Hong Kong '80s full contact scene

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Hong Kong '80s full contact scene

Postby Trick on Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:31 am

marvin8 wrote:
GrahamB wrote:Problems of text communication then. You italicised "is", in the line "There is a MMA scene in Hong Kong today, though not related to triads.", which reads as you saying 'no, you're wrong there is a MMA scene..."

The italicized "is" is meant to be read, "For anyone that is unaware (not necessarily GrahamB), there is a MMA scene in Hong Kong today." I added, "though not related to triads," to suggest you may be aware of both MMA scenes in Hong Kong. :)

I was aware there was a Hong Kong '80s full contact scene, as I posted here:

marvin8 wrote:In 1981, Benny Urquidez takes part to an American team, headed by WKA President, Howard Hanson, during the "Road to Hong-Kong". In this city, Urquidez fights Kong Fu Tak, a local kung-fu champion and beats him before the end of the fight. It's sometimes mentioned that it was a death match. If you see the video, it is more a fight in kick-boxing style, with protections for the hands and feet and is disputed without a ring, with a referee. Kong Fu Tak will beat Billy Chow in a Thai-Boxing fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98aOKLKB4Lc

If remember right thai boxing had an vouge n the 80’s in HK, and there were some deaths reported happen in the fights(maybe just one or two, but that’s of course one or two too many)
Last edited by Trick on Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trick

Re: Hong Kong '80s full contact scene

Postby Steve James on Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:08 am

I thought kumite was just the competition part of karate's three k's. I only know about "The Kumite" from movies, though I know there were/are plenty of fighting competitions (organized by crime figures and associates) :).
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Video Links