wudang Kuang Changxiu

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

wudang Kuang Changxiu

Postby Rhen on Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:17 pm

Glad to know that there was some real wudang way before the communist takeover. Always felt the wushuy-wudang was water down.

Kuang Changxiu who "entered the White Cloud Temple on Laoshan (Lao mountain)

Master Kuang Changxiu (1905-1993) was such master - a legend in the 1980s already, not only because of his skills in the Taoist art of internal alchemy but most of all in martial arts. Born in 1905, he studied many Shaolin related local Shandong styles since childhood. At the age of 26 he became a taoist monk of the Jinshan (Golden Mountain) branch of the Complete Reality School. Since then he studied taoist meditation methods, medicine and martial arts from Kuang Zhenjue, his uncle, a taoist master and a disciple of Li Shiqing, a teacher of Wudang system. He referred to the martial arts system as Laoshan school of Wudang Boxing; it focused on kicking techniques which Master Kuang excelled at and hence was nicknamed nicknamed "Kuang the Flying Legs". His internal skills were also legendary - he could spend a week without food and sleep, in the state of deep meditation. Master Kuang was also a famous doctor, and worked as a physician when forced to becoming a layman during the Cultural Revolution. He wrote many books - on medicine, martial arts, Qigong/meditation - as well as novels and stories.
Rhen

Re: wudang Kuang Changxiu

Postby zrm on Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:08 am

I don't train the Wudang San Feng Pai system myself but I've met some people who were disciples from that school and spent many years training with the masters there. I think you'll find that the teachers there actively sought out and trained under of these old masters (including Kuang Changxiu) back in the 1980s. The current system they train is an amalgamation of what they could recover from this time.

More info
https://www.okanaganvalleywudang.com/wu ... -history-1
https://wulinmingshi.com/2018/06/12/int ... ki-part-4/

I haven't been to Wudangshan but I've been to the Shaolin Temple. If it's anything like Shaolin I'd expect you would have to differentiate between what the dedicated monks are doing versus what is shown and taught to tourists that pop in for a few weeks, versus what all the ancillary martial art schools that pop up around the temple are teaching. My experience at Shaolin was that all the dedicated martial artists didn't spend that much time at the temple at but are usually training at some quieter place, usually at one of the other mountains nearby.
Last edited by zrm on Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
zrm
Huajing

Re: wudang Kuang Changxiu

Postby Rhen on Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:50 am

Thank you ZRM will check out those links. Respects.
Rhen

Return to Video Links