Jkd vs wing chun

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Jkd vs wing chun

Postby marvin8 on Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:24 am

dspyrido wrote:
marvin8 wrote:IMO, most of your arguments are ad hominem or straw person, not worth the time to respond.
marvin8 wrote:... which is kind of my point, a standard argument. Qi La La and Rahsun missed their trapping, abandoned it and just turned to head control/throwing like any modern grappler.

What is this modern grappler you are referring to when it comes to a move that has evidence of existence that's 1000s of years of old?

It's the one you referred to and left out when you quoted me:

marvin8 wrote:
dspyrido wrote:Good trapping is about being in elbow range (not punching or kicking range) & many of the time "modern" (whatever that means) artists will automatically turn to their judo/wrestling.

... which is kind of my point, a standard argument. Qi La La and Rahsun missed their trapping, abandoned it and just turned to head control/throwing like any modern grappler.

dspyrido wrote:What part of trapping turning into a head throw being a part of WC do you not get to claim abandonment for a move that is taught as part of the system?

I did not say "a head throw is not a part of WC," which makes your argument straw person. I did reply to AJG that Rahsun was not "swinging" all his punches, but that he missed two grab/trap attempts. Which part of what I actually said (not straw person) do you disagree with?

marvin8 wrote:
AJG wrote:I get the whole real world violence is unpleasant. What I was thinking was to what extent has martial arts (in particular CMA) evolved to look aesthetically pleasing at the expense of practicality. All these fine motor movements that go out the window the moment the shit hits the fan.

the simplest example in this clip is the preference to swing a punch versus a nice looking straight punch. and yet i'll bet that straight punch was trained a lot.

After the slap to the ear at 2:33, Rahsun attempts to grab/trap twice but fails (looking at the frames)...which opens him to counters:

marvin8
Wuji

Postby dspyrido on Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:05 pm

You're seriously defending the term "Modern grappler"? Ha ha ha :D ::) ;D :o :-* hahahaha!

Anyway too much blah blah blah marvin8. Tell us about your training & fight experience. Preferably in ima which is the point of this forum.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:21 pm

dspyrido wrote:You're seriously defending the term "Modern grappler"?

No, I am using your term:
dspyrido wrote:Good trapping is about being in elbow range (not punching or kicking range) & many of the time "modern" (whatever that means) artists will automatically turn to their judo/wrestling.

dspyrido wrote:Anyway too much blah blah blah marvin8.

dspyrido, tell us about what you see Rahsun doing in the videos and gifs posted, the topic of the OP. ...
marvin8
Wuji

Previous

Return to Video Links