Pre-attack Indicators

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Pre-attack Indicators

Postby gzregorz on Sun May 02, 2021 12:47 am

"There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy." - Friedrich Nietzsche
gzregorz
Wuji

Re: Pre-attack Indicators

Postby gzregorz on Sun May 02, 2021 12:49 am

Interesting one. Never really considered. Times I have come close I remained calm and ready. Don't know what the outcome would have been but it occurs to me by staying calm nothing happened because the other sensed that I was willing to engage and perhaps they didn't see an easy opening.
Last edited by gzregorz on Sun May 02, 2021 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy." - Friedrich Nietzsche
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby Quigga on Sun May 02, 2021 5:48 am

Gets interesting when you start to feel people's intention to harm you and respond in such a way as to neutralize that intention :) Otherwise, I'm thankful for the fact I don't have to deal with every day violence.
Quigga

Postby gzregorz on Sun May 02, 2021 9:51 am

Agreed. I can how their is definitely an art to being a bouncer.
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby gzregorz on Sun May 02, 2021 4:08 pm

I am enjoying this channel.

https://youtu.be/jtzRhE8nzoM
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Mon May 03, 2021 12:26 am

All these "tricks" for learning to deal with attacks and punches, based on Wing Chun. I can't help feeling he'd save himself years of time if he just did some judo/sambo/wrestling or BJJ and learned how to clinch ;D
Last edited by GrahamB on Mon May 03, 2021 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby gzregorz on Mon May 03, 2021 1:18 am

Is that his background?

Either way, I enjoy his mindset.

As to the clinch, when I lived in crazy SF, I saw a lot of street fights and I never saw it go to the clinch or go to the ground. Mostly it was wild swinging punches with different people joining in in some way. Usually everything was over in a few seconds.

I think those of us who train sometimes forget that most people just want to pound on someone when they are triggered unless they are using weapons in which case running would be better than clinching.

In the next video he explains why sometimes those without training are the deadliest.

Watch "Why ORDINARY People are more Dangerous… 3 DANGERS of UNTRAINED Fighters" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/NJCZmK52kq0no

FWIW most street fights I saw that didn't involve police arresting someone looked like the fights in the video.

Either way, fun channel out of the UK.
Last edited by gzregorz on Mon May 03, 2021 1:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Mon May 03, 2021 10:21 am

I agree that aggression is a matter of intention. Recognizing when someone is aggressive aopf to excited, angry, or other is the key imo to determining one's own intention. Then, one of my old teachers would say, "Mercy or no mercy."
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Mon May 03, 2021 10:36 am

The video remnded me of one of my todos at work. One of my coworkers decided to careless lock his bicycle on top of mine. So, I took off his wheel, freed my bike, and left his there. When he saw me later, he was upset I had messed with his ride. I tried to explain. But, then he started taking out his front teeth, and his knife, and he haded them to a friend. I'm not a particularly big guy (:)), but he was about 6'5" and 260+. (Not a fish story :). Anyway, he rushed me and grabbed me by the throat. Oh well, I just turned right, and deflected his hands off and he started to fall down. Now, I have to say, I was pissed and ready to fight. Yet, somehow, now he wanted to talk. Ok, this was at lunchtime in front of the entire crew. I suppose I earned a little respect, even though I hadn'lt done anything. Well, later on, I got chewed out by my then wife. Apparently, the guy was on her bowling team, and she was mad at me for messing with his bike.

Once I had to defend myself, my mind immediately went to planning how I could hurt him: meaning finding a way to make sure he couldn't hurt me. No matter who was watching. I admit that he caught me off guard by taking out his teeth, and did divert my attention by pulling the knife. But, I think he wanted more to intimidate me and wasn't really really ready to fight.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby gzregorz on Tue May 04, 2021 12:50 am

