PUSH HANDS BREAKDOWN: World Champion Chen Chi-Cheng (Taiji)

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

PUSH HANDS BREAKDOWN: World Champion Chen Chi-Cheng (Taiji)

Postby marvin8 on Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:45 pm

Coach Jan Lucanus - Sports Tai Chi Push Hands
Oct 16, 2021

My first commentary on 16X Tai Chi World Cup Push Hands (Tuishou) Champion Chen Chi-Cheng aka @tuishouchen matches, this one versus professional San Shou, San Da, and Muay Thai Champion Ian Morgan. This match is played with a collarbone to hip grappling area, akin to Tai Chi World Cup rules. I will go into greater detail on future videos, but for this quick clip, I’m highlighting 4 moves to get people who are unfamiliar used to seeing the science and timing of world class Push Hands. I recommended replaying this video in extreme slow motion and zooming in for greater detail. I go over many of these moves on my channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1ZeCTqpmTE
marvin8
Wuji

Re: PUSH HANDS BREAKDOWN: World Champion Chen Chi-Cheng (Taiji)

Postby Rhen on Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:57 am

So a sanda and muay thai guy tries push hands and loses to a push hands champion as no strikes are allowed ::)
Rhen

Postby origami_itto on Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:33 am

Rhen wrote:So a sanda and muay thai guy tries push hands and loses to a push hands champion as no strikes are allowed ::)

Well... I mean... It's a push hands competition... Do you criticize boxing matches because they don't kick or takedown?

There's some nice push hands skills on display here, more than the usual two bulls butting heads you see so much of.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby jbb73 on Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:51 pm

oragami_itto wrote:
Rhen wrote:So a sanda and muay thai guy tries push hands and loses to a push hands champion as no strikes are allowed ::)

Well... I mean... It's a push hands competition... Do you criticize boxing matches because they don't kick or takedown?

There's some nice push hands skills on display here, more than the usual two bulls butting heads you see so much of.

No, not criticizing that there are no strikes allowed, but I don't find it very spectacular.
What's unique in the vid, worth mentioning?
jbb73
Mingjing

Postby origami_itto on Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:51 am

jbb73 wrote:
oragami_itto wrote:

No, not criticizing that there are no strikes allowed, but I don't find it very spectacular.
What's unique in the vid, worth mentioning?

Are you logging into multiple accounts here?

There's whatever you see there.
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:14 am

Tui-shou which is learned and practiced for the sake of more offensive competition priorities is a different beast than traditional tui-shou methods learned and trained as sensitivity drills with defensive 'listening' skill priorities. The latter methods ultimately develop more valuable realtime fighting skills, imo, both physically and mentally. ymmv. :P
Last edited by Doc Stier on Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Bhassler on Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:21 am

Doc Stier wrote:Tui-shou which is learned and practiced for the sake of more offensive competition priorities is a different beast than traditional tui-shou methods learned and trained as sensitivity drills with defensive 'listening' skill priorities. The latter methods ultimately develop more valuable realtime fighting skills, imo, both physically and mentally. ymmv. :P

I don't know if it's a difference of offensive or defensive mindset (how can you practice one without the other?) as it is the presence (or lack of) pedagogical constraints that force the development of specific attributes. But that never happens unless you have specific goals for the drill and understand it well enough to put the constraints in place to challenge those goals appropriately. In my experience, most people practice with a sort of 'generic' intent, and therefore quickly grow bored with the more limited practices, and then jump to less structured formats because it feels more like they're doing something.
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:46 am

Bhassler wrote:
Doc Stier wrote:Tui-shou which is learned and practiced for the sake of more offensive competition priorities is a different beast than traditional tui-shou methods learned and trained as sensitivity drills with defensive 'listening' skill priorities. The latter methods ultimately develop more valuable realtime fighting skills, imo, both physically and mentally. ymmv. :P

I don't know if it's a difference of offensive or defensive mindset (how can you practice one without the other?) as it is the presence (or lack of) pedagogical constraints that force the development of specific attributes. But that never happens unless you have specific goals for the drill and understand it well enough to put the constraints in place to challenge those goals appropriately. In my experience, most people practice with a sort of 'generic' intent, and therefore quickly grow bored with the more limited practices, and then jump to less structured formats because it feels more like they're doing something.

