GM Huang Sheng Shyan’s Secret Training (Japanese Sandal)

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

GM Huang Sheng Shyan’s Secret Training (Japanese Sandal)

Postby marvin8 on Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:45 pm

THE MARTIAL MAN
Apr 6, 2020

Hello kung-fu family! Unfortunately, I'm not able to travel and film until the COVID-19 situation improves. In the meantime, here is a video taken from the member's area of my website. ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_AdYMUl0ew
marvin8
Wuji

Re: GM Huang Sheng Shyan’s Secret Training (Japanese Sandal)

Postby Formosa Neijia on Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:31 pm

He didn't really provide an explanation of the rooting that the tabi socks and sandals train so here are some clips to point to how that works. the secret is not twisting. You're pulling with the big toe of the front foot.

Thw one below shows a bit more detail although without the sandals

This one below gives an overview of the system,it's called nanba. But skip to the 12:00 mark to skip his long-winded theory section.

This ties in a lot with the dantian-driven movement of southern kungfu systems like the wuzuquan that don't swing the hips to drive their techniques.

This technique was used in my favorite samurai films, Lone Wolf and Cub, when the main character was able to run right up and cut his opponent down because without swinging his body, the opponent couldn't see that he had moved at all.
Time to put the QUAN back in taijiQUAN. Time to put the YANG back in YANG style taiji.
Formosa Neijia
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:06 am

In Karate it used to be a thing to practice wearing Geta, iron ones for kicking practice. Geta are usually in the design with two “stilts” on each. While there are also such with just one stilt on each “sandal” might prove to be more an balancing act then ?
Trick

Postby Trick on Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:12 am

As for tabis, you can in Japan see even construction workers wear such, they come with protective steel caps nowadays too.......Years ago a friend bought some Hi Fi stuff from Japan, with the shipment he got as an complimentary gift a couple of “fingered” socks, quite funny we thought back then...
Trick

Postby wayne hansen on Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:28 pm

On way of the warrior the hung gar guy trains in iron ones
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby P. Li on Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:58 pm

P. Li
Mingjing

Postby C.J.W. on Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:43 pm

He talks about not leaning, but ends up leaning himself when showing that fajin at the end. Hmm....
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby Bao on Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:56 pm

C.J.W. wrote:He talks about not leaning, but ends up leaning himself when showing that fajin at the end. Hmm....

Exactly. Its’s all too obvious. :-\

Seems like something one or maybe two other of Martial Man’s friends have in common. Look at Sergio for instance, speaking about sinking qi and leans his whole body forward. Maybe it has something to do with the Huang tradition? That seems to be something several have in common. They seem to stand in parallel stance when they play tuishou.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:49 am

I know the quality of huangs students in the 70's was amongst the best
The question I ask are those carrying his flag today the best example of his lineage
I know some who are making big bucks out of his art and are less skilled than the average student in the past
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby .Q. on Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:59 pm

I haven't tried this myself (don't have those sandals) so I can't say for sure, but if the guy in original video is using wrong mechanic I suspect he wouldn't be able to push the guy away even with a lean. People shouldn't take things to be literal all the time. Often when people say "Yes" or "No" to something they mean more or less, not binary like a robot. If I have a chance I'd like to try this out to verify.
This guy seems to have an even better test and has a lot less lean, but at the same time you can't walk around w/ a Bosu ball.
[youtube]https://youtu.be/YTgOzNWPmiY?t=68[/youtube]
.Q.
Wuji

Postby Formosa Neijia on Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:39 pm

Leaning into it a bit is part of the method. The nanba videos I posted above show that. If the front toe is key (tabi shoes and geta train this) instead of pushing off with the back foot then some forward lean will be present.
Time to put the QUAN back in taijiQUAN. Time to put the YANG back in YANG style taiji.
Formosa Neijia
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:21 pm

Formosa Neijia wrote:This one below gives an overview of the system,it's called nanba. But skip to the 12:00 mark to skip his long-winded theory section.

This ties in a lot with the dantian-driven movement of southern kungfu systems like the wuzuquan that don't swing the hips to drive their techniques.

This technique was used in my favorite samurai films, Lone Wolf and Cub, when the main character was able to run right up and cut his opponent down because without swinging his body, the opponent couldn't see that he had moved at all.

I'm naturally suspicious of anybody who wants to look like, behave like or research ninjas ;D It's usually a sign of stark raving nonsense.

But, I'd not seen this "nanba walk" before (probably because I avoided Aikido), but it looks, essentially like what you do in, say, Pi Chuan from Xing Yi - your same side foot lands with the same side palm strike. Landing with the foot flat on the floor, instead of heel first, is also what I was taught in XingYi. For the same reason explained in that Texas video - there's less grip on the heel and you slip on wet grass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vke1N0k9xs

I don't align with the idea of making this the way you move all the time though - It's used for a specific purpose though (spear - sword, etc) . -it seems to be going against the way your body is designed to walk normally.
Last edited by GrahamB on Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:38 am

Not the way I move in Hsing I
Alright for a system that uses Kime but not an art that uses whole body power
As for slipping on wet grass I have never found it a problem
I agree that anyone who wears a Gi to give a talk is a little off
His pull down is a trick of misdirection and proves little
Just like the Korean guy pointed out about Adam mizner
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:44 am

You live in Australia, Wayne. You don't know what wet grass is.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Finny on Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:53 pm

*about to object, then remembers time in UK*
Finny
Great Old One

Next

Return to Video Links