Kung Fu

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Kung Fu

Postby Steve James on Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:07 am

t’s hard, though, to discuss “Kung Fu” without acknowledging the growing anti-Asian racism that has popped up in the headlines over the last several months. Kim explained that she’s “heartbroken and outraged.” “We need to come together as a society to condemn these terrible acts of violence,” she said. “I don’t think my TV show is the solution but I really do hope shows like ‘Kung Fu’ [are] going to bring about greater cultural awareness and acceptance of Asians.”

It’s a bittersweet time to release this series, but Liang similarly hopes there’s an opportunity to do good. She said the series doesn’t seek to depict all Asian-American experiences, but one specific set of characters that can be relatable to others. “It seems silly to boil down anti-Asian racism and hate crimes to a lack of representation but it really is a huge part of it,” she said. “If we’re not in people’s homes, on their screens…we just continue to be other, to be seen as unrelatable and not fully human.”

I think that's precisely what I've been saying.

Afa Bruce Lee portraying Cain, ok, maybe Carradine was a better actor. Lee auditiond for the role, but the story is that they didn't think people would understand his accent. But, there were other Asian actors who could have taken the role. C'mon, have you watched the show? There were Asian martial arts actors available. However, by now, I couldn't imagine anyone other than Carradine playing Cain.

It's interesting that Brandon Lee played in the Kung Fu movie. As I said, the reason Carradine was given the role was because there'd never been an Asian playing a lead character, and it was "pc" and traditional to use a White actor. That is, unless you can argue that Asians can't play Asians as well as European actors.

Imo, that's exactly why using Asian actors is important. Though, it never bothered me that Carradine wasn't Asian. Yes, he was respected in the ma community, but not really because he was a good martial artist. It was more that the show and his character were so inspirational. It was Kwai Chang's philosophy that was influential, and that he made kung fu look cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7YDcLP2DeY
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:09 am

"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:02 am

Steve James wrote:Yeah, I caught Warrior S1 on Cinemax, and was happy when it came to HBOMax. Too bad, there won't be a third season. There's still a lot of story, and the characters are interesting.

It was recently announced 'Warrior' Season 3 has been renewed. A date for season three hasn't been announced yet.

"Jason Tobin (Young Jun) on WARRIOR season 3 renewal"

SCMP MMA
Apr 18, 2021

Hong Kong actor Jason Tobin joins Nick Atkin on the Post Fight Podcast to discuss Warrior's new lease of life on HBO Max, and how the show is resonating with viewers amid the current anti-Asian hate crisis. Jason also discusses his favourite moments working on the series so far, reprising the role of Earl in the upcoming Fast & Furious 9, his new project Fistful of Vengeance and plenty more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsxHAu4iUtk
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:07 am

It was recently announced 'Warrior' Season 3 has been renewed. A date for season three hasn't been announced yet.

Yep. I heard. :) I like the fantasy there better than on the new Kung Fu.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:13 am

Hey, hey, Shang-Chi is coming too :) I'm very down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giWIr7U1deA
Steve James
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Video Links