Paul Whitrod groundwork kicking form

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Paul Whitrod groundwork kicking form

Postby yusuf on Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:51 am

amazing...
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Re: Paul Whitrod groundwork kicking form

Postby Ian on Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:07 am

thanks for posting that!
Ian

Postby JAB on Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:09 am

Southern Mantis?
JAB

Postby yusuf on Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:23 am

JAB wrote:Southern Mantis?

yup... i never realised ..
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby jarvis on Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:21 am

I think this is the Dragon Leg form of Chow Gar Tong Long but don't quote me as I don't practice this system. Whitrod Sifu is exceptionally quick, this clip gives a flavour of that.
Punch, Kick , It's all in the mind
jarvis
Santi

Postby middleway on Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:19 am

Awesome.... Thanks for posting that!

Chris
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby Captain McNugget on Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:35 am

jarvis wrote:I think this is the Dragon Leg form of Chow Gar Tong Long but don't quote me as I don't practice this system. Whitrod Sifu is exceptionally quick, this clip gives a flavour of that.

Yeah your right this is the Dragon leg form of Chow Gar. Aside from a few drills etc it's the only formalised kicking set in the system. Sifu Whitrod makes it look way too easy!!

Best,

-Luke
Captain McNugget
Santi

Postby Mut on Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:27 pm

i always love watching Sifu Witrod
"I've done 19 years of Tae Kwon Do.... I'm a blackbelt third dan.... I don't think I should start with your beginners..." ....phone enquiry I recieved....
Mut
Great Old One

Postby Dr.Rob on Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:45 pm

Sorry I thought that was me for a second.. ;D .dream. Wow.

His early articles and usage of training equipment are brilliant. He real spent time to learn the depth of the system. Its nice to see what hard work gives you.
Having nothing to lose is the new wealth.

Profitez de la guerre mes enfants, la paix sera terrible.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.
Dr.Rob
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:04 am

Very smooth...but are you all sure this is S Mantis? Clearly the stuff at the beginning of the clip is...but the ground work looks very similar to some Sumatran silat, or possibly Kalari (which Paul studies).

I KNOW that S Mantis is a Hakka art, and the Hakkas have a roots in Fujien...but IS this def S Mantis?

When 'Once Upon a Time in China' came out I loved the Wong Fei hung music...but it really has been played to death since.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Captain McNugget on Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:02 pm

Andy_S wrote:Very smooth...but are you all sure this is S Mantis? Clearly the stuff at the beginning of the clip is...but the ground work looks very similar to some Sumatran silat, or possibly Kalari (which Paul studies).

I KNOW that S Mantis is a Hakka art, and the Hakkas have a roots in Fujien...but IS this def S Mantis?

Definatly Southern Mantis, It's one of the original forms in the system. By original I mean that it's been there since atleast the 3rd generation. Master Ip Shui(4th generation) created more forms based on smaller san sau movements and principles he learnt from his teacher but the flying dragon leg set along with other more famous ones, i.e 3 Step Arrow Piercing, are part of the older forms.

Theres an interesting article on Sifu Whitrods' website which speaks a bit about this:

http://www.paulwhitrod.com/

For some reason or other I cant copy a direct link but it's in there under 'other kung fu articles'..

Best,

Luke
Captain McNugget
Santi

Postby Andy_S on Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:55 am

Cheers Luke. Given that this was performed at the master's birthday party, seems faily conclusive. Anyway, very interesting form to see, and covers very different ground to most S Mantis.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Steve on Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:15 pm

Looks really nice for taking ou knees, hips, and ankles, bring the opponent down. Reminds me of silat. Just goes to show the body only moves certain ways. I realize S. Mantis may have started in northern China but the Hakas were driven south and.. what's interesting to me is the southern Chinese style certainly has some flavor with other south east Asian styles. Steve
Steve
Santi

Return to Video Links