Rickson knife defence

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Rickson knife defence

Postby Taste of Death on Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:49 am

Trick wrote:Anyway, for the streets, how about always wear a sturdy leather belt with a massive belt buckle, could that be of use if there’s a ripper on the loose ? (Be sure to wear pants that anyway stay up without the obi)

I took a devised theater class at Berkeley Repertory Theater earlier this year. It was led by members of Elevator Repair Service who were there performing Gatz, a six hour play about a man in an office who picks a copy of The Great Gatsby, starts reading aloud and doesn't stop until the he finishes the book. The play we thought we were watching transformed into something else. For an adaptation of a chapter from a Faulkner novel (just a chapter because the world does not need any more fifteen hour plays) they binge-watched videos from the South to immerse themselves in Southern culture. This belt buckle knife feller was one of their finds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr5MMlp7mGE
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby Dmitri on Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:44 pm

Ian C. Kuzushi wrote: :o I thought everyone knew who Keenan is.

Don't watch competitions or follow "who's who" much... Just try to make it to the mat a few times a week. ;)

Ian C. Kuzushi wrote:Re: "that particular angle," do you mean the one Rickson is defending against?

Yes

dspyrido wrote:When in close go to the outside and control the elbow and wrist. Cover the palm to stop them swapping.

Which is what (in part) the OP move does.

dspyrido wrote:This all assumes the knife guy is even seen before they stab away...

Yep

P. S. Just noticed the video I thought I included in the previous reply was missing -- just added it.
Last edited by Dmitri on Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby dspyrido on Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:16 pm

Dmitri wrote:P. S. Just noticed the video I thought I included in the previous reply was missing -- just added it.

Makes more sense but...

Not the best way to view knife defence. I'm referring to the block and catch he does. It's a similar move shown by many styles but it's a low percentage move.

The problem is inexperienced people will flinch and pull back before he gets to underhook the attacking hand. A reaction that will slice the blocking forearm. May even stab the fist or somewhere worse. Not good for those domestic disturbance situations.

Trained attackers wont even bother doing this. Against them the defender should put their head between their legs and kiss their arse good bye.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:29 pm

Dmitri wrote:
P. S. Just noticed the video I thought I included in the previous reply was missing -- just added it.

Well, that is a slightly different technique to what Rickson is showing. Similar, but different. The Israeli one could be improved by the addition of the leg. You'll notice he has problems putting the guy on the ground and goes for a WWE type throw. Just use your leg John Wang style!:

But I think dyspero is right - maybe you're lucky.....but most likely you're turned into a pin cusion against some guy aggressively stabbing you.

I think the European weapon vs weapon application (if you drop yours by accident) is probably most likely, or if you can still do it with yours in your hand.
Last edited by GrahamB on Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:35 pm, edited 5 times in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:31 pm

GrahamB wrote:
Dmitri wrote:

Well, that is a slightly different technique to what Rickson is showing. Similar, but different. The Israeli one could be improved by the addition of the leg. You'll notice he has problems putting the guy on the ground and goes for a WWE type throw. Just use your leg John Wang style!:

But I think dyspero is right - maybe you're lucky.....but most likely you're turned into a pin cusion against some guy aggressively stabbing you.

I think the European weapon vs weapon application (if you drop yours by accident) is probably most likely, or if you can still do it with yours in your hand.

So, the technique in the illustrations is one of the two standards in our jujitsu to deal with this sort of attack. But, whether you use this or the other waza depends entirely on timing. If you see it coming (get lucky), you use this one, but you must get in fast and deep. If you are not able to be in even deeper than the illustrations (and, lord, you don't want to be where Rickson is!), you move back and let the stab miss and use your outside hand to connect to the outside of their hand or wrist and do a completely different lock. In principle, it's not all that different than dealing with a baseball bat. You want to be inside or outside the arch of the swing, not standing in the(ir) sweet spot.

And, of course, the first thing we were ever taught in a knife situation is to run like hell. If you can't run away, find a tool. If you can't find a tool, prepare to get bloody. But you might as well know some moves if it comes to that. ;)
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Video Links