The Drunken Boxing Podcast #022 - Mario Napoli

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: The Drunken Boxing Podcast #022 - Mario Napoli

Postby Steve James on Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:26 am

Mario is definitely not a "big" guy. He's more like the proverbial fireplug; short and stout. The context of the whole Chenjiagou tournament was that Chen taiji was the best taiji and CMC's taiji was shit. This also crossed into the "what is internal" debate. The fact was that Chen style push hands was a style of grappling. The argument was also offered that Mario was "really" a judoka, because he had experience with that discipline. There are videos of the tournament on YouTube, and you're able to make your own decision.

Fwiw, I've known Mario since the 90s and before the tournament, and he's always noted that he was sick at the time.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:18 pm

He must be pretty big if the other guy is six foot three
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Kelley Graham on Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:12 am

Let’s apply some internet troll logic to this alt fact nonsense. If Esteemed Mario had lost, then the dysentery story could have been ginned up. Since he won, convincingly, what possible benefit could the winner accrue? Besides, can anyone who encounters Esteemed Mario believe that he would lie for no good reason? Not me anyway. Kudos to Esteemed Mario!
Last edited by Kelley Graham on Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kelley Graham
Website - https://ucbprogram.com
Follow - https://ucb.social/@imklg
Kelley Graham
Administrator

Postby Giles on Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:12 am

Just in case misunderstandings are arising:

Mario's student Jesse (mentioned in the interview) is a big guy.
Mario himself, as described by Steve, is smaller and stocky/powerful. Not a big guy at least height-wise. I'm about 6 ft 2 in, so you can compare in this photo from, I think, 2000. (Ah, youth: now I'm totally gray. But I also have a little more substance on my bones).

Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Previous

Return to Video Links