When Wing Chun Isn't Enough, He uses His MMA Instead

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

When Wing Chun Isn't Enough, He uses His MMA Instead

Postby marvin8 on Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:31 pm

MindSmash
Jun 19, 2020

This was a clip that garnered millions of views for a few reasons with the main one being that a traditional style thought to be more on the ornamental side actually beat Muay Thai... Is this true? How Could Muay Thai as a style lose to Wing Chun? Even Bruce Lee felt Wing Chun was incomplete; yet here, the Wing Chun fighter had his hand raised at the end of it... How could this happen? Is this the rise of a form of Kung Fu in MMA or is there more than meets the eye? Thank you for joining me on this breakdown as we take a closer glance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxUgMgS5w8Y

Excerpts from transcript:

MindSmash on Jun 19, 2020 wrote:... If the Wing Chun fighter could line up Liu Wei for dropping his hands and circling the way he does, so, like Cosmo Alexander versus Sage Northcut. Feint and control limit his opponent’s options, thus, walking into the direction of the blow. This could be a very different fight, but the style of striking does not seem to possess that. He’s just chasing his opponent. It seems that landing with something wilder when Liu Wei over extends is a more successful option. But even then, chasing Liu Wei in a straight line almost looks like a game of cat-and-mouse. At this point, Li Zihao’s style is completely changed and you’re starting to see him control his opponent much better. With it, he’s landing more solid; he isn’t whisking air; or just merely tapping it in effect the same way. Lead hook into low kick. Textbook. He’s starting to look like a kickboxer. It’s as if he’s being forced to level up the longer the fight progresses, fainting the hands into a chum knee to the body. He’s reading the fight. He’s adjusting to his opponent with a completely different style at this point. ...

This guy is a mixed martial artist fighter to the core. Instantly, see his opponent on the canvas, he dashes for side control and secures a pin from there, wrestling. And watch, he easily establishes his full mount. Clearly, Li Zihao is trained in wrestling, peppering from full mount, he easily takes the back. He wanted this. And look, this type of choke isn’t taught as much anymore as it’s really easy to fight. But Liu Wei, he doesn’t know how to peel the hand, let alone cut down his chin. Liu Wei has no idea what he was doing versus Li Zihao. It’s easy to say that he should have not agreed to a mixed martial arts fight versus a mixed martial arts fighter. Maybe he was deceived, saying that he was fighting just a wing chun guy. But as you can see, a basic combination of wrestling and jiu jitsu easily handed Li Zihao the win.

Full fight.

RebelFC
Nov 16, 2017

Special Showcase – Wing Chun VS Muay Thai
(Featherweight, 66kg)
Li Zihao, China, beat Liu Wei, China
Round 2, Rear Naked Choke, 4m20s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3E6RmzXrnc
marvin8
Wuji

Re: When Wing Chun Isn't Enough, He uses His MMA Instead

Postby dspyrido on Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:30 pm

Guy uses WC and internet boyz get butthutt?

The most important move of the match is not how he did a body lock/rear choke but the beautiful catch and sweep he applies. A move I was taught in WC & elsewhere but with a slight difference of kick the supporting knee or opponents groin before sweeping. This move was the beginning of the end of the fight.

Plus, 30 years ago IN WC I got my 2nd taste of ground fighting where I was taught moves like how to mount, chain punch and elbow. We also learnt a bunch of other things like the the basics of kicking out, cover and rise up to escape a standing opponent.

Did they obviously learn this from UFC before it even existed? Are these move not allowed to be taught in WC anymore?
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby everything on Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:53 am

on a side note, are MA watchers really all naive idiots with respect to marketing hype?

there is x, where x could be caffeinated sugar water, and then there is the marketing description which could be good sounding shit like "open happiness".

if we are stupid enough to think the marketing label is the truthful and accurate description of x, well ....

pretty much i cannot watch any of the click-baity-headline x vs. mma vids any more. it's like nobody ever read about jkd or watched royce in 92. maybe all that content got banned/censored by the Great Firewall?
Last edited by everything on Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Trick on Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:21 am

everything wrote:. it's like nobody ever read about jkd or watched royce in 92. maybe all that content got banned/censored by the Great Firewall?

What fire wall would that be ? https://v.youku.com/pad_show/id_XMTU4NT ... ie%3Dutf-8
Trick

Postby wayne hansen on Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:03 am

Any groundwork in wing Chun has been added from elsewhere
There was plenty of groundwork around before the ufc
In the 80's I was teaching my kali students chokes throws locks and submission holds
Dan was teaching all this at the same time
I am sure there were plenty of WC people doing the same
However there was no general talk of it being part of the WC mainstream
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Trick on Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:55 pm

Gichin Funakoshi and Jigiro Kano collaborated on striking and throwing methods in the early days of Karate on mainland Japan.......so striking and throwing methods fusion was already going on with the modern forefathers of M(odern)MA

Anyway, speaking of Wing Chun/Wing Tsun/Ving Tsun(spelling?).....The Classic challenge fight between Emin Boztep(spelling?j vs William Cheung(spelling?j went to the ground and that was “pure” Wing Chun/Wing Tsun/Ving Tsun....

Later Emin Boztep challenged the top Grazie(spelling?) of GJJ/BJJ(?) (or was it the other way around?) but the fight never happened for some reason...
Trick

Return to Video Links