I had a similar situation. I didn't get touched but I could tell my "opponent" was thinking that because he was bigger, stronger and younger I was going to back down. Basically I pulled up at a Costco gas station and didn't realize that my lane was closed because a trucker was delivering the gas. When I tried to switch lanes no one would let me in. So being that I knew it wouldn't be long I waited about a minute, they were done and I pulled forward. But of course the lane of cars that wouldn't let me in now wanted to take my lane. Naturally since it was my lane I pulled forward, passed them and someone didn't like that, jumped out of his car yelling and expecting me to cut and run. Perhaps I might have but I wasn't alone and had my in-laws and wife with me and instead took it as another day on the job (delivery driver). The driver got in my face yelling and screaming how messed what I did was and how I screwed everyone over. To my surprise the Costco employee had no issue with just watching and seemed to enjoy it. I just pumped my gas, stayed cool and had a conversation. In fact it got more heated because the man was expecting would run off but I wouldn't. It wasn't until my wife brought over the employee who basically said we should let me just gas up and go that the man started to back off. Yet more than that it was obvious he wasn't expecting me to stay calm and even asked me if I trained. LOL! He didn't like that I wasn't getting emotional, upset or scared. Although I probably would have lost a fight with him just due to his athletic ability and size that didn't really bother me either. More than that I just thought how ridiculous the whole issue was to have two grown men beat each other up and get arrested and put in jail because someone thought I cut in line to get gas. So towards the end as he walked away and called me more names and I was done getting gas I apologized because screw it I really didn't feel like dealing police report or a fight while taking my in-laws on a shopping trip. Besides that's the same thing I would have done on the job. Pretend to care and drive away. Always keep cool even if you are in danger.
Last edited by gzregorz on Tue May 04, 2021 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Tue May 04, 2021 12:29 pm

gzregorz wrote:Basically I pulled up at a Costco gas station and didn't realize that my lane was closed because a trucker was delivering the gas. When I tried to switch lanes no one would let me in. So being that I knew it wouldn't be long I waited about a minute, they were done and I pulled forward. But of course the lane of cars that wouldn't let me in now wanted to take my lane. Naturally since it was my lane I pulled forward, passed them and someone didn't like that, jumped out of his car yelling and expecting me to cut and run.

I get gas at Costco too. Confused. If I understand correctly, you pulled in to a closed lane (by accident) where there was no line. So, you switched to the front of another lane that had cars waiting. So, it wasn't "naturally" your lane. You were "that guy," cutting ahead of the line, in the eyes of others (social etiquette). It helps to know if you're "in the right" before trying to conversate and deescalate.

It reminds me of a similar situation at a Dollar Tree, when I was buying a birthday card. There was an abandoned, full cart at the end of a line with about 15 feet space in between the last person. I waited to see if that was anyone's cart or it was a stocking cart. Then, I went in front of it and behind the last person. 4-5 minutes later, a large man came back telling me that I am cutting in front of him. At the time, I didn't know if I was being "that guy" or the shopping line etiquette. I told him, "Hey dude, I have one item. You were gone, shopping. You have a full cart, I have one item." Then, I turned around and didn't hear from him. As I left, he said, "bye a**hole." Later, I googled and found out I was in the right, determined by a 1,017 person survey and others' opinions.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby gzregorz on Tue May 04, 2021 1:24 pm

Right, it is confusing. The tanker truck was done and I pulled forward. I didn't change lanes but apparently people thought I was supposed to wait and give everyone the right to my lane. I didn't break the rules anymore than someone at an intersection. The irony is if this man were in my shoes he would have done the exact same thing. Since I know about trucking I knew it wouldn't be long.
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby Quigga on Tue May 04, 2021 1:53 pm

I want to politely reference Doc Stier's thread on Extrasensory Situational Awareness :)

https://rumsoakedfist.org/viewtopic.php ... 57c856e126
Last edited by Quigga on Tue May 04, 2021 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quigga

Postby Quigga on Tue May 04, 2021 2:04 pm

Nice stories :) I really liked Marvin's for some reason.
Quigga

Postby marvin8 on Tue May 04, 2021 7:34 pm

gzregorz wrote:Right, it is confusing. The tanker truck was done and I pulled forward. I didn't change lanes but apparently people thought I was supposed to wait and give everyone the right to my lane. I didn't break the rules anymore than someone at an intersection. The irony is if this man were in my shoes he would have done the exact same thing. Since I know about trucking I knew it wouldn't be long.

Is this right? After trying to merge into the other lane, you drive back to the closed lane and you are first in line. Is the tanker in front of you, between you and the gas pumps? Can you drive forward at normal speed and reach the nearest pump while allowing other cars to merge into your now open lane without cutting anyone off?

I am not understanding why you would have to "pass them," then "someone didn't like that, jumped out of his car yelling and expecting me to cut and run."
marvin8
Wuji

Next

Return to Video Links