Awakening the Dragon - Bagua 8 Energy Set

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Awakening the Dragon - Bagua 8 Energy Set

Postby greytowhite on Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:52 am

This is an old school video from Mark Saito and Chris Matsuo showing the 8 static palms of the Dragongate Sanctuary Baguazhang curriculum. I don't know exactly where this set comes from but a number of Saito's students learned from Bow Sim Mak. I added the energetic information in the comments. I enjoy this set a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVPRggbFjyk
greytowhite
Wuji

Re: Awakening the Dragon - Bagua 8 Energy Set

Postby greytowhite on Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:55 am

I find there is an interesting overlap between this set and what Ray Hayward demonstrates here.

https://videos.files.wordpress.com/bmji ... ms_dvd.mp4
greytowhite
Wuji

Postby Fubo on Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:10 pm

greytowhite wrote:This is an old school video from Mark Saito and Chris Matsuo showing the 8 static palms of the Dragongate Sanctuary Baguazhang curriculum. I don't know exactly where this set comes from but a number of Saito's students learned from Bow Sim Mak. I added the energetic information in the comments. I enjoy this set a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVPRggbFjyk

From what I understand Bow Sim Mak is a Fu style Bagua teacher, and this looks quite different. Also this guy's circle walking is different from any Bagua I've seen, where he moves the inside of his foot forward as oppose to aligning his foot with the direction of the circle. Some Bagua people incorporate a slight Bai bu into their circle walking, but the alignment of the foot is still aligned with the direction of the circle, where as this guys foot is off alignment with the circle.
Fubo
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:01 pm

Fu style for sure
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby everything on Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:46 am

Thanks for posting. I think I missed your comments/annotations somewhere. Are they in the youtube comments section?
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby greytowhite on Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:46 pm

Yes, the comments are in the YouTube video itself.

EDIT: Here is the info I provided. There is a Buddhist deity from our esoteric Buddhist traditions for each of these if we want to chant a mantra as well but just doing the mudra and mandala is a lot of work.

Dragon Skims the Water
Water Trigram - Snake
Root Chakra, Du Mai Governing Vessel
Sacred Shape - Cube, Red

Dragon Holds the Clouds
Wind Trigram - Phoenix
Sacral Chakra, Ren Mai Conception Vessel
Sacred Shape - Sphere, Orange

Dragon Turns Head
Earth Trigram - Unicorn
Solar Plexus, Chong Mai Thrusting Vessel
Sacred Shape - Pyramid, Yellow

Dragon Holds the Pearl
Heaven Trigram - Lion
Heart Chakra, Dai Mai Penetrating Vessel
Sacred Shape - Stellated Octahedron, Green

Dragon Pressing Palms
Mountain Trigram - Bear
Throat Chakra, Yang Wei Mai Yang Linking Vessel
Sacred Shape - Crescent Bowl, Blue

Dragon Offers Peach
Lake Trigram - Monkey
Throat Chakra, Yin Wei Mai Yin Linking Vessel
Sacred Shape - Crescent Bowl, Blue

Spear Heaven Drill Earth
Fire Trigram - Falcon
3rd Eye Chakra, Yin Chao Mai Yin Heel Vessel
Sacred Shape - Mirror Disc, Blue

Dragon Rising from Water
Thunder Trigram - Dragon
Crown Chakra, Yang Chao Mai Yang Heel Vessel
Sacred Shape - 1,000 Petaled Lotus, Violet
Last edited by greytowhite on Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greytowhite
Wuji

Postby greytowhite on Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:53 pm

Fubo wrote:From what I understand Bow Sim Mak is a Fu style Bagua teacher, and this looks quite different. Also this guy's circle walking is different from any Bagua I've seen, where he moves the inside of his foot forward as oppose to aligning his foot with the direction of the circle. Some Bagua people incorporate a slight Bai bu into their circle walking, but the alignment of the foot is still aligned with the direction of the circle, where as this guys foot is off alignment with the circle.

Not all Bagua uses the same circle walking methods. I've seen schools that use 2 concentric circles, one for each foot. I've seen schools that train on an 8 step method and don't deviate from that. I've seen schools that prefer 6 step circles for smaller circles and 12-16 steps for larger. Bagua is a varied art and Chris has trained with people on Wudang mountain, Fu style, with Bing Kai Lee, and extensively with Mitsuoka Hidetoshi who preserves Han Family methods.
greytowhite
Wuji

Postby Fubo on Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:42 pm

greytowhite wrote:
Not all Bagua uses the same circle walking methods. I've seen schools that use 2 concentric circles, one for each foot. I've seen schools that train on an 8 step method and don't deviate from that. I've seen schools that prefer 6 step circles for smaller circles and 12-16 steps for larger. Bagua is a varied art and Chris has trained with people on Wudang mountain, Fu style, with Bing Kai Lee, and extensively with Mitsuoka Hidetoshi who preserves Han Family methods.

I understand that there are different walking methods in Bagua, I too have trained in a variety of styles, including Fu style. Regardless of differences, the major styles emphasize that during circle walking, the front of your foot leads the movement, whether it's on the circle, or inside outside with Kou Bu or Bai Bu etc. I was merely pointing out that this is the first time I've seen a Bagua practitioner walking the circle leading with the inside of his foot... I wasn't saying he's doing is "wrong" for his style, just not the norm regardless of most stylistic differences. I was speaking specifically about the guy with the ponytail.
Fubo
Wuji

Postby greytowhite on Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:53 am

Fubo wrote:I wasn't saying he's doing is "wrong" for his style, just not the norm regardless of most stylistic differences. I was speaking specifically about the guy with the ponytail.

Yes, Chris is the person with the ponytail. A lot of what he teaches descends from esoteric priest training as Chris preserves a number of esoteric Buddhist, Daoist, and Japanese new religion like Joh-Rei. I think he synthesized many methods into the curriculum and they just started calling it Hawaiian Bagua. I've trained the foundational material with 2 of his students and the art continues to evolve and synthesize the influences the school has. I really enjoy practicing Ray Carbullido's take on Yiquan arm swings and how he has conceptually integrated it with Baguazhang walking and universal footwork patterns.
greytowhite
Wuji

Return to Video Links