I wasn't referring to choreographed push hand drills alone. Freestyle push hands practice, both stationary and with active moving steps, is also important. However, a competitive mindset tends to focus on winning or losing, which in turn focuses primarily on scoring points offensively, rather than on developing defensive skills for serious realtime fighting applications. :-\
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby jbb73 on Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:58 am

oragami_itto wrote:

???

oragami_itto wrote:There's whatever you see there.

I see nothing extraordinary. I see a pro in Tuishou pushing a pro in striking; that's what I would expect to see.
What do you see?
jbb73
Mingjing

Postby origami_itto on Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:06 pm

jbb73 wrote:
oragami_itto wrote:

???

oragami_itto wrote:There's whatever you see there.

I see nothing extraordinary. I see a pro in Tuishou pushing a pro in striking; that's what I would expect to see.
What do you see?

Precisely that.
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:16 pm

Both pre arranged and free style pushing in the traditional manner have their place
If you become bored you have not seen the real thing
The one with lesser skill should in the most part attack
The one with the greater skill should in most parts respond only in the defensive manner
Even the fixed drills should have the reality of the unexpected attack
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Giles on Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:27 am

Doc Stier wrote:I wasn't referring to choreographed push hand drills alone. Freestyle push hands practice, both stationary and with active moving steps, is also important. However, a competitive mindset tends to focus on winning or losing, which in turn focuses primarily on scoring points offensively, rather than on developing defensive skills for serious realtime fighting applications. :-\

Agree. Although as an add-on for non-competitive tuishou, intended to develop the defensive (and offensive!) skills you describe, it can be useful for one of the partners to temporarily take on the role of 'competition pusher'. Not always, but from time to time. The other partner then has the role of staying soft, applying peng and lu, and - if it's good - quickly uprooting the 'aggressive' guy using good technique. Or quickly getting pushed himself if it doesn't work. But that's OK because ultimately it's still mutually supporting practice where you can invest in loss, not a real competition. Then switch roles...
Last edited by Giles on Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby Giles on Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:35 am

wayne hansen wrote:Both pre arranged and free style pushing in the traditional manner have their place
The one with lesser skill should in the most part attack
The one with the greater skill should in most parts respond only in the defensive manner
Even the fixed drills should have the reality of the unexpected attack

Basically agree. But if the one with less skill attacks most of the time, then in my experience he or she will tend to get stuck in trying to muscle their way through the moves. When I'm doing tuishou with a student, I'll first let them attack hard for a while just to show them that in practice softness really can work against hardness, then switch to me feeding them plenty of more or less 'digestible' attacks, giving them the task of neutralising these with good technique and softness. If instead they spend most of their time attacking then, in my experience, they see that I can defend and counter well and might be 'impressed' but they themselves don't get the feel for relaxing and keeping centred when under physical and mental pressure. And that's the key to many things.
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby robert on Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:20 am

wayne hansen wrote:Both pre arranged and free style pushing in the traditional manner have their place

I agree. In traditional training push hands is the first two person drill. It's one thing to use jin to move your body and another to have the resistance of a partner. For many beginners using jin with some light resistance helps to understand the jin path and to start understanding alignment. In the west some people who teach jin based body mechanics break the simple one hand fixed step push hands into even simpler exercises of how to root into the ground with jin and how to push out of the ground with jin. A few hours of good training in fixed step push hands can really help some people's form training.
The method of practicing this boxing art is nothing more than opening and closing, passive and active. The subtlety of the art is based entirely upon their alternations. Chen Xin
robert
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:20 am

Tai chi is not against using strength it is against unproductive or inappropriate strength
Jin v lec
Most people I have problems are those who use dumb strength
Those who promote a resisting partner usually mean a dumb unskilled partner
Take boxing for instance those that go into the ring don’t use dumb strength
They use highly refined strength
A dumb enthusiastic haymaker exponent may win a boxing match but it is not the usual case
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Return to Video Links