Punching power

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Punching power

Postby Overlord on Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:57 pm

Some MMA guy in China trying to teach how to punch hard...
Got very fancy floor and equipment.

There is a good reason why skipping rope is so much emphasised in Muaythai and boxing
Also the frame. ;D
Last edited by Overlord on Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Overlord

Re: Punching power

Postby Overlord on Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:07 pm

Oh... this explains a lot...
Overlord

Postby Bao on Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:49 am

I think I'll just skip that rope practice.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Overlord on Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:13 am

Bao wrote:I think I'll just skip that rope practice.

Each to his own. Everyone has his own methods.

But training no lie~ my senior told me 練什麼,就有什麼
So if a person talk about boxing like striking power but not train what boxer trained fundamentals like skipping rope,
You can tell by the obvious defect in the frame when they strike or footwork. That is not to say he is no good fighter, just not perfect in terms of boxing style striking.

From observation of aging, we tend to start to age with our feet,
We usually have sprain ankle, compensat by reduce sensitivity of feet and then lose balance of hip right and left, or vice versa
When young we can easily skip rope with both feet, but once our preheaven qi damaged we tend to jump alternating between left and right feet.

Skipping is one of the best way to maintain and preserve dexterity of feet. It also stimulate the distal nerve to wake our system up. But may not be for everyone. It took me like 1 year to get used to this routine so that sustained skipping is possible.
Overlord

Postby Bao on Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:06 am

Overlord wrote:Each to his own. Everyone has his own methods.

But training no lie~ my senior told me 練什麼,就有什麼
So if a person talk about boxing like striking power but not train what boxer trained fundamentals like skipping rope,
You can tell by the obvious defect in the frame when they strike or footwork. That is not to say he is no good fighter, just not perfect in terms of boxing style striking.

I know punching power and understand power generation. But the methods I practice have very little to do with western boxing. I don't agree with him on a general basis that this kind of footwork is necessary for punching power. I also doubt that the Tai Chi guy he spoke about in another vid, who he claimed threw him around with ease, jumped around like a boxer. ;)

Skipping is one of the best way to maintain and preserve dexterity of feet. It also stimulate the distal nerve to wake our system up.

I don't doubt it.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Overlord on Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:36 am

Bao
From my limited understanding of Taiji, jumping around in Taiji? That is fascinating ~
From personal experience with skipping rope I noticed my explosiveness and speed improved, muscle toned.
But everything is personal. You work on what you have bro.
Overlord

Postby Bao on Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:27 am

Overlord wrote:Bao
From my limited understanding of Taiji, jumping around in Taiji? That is fascinating

Isn't it? I saw some "tai chi" people in sanda competitions jumping around. Not my cup of tea. I didn't see much Tai Chi at all. Or any at all.

What I meant, and what I actually said, is that boxing footwork is not necessary for good punching power. He generalises the issue a little and, believe it or not, but there are in fact many different ways to generate good punching power. I don't doubt that skipping rope is excellent general practice.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Overlord on Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:13 pm

Bao wrote:
Overlord wrote:Bao
From my limited understanding of Taiji, jumping around in Taiji? That is fascinating

Isn't it? I saw some "tai chi" people in sanda competitions jumping around. Not my cup of tea. I didn't see much Tai Chi at all. Or any at all.

What I meant, and what I actually said, is that boxing footwork is not necessary for good punching power. He generalises the issue a little and, believe it or not, but there are in fact many different ways to generate good punching power. I don't doubt that skipping rope is excellent general practice.

There are many ways generate punching power, yes.
Please keep in mind he was talking about boxing punches.

There is a very good reason why Muaythai skipping rope is heavier.
The reason is to force you to weight shift(or drop step). That is to force you use your weight to propel the rope, regardless of the direction.
Once you memorize the feeling then you move on to light rope for speed.

Is there weight shift principle in Xingyi? Of course. But it also emphasizes the frame connected to the ground.
So the question is, when you shoot a gun, do you let the bullet go or keep the bullet in the gun barrel?

Bao do you practice punch on heavy bag much without gloves? What is the difference between gloves or non gloves?
Overlord

Postby liokault on Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:50 am

I like Ramsey and have followed his YouTube channel for a long time, but it’s got to be said: For a guy who regularly quotes that he’s a pro MMA fighter, the only fight videos of him that I can find is very disappointing to say the least. I find his weird gait and inability to understand range disconcerting.

https://youtu.be/Aa6MwxrsrVQ

https://youtu.be/o618XHyz8Y4
Last edited by liokault on Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
liokault
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:19 am

Overlord wrote:There is a very good reason why Muaythai skipping rope is heavier.
The reason is to force you to weight shift(or drop step). That is to force you use your weight to propel the rope, regardless of the direction.
Once you memorize the feeling then you move on to light rope for speed.

Thanks for the reminder.
I practiced MT. Not very much but well over a year, did most of the shit like neck wrestling etc, but never got into skipping rope. Did some but never got into it on a regular basis.

Is there weight shift principle in Xingyi? Of course. But it also emphasizes the frame connected to the ground.
So the question is, when you shoot a gun, do you let the bullet go or keep the bullet in the gun barrel?

This is a good question and interesting to compare. When you punch, you get the back force on impact. I think this is a bit difference. If you don't support the body upon impact, the fist won't have any good penetrating power.

Bao do you practice punch on heavy bag much without gloves? What is the difference between gloves or non gloves?

Absolutely, I like punching bags without gloves. I have wrapped my fists to protect the skin on the nuckles, but I don't like using gloves. Hard to describe the difference of the feeling, but I don't want anything that disrupts that direct impact. I mostly use TJQ and XYQ whole body methods, long time since I bothered practicing regular boxing or MT on a bag. I believe you learn how to control and to maintain your balance better on impact using traditional IMA than in regular boxing methods where you focus on footwork. (which IMO means more powerful, penetrating power) ...Of course, ymmv....
Bao
Great Old One

Return to Video Links