Good overview of Chen

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Good overview of Chen

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:34 pm

Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Re: Good overview of Chen

Postby Subitai on Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:43 pm

Thanks for posting...I was interested the entire vid. I know Jack about Chen. I feel like I learned somethings.
Subitai
Huajing

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:15 pm

I thought all the stuff I have seen posted here on Chen and Yang Hai this would get a greater response
This was so good I am going back to watch a lot of his stuff
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby robert on Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:32 pm

wayne hansen wrote:I thought all the stuff I have seen posted here on Chen and Yang Hai this would get a greater response
This was so good I am going back to watch a lot of his stuff

I like his xingyi, but his modern history is bad. He claims that after the famine in Chenjiagou in 1941 they lost their practitioners and also when Chen Zhaopi visited no one was practicing taiji any more.
Just a few examples that contradict his claim. Chen Qingzhou was practicing during that time frame as well as Chen Maoshen. Also CXW and CXX are born in Chenjiagou in that time frame so their father Chen Zhaoxu, one of Chen Fake's sons, was there not only practicing, but also teaching. There are more as well.
This is what Chen Kesen said about his father Chen Zhaopi.

My father spent his whole life propagating Taijiquan. In 1958, when he retired, he was already 65 years old. I was the deputy director of the finance department of Zhengzhou Hydro-Power Bureau's Yellow River Hydro-Power Council. I asked him on three occasions to come to Zhengzhou and stay with me, but, he regretfully declined three times; he was resolute in his determination to return to Chenjiagou and take up residence there. This was because he was aware that the numbers of people practicing Taijiquan was getting fewer and fewer, and, he was concerned that there would be no one to carry Chenstyle Taijiquan on into the next generation. He willingly returned to the spartan village life of Chenjiagou.

There's a big difference between taiji practice is on the decline and no one is practicing.

It's not really clear what Hai Yang is saying about Chen Zhaokui, but he seems to indicate that he only teachers the four tigers. He was invited to Chenjiagou by Chen Maoshen and stayed at his house. Many people studied with him. His son Chen Yu wrote:
At that time, Chen Xiaowang, Chen Zhenglei, Zhu Tiancai , Wang Xi ‘an, Chen Dewang, Chen Suying, Chen Guizhen, Chen Chunai, etc. studied boxing with my father.

FWIW.
Last edited by robert on Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The method of practicing this boxing art is nothing more than opening and closing, passive and active. The subtlety of the art is based entirely upon their alternations. Chen Xin
robert
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:01 pm

This was because he was aware that the numbers of people practicing Taijiquan was getting fewer and fewer[/b], and, he was concerned that there would be no one to carry Chenstyle Taijiquan on into the next generation. He willingly returned to the spartan village life of Chenjiagou
to me this sound as the Chen family boxing was lost in the village, at best some inhabitants guessed around on how to practice
Trick

Postby Bao on Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:55 am

Trick wrote: to me this sound as the Chen family boxing was lost in the village, at best some inhabitants guessed around on how to practice

It was gone but it wasn’t there in the first place. You agreed about that it should be a family style and not a village style. If it was a village style other people should have practiced it. But no one else than the Chen family did. So of course it wasn’t there and no one was surprised.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Return to Video Links