed themselves, and their teacher has been honest with them, great.

Wushutiger, keep up the good work. The Xing Yi Quan Pimer series is good. No fluff, no nonsense, and no inane mystical babble.
Just your average office worker :p
phil b
Anjing

Postby Subitai on Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:32 pm

phil b wrote:There are plenty of skilled teachers in the West. The idea that to learn real gung fu, one needs to go to Asia is a fantasy. If anything, it can be detrimental, as there are still teachers who see foreigners as ignorant walking piggy banks, and will seek to bleed you dry while filling your head with BS. In Taiwan, I've seen teachers who have skill, but clearly are not sharing it with their students, teachers who have skill and share it, but don't have a clue about fighting, and teachers who just talk nonsense. Just because they have been introduced to the wider public by someone considered 'in the know' doesn't mean much. One teacher, well praised, and the subject of books, seminars etc. wanted a ridiculous amount of money for private lessons. I opted for a group class, and after a few hours of qigong and generic stretching etc. got to see him teach applications; I never went back.
If your goal is to make a living teaching, it is certainly a good marketing tool to say my teacher is blah blah, rather than my teacher is from Essex, Ohio, or some other less exotic location.
To each his own.

Quick afterthought. Yes, plenty of western teachers fit the above description, so buyer beware.

I'm not trying to "Poke the Bear" but.... (in the 1st paragraph above) = what phil b just said! Pretty much what I was alluding to. Only he didn't allude...he spelled it out clearly. I seen it myself, plus had friends deal with same issues.
Subitai
Huajing

Postby GrahamB on Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:25 am

ey subitai,

I think the last paragraph Phil wrote was the key one - that situation can exist equallyin the east and west.

Btw just clicked on your blog and noticed we both do Ku style tai chi. My teacher also thought it was Sun style once too, due to bad English/Chinese communication.

I looked at your video and it’s the same long form. We do it a bit different to you as the sister arts it travelled to the uk with in our line were Choy Lee fut and N.shaolin and I think everything ultimately influences each other whether you want it to or not.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Giles on Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:06 am

phil b wrote:There are plenty of skilled teachers in the West. The idea that to learn real gung fu, one needs to go to Asia is a fantasy. If anything, it can be detrimental, as there are still teachers who see foreigners as ignorant walking piggy banks, and will seek to bleed you dry while filling your head with BS. In Taiwan, I've seen teachers who have skill, but clearly are not sharing it with their students, teachers who have skill and share it, but don't have a clue about fighting, and teachers who just talk nonsense. Just because they have been introduced to the wider public by someone considered 'in the know' doesn't mean much. One teacher, well praised, and the subject of books, seminars etc. wanted a ridiculous amount of money for private lessons. I opted for a group class, and after a few hours of qigong and generic stretching etc. got to see him teach applications; I never went back.
To each his own.

Yes, good post.
IMHO, the bottom line when it comes to looking for/finding a teacher, or teachers is:
What can he do? Is he willing and able to teach it? And - if you will be entering into a longer-term relationship with the teacher - do I feel comfortable at the personal level? Because during close teaching other aspects of 'energy' will tend to transfer as well, even if unconsciously.
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby Subitai on Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:39 pm

GrahamB wrote:ey subitai,

I think the last paragraph Phil wrote was the key one - that situation can exist equallyin the east and west.

Btw just clicked on your blog and noticed we both do Ku style tai chi. My teacher also thought it was Sun style once too, due to bad English/Chinese communication.

I looked at your video and it’s the same long form. We do it a bit different to you as the sister arts it travelled to the uk with in our line were Choy Lee fut and N.shaolin and I think everything ultimately influences each other whether you want it to or not.

Ya GrahamB...I just a quick search about a topic from a few years ago..."Fist under Elbow"...:)

You said,
Re: Fist under elbow
Postby GrahamB on Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:39 am

" Hi, I think I've mentioned before, but we do the same variant of Yang style, which you call "Gu". Just had a look at your variant and I recognise it, although (as always) we do ours slightly differently."

About that Ku (Gu Set)... the one I do in front of my garage is just for my YMCA students. It' simplified a bit ( a few moves dumbed-down)

* I actually look different if I'd post how I do my Ku (Yang) variant as I do for myself. I haven't put up a YT vid for a while...mabe I'll do that.

But Yeah, I guess that makes us relatives. :) I got a relative that has a House in "Hackney borough" of London... You live anywhere near that?

Next time I go there, I crash your place and we attack all the drunk Ninjas! .... haha kidding .
Last edited by Subitai on Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Subitai
Huajing

Postby GrahamB on Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:23 am

Heh - we’ve been here before I see!

London is the south east. I’m in the south west, but ku style arrived in the uk in London so that figures he’d be there.

Would be cool to see your version of the form - first section would be enough. I’ll try and record my version, but we’re having storm Dennis in the uk right now so depends on the weather.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Video Links