Gerald Sharp's Comprehensive Yiquan Videos

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Gerald Sharp's Comprehensive Yiquan Videos

Postby greytowhite on Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:31 am

Gerald Sharp is related to my Gong style Xingyi and Bagua lineage somehow. After looking at his Xingyi videos I can tell what he teaches is a slightly different branch of the same family. A lot of the Xingyi Qigong, Neigong, and Zhan Zhuang material I was taught locally is basically expanded in his various videos. His Bagua videos have a huge curriculum in comparison to what we preserved. I have truly enjoyed watching this Comprehensive Yiquan set.

I feel like anyone who has trained with Kenny Gong or Henry Look may find great value from these discs. There is so much here that is extremely interesting and at times overwhelming. The Han brothers and their students teach about 6-11 stances whereas this set has 10 core stances. There are 24 stances, with some being side to side variants that are practiced in a sequence that is not intuitive but I can't speak on the value of the sequence as I'm not familiar enough with it. Some of the posture names are from Liuhebafa. Some of the postures have single movement fajin exercises important for developing a relaxed, vibratory strike.

The 6 Healing Sounds practice is similar to something I learned locally called the Whisper Form only with toning and mudra. These esoteric trappings of toning and practicing Xingyi 5 Elements form are of great interest to me as I have seen similar sound and mudra exercises in another Baguazhang lineage. The seated and reclining meditations are similar to those seen elsewhere online in Yiquan circles and Sharp goes through them with more detail than most provide. Where the Han brothers seem to have focused their Yiquan into a striking art, this Yiquan influenced by Huan and Jiang seems to focus on Shua Jiao.

http://chiflow.com/store/instructional- ... -i-and-ii/
Last edited by greytowhite on Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Practice Makes Progress
greytowhite
Wuji

Re: Gerald Sharp's Comprehensive Yiquan Videos

Postby nicklinjm on Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:43 pm

Any previews or extracts online? Hard to comment without seeing Sharp's practice.
nicklinjm
Wuji

Re: Gerald Sharp's Comprehensive Yiquan Videos

Postby greytowhite on Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:37 pm

I haven't seen him release any videos from his Yiquan set - their line places it within the Xingyiquan curriculum and doesn't treat it as a separate art. The Yiquan walking exercises in this set look like the basics of Jiang's Bagua honestly.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_NiXG ... IKw/videos
https://www.facebook.com/qiflow/videos/
Practice Makes Progress
greytowhite
Wuji

Return to Video Links