EoE Benq Quan

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: EoE Benq Quan

Postby Quigga on Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:17 am

Why did your tummy start to feel funny and what colour is the no-yummy vomit?
Quigga

Postby Overlord on Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:56 pm

Ian C. Kuzushi wrote:
wayne hansen wrote:Sparring is right not fighting
I think his teacher did a lot of no contact stuff in Japan
I think a lot of people who teach seminars all over the place get into a certain mode of instruction as opposed to those who teach long term students continually
I gave up the seminar thing early on because as enjoyable as it was I thought it was a bit of a con

Su Dong Chen was one of Hong Yi Xiang's best tournament fighters.

AFAIK
Tiger Hong was the one who took on the challenges and helping set up the dojo in Japan.
If one look his shenfa carefully, you can tell the difference~ no kendo posture
:)

https://facebook.com/100034946806974/videos/119724589202434/?d=n
Overlord

Postby marvin8 on Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:18 pm

Bhassler wrote:Nice blog post that provides a little bit of context for what he was doing in the OP.

https://eoeamericablog.wordpress.com/20 ... qo9yBWqPbQ

This too ...

Excerpt from "Essence of Beng Quan – Thoughts & Supplementary Material:"

Sifu Matt on February 28, 2021 wrote:Part II – Video Outline
Each section here corresponds to a scene in the video, and includes a notation of the approximate time in which those scenes appear. My recommendation is to read through this outline a couple of times, then watch the video.

Traditional Form (0:14)
A brief performance of the Beng Quan form of Hebei-region XYQ, from the Yizong line of Zhang Junfeng, as taught to me by Su Dongchen in the early 2000s. Note that I’m doing the form in a somewhat limited space. Note also that my performance of the form is free of excess tension, and does not display fajing, or “sending power.” My training philosophy is, if you want to send power, send it into an object. Objects are objective.

Regarding the name of the form: Beng Quan is most frequently translated into English as “Crushing Fist.” However, the Chinese character “beng” also relates to the elastic movement of drawing back and releasing the string of a bow. Su usually referred to this form in English as “elastic fist.” As a traditional saying of Hebei XYQ describes Beng Quan: “Its form is like an arrow.” I don’t currently have access to a bow & arrow set, or I would have included it in the following section.

Proof/Object Method: Demonstration of Principle (0:24)
Front-Back is the dominant axis of movement for this form. The principle of Front-Back movement is Extension/Contraction, or elasticity. Object: elastic band.

Circulation Exercise Method (∞): Running (0:30)
EOE theory’s term for exercise that cycles continuously is “Circulation Exercise,” represented by the infinity symbol (∞). Running is the most basic human exercise involving relative balance of arms and legs, extending/contracting along the Front-Back axis. Running requires coordinated movement of shoulders & hips, elbows & knees, and hands & feet, known in the XYQ world as the “Three External Harmonies” (Wai San He).

The energy and inertia of running can significantly improve the martial applicability of this form. Note that I demonstrate the following variations: changing speed, moving both forward and backward, running in place, and conversion from simple running to running while thrusting the fists. This process takes fixed Circulation Exercise (∞) and develops it into free-form Spiral Exercise (@).

Conversion Method: Cross & Spiral (X@) – Hand Method (0:38)
Crossing (X) and Crossed (@) technique are the physical manifestation of defense tactics—intercepting, preventing, and controlling an attack (more on this in our next video, Essence of Martial Arts Technique, coming soon). Using the basic hand method of Beng Quan as a starting point, I demonstrate fluid left/right conversion movement.

Conversion Method: Cross & Spiral (X@) – Total Body Exercise Method (0:48)
Beginning with a variation in the Beng Quan form, commonly seen in the first section of XYQ’s Lianhuan Quan or “Linking Fist” form, and changing into free-form Spiral Exercise (@) that integrates arm, leg, and body movement.

Proof/Object Method: Sending Power (Point & Line • —) (0:59)
Using beanbags to demonstrate and practice sending power forward, first one at a time, then in a rapid series (high-density ⸫). The beanbag is a kind of Point, that follows a Line of trajectory when thrown.

I made these beanbags myself from denim scraps; in a future video, I’ll show how to make them, for the benefit of people like me who have little or no skill at sewing.

Stepping Method: One-Step, Two-Step, & Three-Step (• •• •••) (1:06)
One-Step is the basis of weight transfer. Focusing on a single leg (Partial Body Method), I demonstrate both a full step, into a forward bow stance, and a half-step. Two-Step transfers the full body weight forward using both legs (Total Body Method). Three-Step combines One- and Two-Step to continue forward inertia (Inertia Method).

Stepping Method: Extending Step (1:12)
A specialized walking method to move forward while sinking the body weight (Circulation Exercise ∞), commonly known in the NJQ world as the Mud Sliding Step.

Body Method: Extension & Contraction (1:16)
Holistic physical practice includes training of the body axis, in addition to training of arms and legs. I first demonstrate rocking forward and backward, which is the basis of body movement along the Front-Back axis. Next is swinging the arms up and over the body, using pendulum motion to open the body.

Leg Method: Wave Motion (~) (1:25)
Showing freestyle wave motion through forward-backward rocking on both feet.

Point-Line Striking Method: Kicking (• —) (1:31)
Demonstrating kicking methods with the knee and foot along the Front-Back axis.

Object Method: Short, Medium, Long (• •• •••) (1:42)
Combining striking with footwork along the Front-Back axis, using various objects (short & long, firm & flexible, light & heavy, single & double handed).

Object Method: Tonfa – Front-Back Turning (2:12)
Using a tonfa (Okinawan-style baton) to practice transferring power while turning front to back.

Spiral Exercise Method (@): Front-Back Turning (2:18)
Freestyle turning from front to back, with and without stepping.

Spiral Exercise Method (@): Freestyle Beng Quan (2:35)
Dynamic form play, coordinating striking with stepping, long & short striking, sending power, etc.

Interlude: Explanation of Purpose (2:55)

Training Montage (5:34)

Demonstrating various training methods, using available objects to practice Front-Back movement dynamics, along with Point-Line, Crossing, and Spiral technique (• — X(#) @).
marvin8
Wuji

Previous

Return to Video Links