Kelly Whelan-Enns' Videos

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Kelly Whelan-Enns' Videos

Postby greytowhite on Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:55 am

Kelly has been making courses on Udemy and generously offering gems for free on his YouTube channel. Kelly recently started making a podcast and updated his web site. If you have his older courses you already have a blueprint for the content he has been releasing lately. That said, his newer courses have a lot more information. Kelly's deep knowledge and understanding of the arts he teaches are obvious to anyone else who has trained them in person.

I met up with a student of Neil Ripski's school who was visiting from Chicago a few years back to practice push hands and compare/contrast styles. He said practicing with Neil is like wrestling a bear but pushing hands with Kelly is worse. I was curious as my first Gong style instructor, Lloyd Day, also spoke well of Kelly. Kelly's content has really helped me through the years, particularly with my Jiang Rong Qiao Baguazhang. I've been meticulously going through and buying his Bagua courses as I'm able. Udemy regularly has the courses on sale but I try to pay full price when I can.

Thanks to Taste of Death here and Ray Carbullido I have been fortunate to receive some in person instruction in Han Family Yiquan. I have since gone on to research it a little more on my own and the Standing Stake material Kelly offers is very close to the stances taught by Han Jing Chen. I think his Earth Marrow Washing and Bone Marrow Washing material from the Qigong course are really good stuff to integrate into Zhan Zhuang. I feel his distance instruction has been a valuable addition to my standing and circle walking practices. Kelly learned his Yiquan from a student of Lee Ying Arng who learned in Hong Kong if I recall correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCveVtr ... DV4qZhlitA

https://www.udemy.com/user/kelly-whelan-enns/

https://legendarylivingarts.ca/about/

https://anchor.fm/theopendoor/episodes/ ... oor-eonhu9
greytowhite
Wuji

Re: Kelly Whelan-Enns' Videos

Postby jjy5016 on Fri May 14, 2021 5:00 am

Lee Ying Arng learned yiquan from Leung Zhi Peng.

Leung Zhi Peng learned only a little bit of yiquan from You Peng xi. He was a very good fighter who at one time was champion of three provinces and would fight every day in a park in HK well into his 60's. His specialties were eagle claw, LHBF, taijiquan, baguazhang and hsingyi quan.

He was the first person to bring yiquan to Hong Kong and also introduced my teacher to yiquan.

He invited Han Xing Yuan to fight him but Han refused. Some sort of generational or lineage thing... Han did go over to his house one day to discuss quan and drank a bottle of his liquor.

FWIW
"I kew evibady. I squeegee him - like dis. STAND me?"
I'm always careful to lift the seat when IP
jjy5016
Great Old One

Postby nicklinjm on Fri May 14, 2021 6:39 pm

@jjy5016, interesting that you should mention Leung Zhi Peng, I am currently learning some of the LZP material from a teacher here in HK.

How would you compare Leung's stuff to Han family Yiquan? Leung was a good fighter but didn't really get the whole system?
nicklinjm
Wuji

Postby jjy5016 on Mon May 17, 2021 10:06 am

Leung's students seemed to be better fighters than Han's. Yiquan's basic training as taught by Han, didn't really teach fighting. After some time Han began teaching the yiquan students some shuai jiao so they could fight. My teacher left Leung to study with Han. Leung saw my teacher practicing taiji in the park one morning and invited him to his home to study privately with him. He learned Leung's LHBF form and some yiquan from Leung but never told me what he got from who. Leung supposedly didn't get the whole yiquan or LHBF system but taught them nevertheless. Who was going to challenge him on it?
"I kew evibady. I squeegee him - like dis. STAND me?"
I'm always careful to lift the seat when IP
jjy5016
Great Old One

Postby nicklinjm on Tue May 18, 2021 5:30 pm

Haha, interesting to know and chimes with what I've heard from my current teacher (especially the park challenges part!). Am finding Leung's exercises / stances v helpful for my own practice so will keep on plugging on.

Surprised at the comment that Han's students found it difficult to transition to the fighting part - I thought that younger Han was a famous fighter in his day too?
nicklinjm
Wuji

Return to Video Links