GM Huang Sheng Shyan’s Secret Training (Japanese Sandal)

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: GM Huang Sheng Shyan’s Secret Training (Japanese Sandal)

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:51 pm

Too many ninja.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby Giles on Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:04 am

Bao wrote:
C.J.W. wrote:He talks about not leaning, but ends up leaning himself when showing that fajin at the end. Hmm....

Exactly. Its’s all too obvious. :-\

Seems like something one or maybe two other of Martial Man’s friends have in common. Look at Sergio for instance, speaking about sinking qi and leans his whole body forward. Maybe it has something to do with the Huang tradition? That seems to be something several have in common. They seem to stand in parallel stance when they play tuishou.

I'd agree with Q there that the guy demonstrating is doing it fairly well, even if not 100% 'clean'. He is leaning a bit, but what he's doing is more good than not good. This is an exercise I do with my students sometimes, working from a parallel stance, and if you don't really send your weight ('energy', if you like) straight down through the feet then very quickly you find yourself bouncing off backwards or falling over forwards when trying to move your partner any significant distance. As a further element, it's good if the receiving partner is allowed to suddenly pull back when (if) he feels the push coming. That's another good test for the pusher: do you then wobble or fall if your partner suddenly 'disappears' at the crucial moment? Or do your arms just return to you in a relaxed way while your core remains stable?

Yes, in the Huang tradition there's more working in the parallel stance in varous tuishou exercises. I'm not really in this tradition but I've adopted this sometimes in training because I can see many benefits in it. Also when receiving energy, it helps you to avoid any kind of bracing or 'digging in', and also collapsing, because then in either case you're out immdiately. Then you can take the experience back into the bow stance, where otherwise it can be easier to get away with bracing if your partner is smaller than you and/or less skilled. In other words: stand in and use the bow stance but imagine you're standing parallel.
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:21 pm

As long as you are both in goat riding stance
If one is in bow stance the one in goat riding has a definite advantage
It is pretty much like sitting easy to do
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby iota-draconis on Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:43 am

As i became older, I took s shine to tai chi and have been practising chen style tai chi with Chen Hoi (22nd generation chen tai chi and 7th generation yang master in canning town london) for around 5 years since 2018). I did wing chun with Steven Girard of Dragon Hall, London (a wong shun leung student in honk kong) before that and Kyokushin karate (as a teenager).

I am deeply incredulous about all of the claims about throwing people across rooms and taking people down by just a mere touch. I feel that such claims, ridicule and turn martial arts into some kind of a joke. I have seen many videos of Huang Sheng-Shyan and many others. The are quite difficult to explain. The 1st and 2nd law of Physics are pretty straight forward.

1. An object at rest remains at rest, or if in motion, remains in motion at a constant velocity unless acted on by a net external force.
2. F = ma, or net force is equal to mass times acceleration. A larger net force acting on an object causes a larger acceleration, and objects with larger mass require more force to accelerate.

I applies to the universe so why is it any different to what martial artists do ?

I am very sceptical about claims made by sergio or any students (his or other) and feel it is a ploy to get people in and ultimately cash in. I believe that there is no criticism between different styles and schools is based on maintaining the staus quo so that cash flows are not impacted.

The other issue is online dvd. I do not believe that a program such as tai chi or wing chun or any martial art can be completed online. It is impossible to grasp techniques and inner subtleties of movements on a dvd. Equally with tai chi. I practice my forms and frames daily as well as attending classes weekly. I do not consider myself a shifu or master. However, there are so many out there that push out videos on social media and proclaim the shifu status. It is a mockery that anybody can create a website, do a couple of moves and here you go, shifu!

why is he system not regulated ?
iota-draconis
Santi

Postby Trick on Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:31 am

iota-draconis wrote:As i became older, I took s shine to tai chi and have been practising chen style tai chi with Chen Hoi (22nd generation chen tai chi and 7th generation yang master in canning town london) for around 5 years since 2018). I did wing chun with Steven Girard of Dragon Hall, London (a wong shun leung student in honk kong) before that and Kyokushin karate (as a teenager).

I am deeply incredulous about all of the claims about throwing people across rooms and taking people down by just a mere touch. I feel that such claims, ridicule and turn martial arts into some kind of a joke. I have seen many videos of Huang Sheng-Shyan and many others. The are quite difficult to explain. The 1st and 2nd law of Physics are pretty straight forward.

1. An object at rest remains at rest, or if in motion, remains in motion at a constant velocity unless acted on by a net external force.
2. F = ma, or net force is equal to mass times acceleration. A larger net force acting on an object causes a larger acceleration, and objects with larger mass require more force to accelerate.

I applies to the universe so why is it any different to what martial artists do ?

I am very sceptical about claims made by sergio or any students (his or other) and feel it is a ploy to get people in and ultimately cash in. I believe that there is no criticism between different styles and schools is based on maintaining the staus quo so that cash flows are not impacted.

The other issue is online dvd. I do not believe that a program such as tai chi or wing chun or any martial art can be completed online. It is impossible to grasp techniques and inner subtleties of movements on a dvd. Equally with tai chi. I practice my forms and frames daily as well as attending classes weekly. I do not consider myself a shifu or master. However, there are so many out there that push out videos on social media and proclaim the shifu status. It is a mockery that anybody can create a website, do a couple of moves and here you go, shifu!

kyukushin and wing-tsun, two rather fight oriented MA's, from this of course we know that two combatants are not mere objects, there is the mind to it for sure, the mind plays a great deal in the game.

as long as we ourselves do as best we can, i doesnt matter who call themselves shifu and have videos up online.
Trick
Huajing

Postby Appledog on Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:40 pm

iota-draconis wrote:As i became older, I took s shine to tai chi and have been practising chen style tai chi with Chen Hoi (22nd generation chen tai chi and 7th generation yang master in canning town london) for around 5 years since 2018). I did wing chun with Steven Girard of Dragon Hall, London (a wong shun leung student in honk kong) before that and Kyokushin karate (as a teenager).

Yes, you're right, more or less, it is incredulous and it turns martial arts into a joke.

Well, for one, the human body is not a discrete "body" like is shown in physics. It's comprised of many things, such as a triple burner, a lung channel, a dantian, two legs, one arm, a triangular hat, a madara mask, and so forth.

So, when two human bodies come into touch, the interplay is not merely between the bodies, or even at the point of touch. There are complex interactions within the body.

When the qi moves over you like the wind, the various parts of your body -- individually -- align, within the field that is the human body itself -- to the qi -- Like a compass. This is just our natural reaction. Although some do not like to admit it. And, our modern minds are far from a natural reaction.

But imagine for a moment that the entire body's qi has become aligned, and that each individual part -- such as the dantian -- has rotated, like a compass needle for example -- to the maximum that it can.

Well in such a situation the entire body would be lifted up and tossed out! Also, if the root is broken in this situation, or compressed against the ground, the player will sometimes try to straighten it by bouncing himself out. In any case it looks like an unnatural movement, but it is real. It is just movement of a type that does not make sense to the average person looking in.

Yes, a lot of people use the nature of this game to lie and cheat. It is, however, easy to recognize them, because they focus on the appelation of the skill and not the underlying methods used to achieve the skill, which are just the same in almost any martial art: Basics!

II. You are wrong, you CAN achieve mastery with video instruction. As long as the video instruction is designed to work in certain ways, and you are given the right guidance, I don't see how it can't work. The only thing you will miss is partner instruction.

The real problems with video instruction are that people don't follow the instruction, whether or not it is on video, or in real life. In my opinion of course. I've put out some videos on youtube and I cannot imagine why people could not learn from them. The issue is mainly with the viewer in this regard. The problem in such cases, always the same, the so-called student.

Finally, take heart. The system is regulated. The problem is that a young student might not know what to look for. In a society where more fighting is allowed, I suppose it is harder to fool and cheat people. But you still can. Today, in our society, you have to put yourself into an art for a while until you understand something about it -- say, 2 or 3 years. Then, if you have made any success, you will know enough to find a better teacher. This is just how it works now, you have to show initiative and do your best with what you have until you find your teacher. So the thing with regulation nowadays is that you have to know where the ball is, if you want to run over and kick it. There has traditionally always been an active edge, a group of people in martial society, that organize themselves around progressive change in the martial arts. This is the group of people you want to "hang out" with in any era. The ones that do -- whether or not they are the best -- is immaterial. You want to go to the group that has the most social interaction and competition. Why go to a computer store if you are looking for a puppy or kitten? Then, you go to the pet store. So many people, they go to a clothing store when they are trying to buy shoes. You have to figure this game out, it's the punishment we have to endure because of our karma of being born in the modern age.
Last edited by Appledog on Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Appledog
Wuji

Previous

Return to Video Links