Close the front door

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Close the front door

Postby GrahamB on Mon May 18, 2020 1:35 pm

For John Wang, a discussion on practical aspects of martial arts!

What do you think of this approach to fighting? Close the front door:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecjNQeSNNiQ

One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Re: Close the front door

Postby Bob on Mon May 18, 2020 7:08 pm

You are right, Ian , my bad.
Completely off track
Last edited by Bob on Tue May 19, 2020 2:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Mon May 18, 2020 7:21 pm

Bob wrote:From the first day I started praying mantis we were always told to turn the front toe in about 30 degrees to help prevent a direct kick to the groin. in all of our moving kicking drills you were required to "open" the door before kicking - however, we were also shown how to do a low side kick that permitted you to get around the "closed" door. In the praying mantis I learned, speed and timing were everything so to avoid receiving the kick around your "closed door" you had to anticipate the incoming kick and kick it as a block - always practiced a lot of low kicks with speed but that is only my experience and I am not sure what the question you pose is searching for.

In my opinion, in the clip above, it seems that it is closed far too much.

Best to watch the video first.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Mon May 18, 2020 9:56 pm

GrahamB wrote:For John Wang, a discussion on practical aspects of martial arts!

What do you think of this approach to fighting? Close the front door:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecjNQeSNNiQ

James Williams System Of Strategy, "Close the door means to finish your striking combinations with your front hand. On the one hand your are taking advantage of the opportunities that you have created with your jab and right (left) hand and on the other you have put yourself back into a defensible position."

If you mean the above, than generally it's standard training to end combinations with the front hand:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EVzeuOEzlc&t=1m55s

Street boxing UK
Jan 15, 2020

Whenever you attack, you open a door that exposes you to counter. Closing the door can be as simple as closing the gap or as dynamic as using control positions to prevent your opponent from returning fire.

Closing the door:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds_6uCcVTuQ
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Taste of Death on Mon May 18, 2020 10:37 pm

In Han Shi Yi Quan, when we say "closing the door" it refers to left/right rotation of the body, the rotation at the end of the strike. Don't forget to close the door.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Tue May 19, 2020 5:47 am

Taste of Death wrote:In Han Shi Yi Quan, when we say "closing the door" it refers to left/right rotation of the body, the rotation at the end of the strike. Don't forget to close the door.

Boxing does too. Transitioning from offense to defense is referred to as opening and closing the door as well. The shoulder roll defense is an example of closing the door which Haney is training with Mayweather Sr. in the video. Countering with the right hand is referred to as opening the door.

Using some IMA terms loosely, "close the door" by shoulder rolling (yield/roll back) opponent's right cross by closing/folding the right kua (inguinal crease) and rotating which shifts the weight to the rear hip taking the head offline and leading opponent into emptiness. Open the door by opening rear hip, rotating, closing front hip, shifting weight to front hip then issue right hand or uppercut.

James in the OP may be making a different point using a falling step punch similar to a xingyi punch.
marvin8
Wuji

Return to Video Links