Gerald Sharp's Xingyi Mother Fists

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Gerald Sharp's Xingyi Mother Fists

Postby greytowhite on Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:42 am

Gerald has trained with a number of extremely skilled people and his Xingyiquan discs are quite enjoyable. Having trained with another line of related Xingyiquan I can see the Kenny Gong 5 Exercises or the Xingyi Standing Pole Qigong that Li Deyin (both probably descend from Li Cunyi) teaches but taken to a more evolved place. The 5 Elements are demonstrated here as Jiang practiced closer to the end of his life. Liuhebafa started to leak into all of Jiang's other Neijiaquan styles in my opinion. The variants of each of the elements for practice is extremely useful and is often very similar but not quite the same to how I learned from Lloyd Day. The Mutual Creation and Destruction practices are extremely valuable to anyone looking to polish their Xingyi fundamentals. I've seen the 5 Elements taught from a number of teachers on video now and feel this is one of the most thorough presentations that is true to its school instead of a wider "standard" of Hebei Xingyiquan.

http://chiflow.com/store/instructional- ... -i-and-ii/
Practice Makes Progress
greytowhite
Wuji

Re: Gerald Sharp's Xingyi Mother Fists

Postby allen2saint on Sun May 02, 2021 6:42 am

I like the way his Xing Yi involves a lot of takedowns. I’m not an expert by any means, but this seems to a unique feature of his art. Could you say more about that aspect?
allen2saint
Wuji

Postby greytowhite on Sun May 02, 2021 7:44 am

allen I think that has more to do with Gerald's personal expression and knowledge. I feel like all of the internal arts excel at throws and takedowns when it's actually trained instead of just partner striking exercises and push hands. I feel like a lot of the standing takedowns are super brutal. In my personal experience learning from people, they demonstrate on me and then I have to go figure out how that works outside of the school. Usually I like to find a judo or jujitsu place because they can take it and expect to get hit and so long as everyone is respectful can workshop it. The Xingyi striking can get in your body more quickly - all the throwing depends a lot on zhan zhuang and extended time in neigong.
Practice Makes Progress
greytowhite
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sun May 02, 2021 12:20 pm

I thought throwing depended on throwing practice not noi gung and standing
They may help but not teach it automatically
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby greytowhite on Mon May 03, 2021 9:23 am

greytowhite wrote:allen I think that has more to do with Gerald's personal expression and knowledge. I feel like all of the internal arts excel at throws and takedowns when it's actually trained...

wayne did you miss this part? Zhan zhuang and neigong are critical to throwing in Xingyi so you can end movements in a stable, upright place and maintain a sense of equilibrium through multiple vectors of movement. We had our own basics in Aikido and Judo when I was growing up - not super different. You ever look at shuaijiao conditioning exercises? What do you think most neigong is? Pay attention, please.
Practice Makes Progress
greytowhite
Wuji

Postby allen2saint on Mon May 03, 2021 12:41 pm

I don’t know. I’ve seen a lot of samples of technique and I haven’t seen a lot of throwing and running the opponent down. It’s either a solid innovation or just something I’ve not seen before. I have an Aikido background, too, so it was of interest.
allen2saint
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Mon May 03, 2021 1:00 pm

It is easy to have good stability with no moi hung at all
Your statement makes me wonder if you know what Noi Gung is
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Quigga on Tue May 04, 2021 1:51 pm

Well what's your Ka Chung? :)