Tai Chi Neigong: Using the forces, Self Defence—Neil Rosiak

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Tai Chi Neigong: Using the forces, Self Defence—Neil Rosiak

Postby dspyrido on Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:37 pm

nicklinjm wrote:Surprised Erle Montaigue's 'interviews' with his supposed teacher Chang Yiu-chun are still being brought up so many years later.

Basically the conclusion from multiple discussions online (e.g. see here: http://www.shenwu.com/discus/messages/431/2975.html?1150683459) has been that Chang Yiu-chun either didn't exist or if he did he never studied from Yang Shaohou. No name similar to Chang's appears in the list of YSH's known disciples, and the taiji practiced and taught by Erle does not resemble that taught by actual students / disciples of YSH, such as Zhang Huchen or Gu Luping.

Erle's material seems to have been based on Chen Panling's form with a lot of the other material basically just made up.

As for Old Yang, there are the branches coming from YSH I mentioned above, also people coming from Yang Banhou's disciples in his hometown (Li Wancheng, Bai Zhongxin) who still practice the pre-YCF versions of the system.


This stuff is hilarious! Thanking you!

I know the tc world divides & just keeps on dividing so it's so fragmented it ends up in a few big brands and many division's of 1 or 0 but in the end even the link you posted is just as supportive as it is damning.

I know we'll never really know the real history. I also know I know very little when compared to the historians of IMA. Frankly the back stories don't interest me like the question "how does this work?"

I keep seeing snippets of fighty TC & many many softy TC. The fighty ones just seem to deliver more goods than the softies. In the end mad or not Erle's stuff looks more real to me than say Cheng Man Ching.

But I'm happy to be shown the light of really great unscripted softy TC applied even semi realistically. Then any commentary on how it's trained would be great. Until then the old school power method seems to be the only way.
User avatar
dspyrido
Wuji
 
Posts: 2444
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:03 am

Re: Tai Chi Neigong: Using the forces, Self Defence—Neil Rosiak

Postby wayne hansen on Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:01 pm

Our school in Penang CMC has a proud fighting both real and tournament
If you think Erles stuff looks real I will have to re think any comments you make
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji
 
Posts: 3954
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:52 pm

Re: Tai Chi Neigong: Using the forces, Self Defence—Neil Rosiak

Postby wayne hansen on Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:03 pm

nicklinjm wrote:Surprised Erle Montaigue's 'interviews' with his supposed teacher Chang Yiu-chun are still being brought up so many years later.

Basically the conclusion from multiple discussions online (e.g. see here: http://www.shenwu.com/discus/messages/431/2975.html?1150683459) has been that Chang Yiu-chun either didn't exist or if he did he never studied from Yang Shaohou. No name similar to Chang's appears in the list of YSH's known disciples, and the taiji practiced and taught by Erle does not resemble that taught by actual students / disciples of YSH, such as Zhang Huchen or Gu Luping.

Erle's material seems to have been based on Chen Panling's form with a lot of the other material basically just made up.

As for Old Yang, there are the branches coming from YSH I mentioned above, also people coming from Yang Banhou's disciples in his hometown (Li Wancheng, Bai Zhongxin) who still practice the pre-YCF versions of the system.



Not far off the truth there Nick
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji
 
Posts: 3954
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:52 pm

Re: Tai Chi Neigong: Using the forces, Self Defence—Neil Rosiak

Postby dspyrido on Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:27 pm

wayne hansen wrote:Our school in Penang CMC has a proud fighting both real and tournament
If you think Erles stuff looks real I will have to re think any comments you make


Nah you're on the right track. My comments are useless but heck I'm happy to be shown the light.

I actually don't really think too much about Erle other than he was that hairy guy in the 90s who did TC & ...

OMG ... he hit pads!

I never paid attention to anything else like forms, shenfa or push hands that you guys get excited by. Also he had something going for dim mak that looked weighty but I couldn't take seriously.

Post a stream of you guys or related schools doing fighty TC stuff. In the background I'll do a bit of poking around for CMC Penang.
User avatar
dspyrido
Wuji
 
Posts: 2444
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:03 am

Re: Tai Chi Neigong: Using the forces, Self Defence—Neil Rosiak

Postby wayne hansen on Sat May 01, 2021 1:47 am

Unfortunately there were no phones back then with cameras
However there is film of Dan Dockerty winning the same tournament that wang Ken Sui also one
Many members of the Malaysian Thai Keik assn won the same tournament
I fought in the 1975 Full contact tang shou Tao tournament
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji
 
Posts: 3954
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:52 pm

Re: Tai Chi Neigong: Using the forces, Self Defence—Neil Rosiak

Postby Bao on Sat May 01, 2021 4:38 am

wayne hansen wrote:However there is film of Dan Dockerty winning the same tournament that wang Ken Sui also one


Oh, you mean the flying kick... Maybe not what many would suspect that a “tai chi guy” would use. Overall he showed excellent understanding of distance and timing.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One
 
Posts: 7905
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 12:46 pm
Location: High up north

Re: Tai Chi Neigong: Using the forces, Self Defence—Neil Rosiak

Postby wayne hansen on Sat May 01, 2021 11:22 am

I am not using Dan as an example although I also have roots back to Chen Tin Hung
I only watched the film once so I forget the flying side kick
It was the premier tournament for Kung fu at the time
Muay Thai and Silat guys as well as Shaolin guys would always come t o our school in Penang to test themselves out at the time
Most of Yeap Sui Tings students had hard style skills due to the fact they had challenged Yeap and lost in no holds barred fights
However most only trained in his method after converting
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji
 
Posts: 3954
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:52 pm

Re: Tai Chi Neigong: Using the forces, Self Defence—Neil Rosiak

Postby GrahamB on Sat May 01, 2021 11:34 am

I've only seen this tiny snippet, but it looks like the flying side kick is done by the other guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DL4kaox2ZY
I could be wrong.
The Tai Chi Notebook
User avatar
GrahamB
Great Old One
 
Posts: 12625
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 3:30 pm

Previous

Return to Video Links

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests