Joe Schilling (Pro MMA Fighter) KOs Drunk Guy in Bar

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Joe Schilling (Pro MMA Fighter) KOs Drunk Guy in Bar

Postby marvin8 on Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:50 pm

Excerpts from "'I was scared for my life': What we know about Joe Schilling's viral barroom knockout:"

Simon Samano on June 30, 2021 wrote:Former Glory kickboxer and Bellator fighter Joe Schilling was caught on camera knocking out a man cold at a bar. ...

What Balboa had to say

According to the police report, Balboa said Schilling “just hit him for no reason.” Balboa, who was described in the report as “obviously intoxicated” when the alleged assault occurred, didn’t elaborate further on the incident itself, adding that he “only wanted the incident documented in order to file a civil suit against the establishment.” Balboa later stated in a follow-up conversation with police that, after watching the video of the incident, he plans to prosecute Schilling. A bar manager described Balboa as “extremely intoxicated” at the time of the incident.

Schilling claims self-defense

In his initial Instagram post that was removed, Schilling claimed he acted in self-defense and has reiterated that stance in subsequent social media posts.

“Little context: This guy’s rapping like an idiot,” Schilling wrote. “The buss boy who happens to be black walks by, and this idiot bumps into him and screams out, ‘Me and broke n****s, we don’t get along.’ The busboy was seriously offended but doesn’t want to lose his job. As the night goes on, this clown starts looking at me and rapping whatever song is being played while making eye contact with me. I’m like, what’s wrong with this idiot? I go outside to smoke and as I’m walking back in, he bumps into me. I put my hand out to catch him. He immediately says ‘I’m sorry.’ You can see me nod my head like, cool.

“Then he realizes it’s me, the guy he’s been rapping at all night and yells, ‘HEY.’ I turn around, and he flexes on me. … Bad decisions are made every day. I went back and sat down to finish my drink and pay my bill. Two servers, the busboy and DJ came up to thank me. As you can see from this video when he flexed on me, I was scared for my life and simply defending myself against the evil in this world.”

Balboa’s attorney speaks out

Contrary to Schilling’s account of self-defense, Balboa’s lawyer sees the incident as inexcusable. Attorney Robert Solomon told MMA Fighting that his client suffered a head injury but the extent is unknown, adding that the alleged assault “was something that should not have happened.”

“It should not have happened,” Solomon said. “You watch that video and you cringe. This is a professional fighter. To tell me you felt threatened as a professional fighter that’s fighting in the highest level of all the fighting, Bellator and all these things, I don’t buy it. I think it was uncalled for, and there’s consequences when you do things like that. …

“I think a professional fighter overreacted to a situation, that he didn’t need to do what he did, and to punch somebody as hard as he punched this guy, he’s lucky he’s not dead and we’re dealing with a different type of case.”

Xaana BrozaK
Jun 30, 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eoNpyPfZec

Balboa then seemingly began to pantomime a strike, and before he could complete his motion, the well-trained Schilling reflexively landed a short right hook, followed by a left, which knocked out the abrasive Florida Man who works as a busboy at an Outback Steakhouse:

marvin8
Wuji

Re: Joe Schilling (Pro MMA Fighter) KOs Drunk Guy in Bar

Postby everything on Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:27 am

two idiots
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:34 am

With a shirt reading "Ring Cage Parking Lot" no less...

I have a feeling he's gonna be paying some bills.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:43 am

everything wrote:two idiots

I agree. The drunk guy (Balboa) shrugged and took a left step forward, before Joe started lifting his hand to "defend himself." Regarding shenfa/"whole body" movement, Joe lifts his right foot and coordinates his punch with it landing (within a short distance)—similar to the superman punch mechanics.

oragami_itto wrote:With a shirt reading "Ring Cage Parking Lot" no less...

I have a feeling he's gonna be paying some bills.

Also, Joe's subsequent Instagram posts may contradict his "scared for my life" statement. And, someone just happened to be videoing, before Joe entered the picture and the fight started.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Strange on Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:11 pm

i just dun see how he could be scared for his life...
but that's good sh%t :)
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:13 am

In Australia we call that a dog shot
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby C.J.W. on Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:28 am

Schilling may be a jerk, but he sure knows how to punch.

The two punches were beautifully executed in coordination with the hip turns and side stepping so that both were backhand blows packed with knockout power. Looks like he intuitively made use of cross-alignment of the body (left hand to right foot and right hand to left foot) as well.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:51 pm

wayne hansen wrote:In Australia we call that a dog shot

It wasn't a dog shot (sucker punch). Because, Balboa instigated the fight by shrugging and stepping forward, before Schilling lifted his hand.

C.J.W. wrote:Schilling may be a jerk, but he sure knows how to punch.

The two punches were beautifully executed in coordination with the hip turns and side stepping so that both were backhand blows packed with knockout power. Looks like he intuitively made use of cross-alignment of the body (left hand to right foot and right hand to left foot) as well.

Yes, I am less concerned with who is the jerk or at fault. It's up to a jury to decide. I am more interested in what I can use/learn from a fight. :)

...that and Joe seamlessly shifts his weight from foot to foot ("whole body") with each punch delivering more force into the opponent. The front foot, back side step (yield) gives him space to turn his front hand into a rear hand power punch, creates an angle and puts Joe in an advantageous defensive position. They were not "backhand blows," as he hit with his fist (rear hand strikes):

Image Image

Joe's timing of Balboa's forward step (double weight) adds to the KO power of his punch. Not intuitive, Joe's timing (punch) is a trained response with high level trainers.

Pacquiao is trained to time his punches with Roach's steps, forward momentum:

marvin8
Wuji

Return to Video Links