survey of taiji usage and teaching

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: survey of taiji usage and teaching

Postby mixjourneyman on Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:20 pm

I thought a couple sections were good. Liang Shouyu clearly did some good push hands/wrestling oriented stuff. The guys in the tracksuits also had some fantastic Shuai, but the others were not so convincing. :)
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby JAB on Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:32 pm

Nice way of putting it Tom! I agree 100%! I would like to meet him and play! Seems like a nice cat.
Jake
JAB

Postby Formosa Neijia on Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:16 pm

The guy that put that clip up is confused IMO. Having applications doesn't equal "combat effectiveness." There's just a teeny, tiny bit more to it than that.

Dave C.
Time to put the QUAN back in taijiQUAN. Time to put the YANG back in YANG style taiji.
Formosa Neijia
Great Old One

Postby JAB on Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:00 pm

Good point Dave.
JAB

Postby Bao on Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:36 am

"Having applications doesn't equal 'combat effectiveness.'"

Well, that is sure. But I wouldn't even say that applications is something you "have". It is something you study. What you study is knowledge about the body, leverage and angle. What you bring with to a fight is more this knowledge than the actual techniques. What you do, from which angle, using what kind of leverage depends on the circumstances and your enemy. What technique is not important. Sometimes it will look like whta you studied, sometimes this knowledge will make you discover completely new ways to act and handle a situation.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Return to Video Links