Northern Legs & Southern Hands?

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Northern Legs & Southern Hands?

Postby chenyaolong on Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:11 am

What are the main characteristics of Northern and Southern styles of Chinese Kung Fu, and what are the conditions and factors that led to these differences? This is the first of a series of videos I will be making where I present my findings from the various research trips I have undertaken in China & Asia.

chenyaolong
Wuji

Re: Northern Legs & Southern Hands?

Postby aamc on Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:38 pm

I feel as if the classifications around southern styles are not broad enough. What's being described are those Fujian styles, those styles that have the 3-step formula. I don't think it explains those Guangzhou southern styles that got exported to the west; Hung Gar, Choy Lee Fut, Lama Pai, Hop Gar. These southern styles, don't have the three step formula, have both battlefield and farmer weapons, do generate power through the legs.
Last edited by aamc on Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
aamc
Wuji

Postby chenyaolong on Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:54 pm

What would you suggest are the main characteristics? Because everything I could think of as far as Fujian and Hakka styles were contradicted by those styles you mentioned.
chenyaolong
Wuji

Postby jimmy on Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:10 pm

sorry... wrong thread wrote:
jimmy
Wuji

Postby aamc on Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:48 am

What would you suggest are the main characteristics? Because everything I could think of as far as Fujian and Hakka styles were contradicted by those styles you mentioned.

If you want some broad similarities; both static and dynamic stance training, swinging punches as body method training, two person sets.
Last edited by aamc on Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
aamc
Wuji

Postby chenyaolong on Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:23 am

So then that's no different to northern styles.
chenyaolong
Wuji

Postby aamc on Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:30 am

Yup, agreed
aamc
Wuji

Postby dspyrido on Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:03 pm

North vs South was a generalisation for where they started training:

Northern legs - long stances and long range kicking
Southern hands - legs are stabilisers for the hands and focus is on arm control/striking

It's just a generalisation and some styles had convergence to the other end.

I flicked through the video but the difference seemed to be more in line with harmonies (hand and foot) vs isolation (legs move separate to arms).
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:51 pm

I don't think it explains those Guangzhou southern styles that got exported to the west; Hung Gar, Choy Lee Fut, Lama Pai, Hop Gar. These southern styles, don't have the three step formula, have both battlefield and farmer weapons, do generate power through the legs.

Agreed. Hung gar has maybe the clearest power generation by transition from one stance to another. Mok gar and Choy Li Fut has similar ways using footwork and transitions to generate power.

What is more interesting than footwork, IMHO, is to compare breathing techniques and methods. Here you can see very clear differences between northern styles and Hakka arts for instance. The breathing methods are also something that affects the use of legs and stances and practice of postures. So if you go from this direction and first understand the differences in breathing and internal aspects, then it’s also more easy to understand the differences of the legs and footwork. Again, IMHO.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Return to Video Links