Bagua Zhang Ten Minute Primer - Foundational Basic Skills (P

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Bagua Zhang Ten Minute Primer - Foundational Basic Skills (P

Postby wushutiger on Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:27 am

Bagua Zhang Ten Minute Primer - Foundational Basic Skills (Part 3)

wushutiger
Wuji

Re: Bagua Zhang Ten Minute Primer - Foundational Basic Skills (P

Postby aamc on Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:48 pm

I think this is a great video with clear presentation. It had me ask a wider question. What are the functions of these videos? What is the root reason for recording them?

Are these an adjunct or a training resource for your students. Something that your in person student can cross reference and confirm the shapes?

Are these documentation or a diary of the style?

Are these remote training material?

I think these questions are important because it gives some context as to how too view the content
aamc
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:14 am

Thanks Byron. Good as always!

The milstone standing posture (180 degree twist between upper and lower body, used in your video thumbnail) is impossible not to link to the discussion being had on the weapons-origins thread which mentioned Chinese archery, because it looks exacty (to me) like some sort of training method for using the Parthian Shot (a horseback archery technique of feining a retreat then turning and shooting behind you 180 degrees once the enemy commit to chasing you. It was favoured by the Mongols).

Dong He Chuan was inside the imperial palace starting in 1864, the ruling Manchu's (from the North) still had horseback archery as part of the military service exam. He also allegedly spent 10 years in Mongolia with Yin Fu as a tax collector. Coincidence or not? Who can say.

Last edited by GrahamB on Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:18 am, edited 4 times in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:45 am

Riding away from tax collectors ...........or running away from angry mob of taxation subjects 8-)
Trick

Postby GrahamB on Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:52 am

A cool video showing Mongol archery on horseback:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPcuD2_4sz4

The second exercise shown in the OP - circling palm (tea cups) looks a lot like an exercise for using a curved sabre from horseback too. Swordsmanship was part of the Mongol military training, for obvious reasons.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby chenyaolong on Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:30 pm

GrahamB wrote:Thanks Byron. Good as always!

The milstone standing posture (180 degree twist between upper and lower body, used in your video thumbnail) is impossible not to link to the discussion being had on the weapons-origins thread which mentioned Chinese archery, because it looks exacty (to me) like some sort of training method for using the Parthian Shot (a horseback archery technique of feining a retreat then turning and shooting behind you 180 degrees once the enemy commit to chasing you. It was favoured by the Mongols).

Dong He Chuan was inside the imperial palace starting in 1864, the ruling Manchu's (from the North) still had horseback archery as part of the military service exam. He also allegedly spent 10 years in Mongolia with Yin Fu as a tax collector. Coincidence or not? Who can say.

If you take the horse and bow away, this looks almost identical to the basic Gongbu Zhan Zhuang in our Mantis. Also in several styles like Chuo Jiao and some Long Fist. I think its something that predates Bagua.
chenyaolong
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:00 pm

I like this guys stuff

https://youtu.be/laiTpqS4N0g
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Return to Video Links