Do the tiny details really matter?

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Do the tiny details really matter?

Postby GrahamB on Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:55 am

Sometimes it seems if feels like all people talk about when it comes to IMA is tiny details. So many classics, so many rules, so many lists of what has to be where, what has to coordimate with what, where the head should be, where the elbows should be, etc...

Ryan Hall has some interesting thoughts on priorites in training. He's talking MMA/BJJ, but I think it applies to all martial art:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XzAsx-aRC4

I can see good points either way, just thought I'd open that for discussion.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Re: Do the tiny details really matter?

Postby GrahamB on Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:58 am

I like this quote:

"The ability to pass successfully against a cobrina or rafa mendes, verses against a regular run of the mill black belt, does come down to little details, but it's pre supposing that you're even in a decent enough position to even allow these details to become relevant, and I think a lot of the time we put the cart before the horse and that's problematic."
Last edited by GrahamB on Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby phil b on Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:08 am

Good video!

One of the things I enjoyed most in Muay Thai and Muay Boran was the doing. No long lectures, just train. As you improved, they added detail. I know kung fu teachers who approach it the same way, and it is far more effective than long discussions on activating this or that. They can teach it, but to paraphrase what Paul Whitrod Sifu said to me, it isn't useful in the beginning, so why waste time on it.

There is a parallel with language teaching. In Asia, form over function is still common. Students ask why they can't have a conversation in English after years of study and tests. Simple answer is that they rarely use English for conversation, even in the classroom. They can name the parts of speech, quote rules galore, but excessive attention to detail comes with a price.
Just your average office worker :p
phil b
Anjing

Postby wayne hansen on Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:56 pm

Attention to detail coupled with a solid training regime
Repetition is the looking glass to see precise detail through
To be a fighter it may not matter
Strength aggression and a strong body are often enough
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Formosa Neijia on Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:22 pm

No, they don't matter at all which is why most teachers focus on them so much. Like Hall says in the video," the people trying to bullshit you are the ones focusing on all the details." That describes IMA to a T. It's form over function.

My last teacher was good about this. He told me it didn't matter if my technique was a little to the left or right, or a little high or low because the enemy would never be in one place. He even told me to switch out the techniques in the same form.

It's either useful for fighting or recovery or it isn't useful at all.
Last edited by Formosa Neijia on Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formosa Neijia
Great Old One

Postby cgtomash on Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:34 pm

"Do the tiny details really matter?"

Hell Yeah!
cgtomash
Great Old One

Postby everything on Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:57 pm

agree with the 100% yes and 100% no answers. LOL. it depends. in tighter space with smaller margins or in great sport match ups, tiny details matter much more (not just in combat sports).
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:12 pm

The clip mentioned eye gouges

. I felt squishy material on my finger, and realized my finger was buried in his eye socket (where the infratrochlear nerve is) and based on the sound, and his reaction, I thought his eye popped out.

Also, what you couldn’t see in the video is that he was on the ground for an hour, unable to get up. They finally decided to take him to a hospital.

https://popularmilitary.com/us-spec-ops ... ne-finger/

Regarding some of the comments on what teachers teach and why..

teachers tend teach what students want,,,to pay the rent if they'er public

its a business

.Mostly interested in health.

https://rumsoakedfist.org/viewtopic.php ... 93&start=0

Interesting thread
normally when people ask me about health I usually recommend them to other people
focused on this aspect....
Last edited by windwalker on Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby jaime_g on Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:17 pm

Danaher is the most succesful coach in bjj right now and he is quite famous for focusing on details.
jaime_g
Wuji

Postby Subitai on Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:30 pm

I didn't watch the video but if i take the title of thread at face value I would say,

" It depends on the context of the move" and also IMO, usually but not always:

Strength dominant methods, applications or concepts...can probably get away with less "TINY" details if STRENGTH can overcome those minor (Tiny) details.

Example, if i'm strong enough to pick a guy up off his feet...the Tiny details don't really matter when I suplex him back on his head.

* some people might argue that one important detail would be do you have his arms wrapped when you pick him up (just one) or are both free to help? It doesn't really help that much...if you're hella strong...you can slam someone into furniture or a door jam or down some stairs...arm free or NO arms free. He's toast.

As for the context of details...what if I were to say that there is obviously a huge difference between standing arm locks (vs elbow) for example...as opposed to those on the ground where you are also applying body positioning and use of legs to help.

IMO, for sure the little tiny details of how to do standing locks and also ground...make a huge difference.

Of course there are many other examples... in setting up striking... Tiny details are huge. One small adjustment can make a knock out possible.

I could teach hours on this subject in seminar and IMO, nobody would say it was a waste of time.
Subitai
Huajing

Return to Video Links