The Xingyi Jian (Straight Sword) 形意剑法

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Postby wushutiger on Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:13 am

The Xingyi Quan system includes various traditional weaponry.

wushutiger
Wuji

Re: The Xingyi Jian (Straight Sword) 形意剑法

Postby GrahamB on Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:37 am

Really nicely shot and edited! Nice clear performance of the 5 elements with a jian. Great location too.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:36 am

Looking good, Byron! Merry Christmas to you and yours from the Texas Hill Country. :)
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby wushutiger on Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:34 pm

Looking good, Byron! Merry Christmas to you and yours from the Texas Hill Country. :)

Thank you! Merry Christmas to you too!

Really nicely shot and edited! Nice clear performance of the 5 elements with a jian. Great location too.

Thank you! Its a small old temple not too far from my home called Da Fo Si (Great Buddha Temple)
wushutiger
Wuji

Postby LaoDan on Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:28 am

I also like what you have done. One recommendation (if you don’t mind) would be to find an antique jian, or an accurate reproduction, to practice with. While your precision looks good, some of your techniques will change somewhat with a heavier and properly balanced weapon (e.g., less “wristiness”…).
LaoDan
Wuji

Postby wushutiger on Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:08 pm

I also like what you have done. One recommendation (if you don’t mind) would be to find an antique jian, or an accurate reproduction, to practice with. While your precision looks good, some of your techniques will change somewhat with a heavier and properly balanced weapon (e.g., less “wristiness”…).

Umm, thats a solid steel jian that is heavy and was produced in line with an older jian's dimensions and weight
wushutiger
Wuji

Postby LaoDan on Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:38 pm

Glad to hear it. What caught my eye was, e.g. 0:58-1:03, 1:33-1:46, etc., but perhaps you were taught that the weight of the sword drops the tip without the arm involved (just rotating the wrist)? But looking more carefully, I do not see the typical wobble of thin weapons and, as I mentioned earlier, your precision is good (which usually is not easy with a light and poorly balanced sword).
LaoDan
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:13 pm

LaoDan wrote:Glad to hear it. What caught my eye was, e.g. 0:58-1:03, 1:33-1:46, etc., but perhaps you were taught that the weight of the sword drops the tip without the arm involved (just rotating the wrist)? But looking more carefully, I do not see the typical wobble of thin weapons and, as I mentioned earlier, your precision is good (which usually is not easy with a light and poorly balanced sword).

Nice recovery in walking that back, dude. ;D
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby LaoDan on Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:16 pm

I should specify that I specialize in TJ, not XY. I have noticed certain qualitative differences between them, but since I do not study both arts, my perceptions may be off. My impression is that XY tends to be more direct (if that is the correct term) when compared to how similar techniques are performed in TJ. XY appears to have smaller actions than TJ, as if a practitioner is knocking aside, or crashing through, an opponent’s weapon, whereas TJ tends to guide the opponent’s weapon longer, as if attempting to guide or control it briefly in order to create an opening through which to attack. If this assessment is not too far off, then this could possibly account for the differences that I see between what you show and how I practice. In TJ the wrist tends not to pivot 360 degrees, but more commonly moves in a larger motion with the arm, and the pivot often being closer to 180 degrees at the end (after the momentum of the weapon is imparted by pushing or pulling the weapon in a larger arc). Does this make sense?
LaoDan
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:12 am

LaoDan wrote:Glad to hear it. What caught my eye was, e.g. 0:58-1:03, 1:33-1:46, etc., but perhaps you were taught that the weight of the sword drops the tip without the arm involved (just rotating the wrist)? But looking more carefully, I do not see the typical wobble of thin weapons and, as I mentioned earlier, your precision is good (which usually is not easy with a light and poorly balanced sword).

Dude, that's the way it's supposed to be done.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby LaoDan on Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:57 am

Never mind - I’m an idiot!
LaoDan
Wuji

Postby Michael Babin on Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:40 am

I have no official xingyi sword lineage though I have learned and do practise some xingyi two-person sword training and have done so for about a decade. On the other hand, I have done free-style sword sparring with a variety of partners with skills over the last 15 years so have some idea of how hard it is to make a clash between equals look like any "style" besides functionality.

I like everything I saw in that short video in terms of good sword usage and efficient body mechanics.

In LaoDan's defence [and yes, skilful back-pedalling to quote Doc Stier], he is right about the tendency in a lot of martial arts sword forms to go for fancy wrist circles because they look good and they are certainly hard to do properly in terms of basic solo sword handling... sadly, most of the time against a skilful partner, poorly executed wrist circles with a sword just set you up and not your opponent. By contrast, the video quoted shows potentially functional circles.

My 2¢ [and in an age of rapid inflation at that]

Michael
My Website [with a link to my Youtube Channel] https://sites.google.com/view/mbtaiji/home
Michael Babin
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:40 am

Do you fence (AKA spar)? If not, you should try it. It will dramatically change the way that you approach these techniques.

Also, I believe that the weapons were tacked on to the unarmed styles within the last century or so. It's good to integrate them, though, as they complement each other well. I wouldn't dwell too much on lineages..
Last edited by MaartenSFS on Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby wushutiger on Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:43 pm

We do indeed spar and do partner drills.

Lao Dan - No worries at all mate. Merry Christmas!
wushutiger
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:09 pm

With the swords, I meant. It would be lovely to see these techniques applied in your full-contact fencing. ;)

Also, regarding the wrist, I have learned a few techniques that make use of them to a high degree, but they must be strengthened in order to successfully pull off said techniques.
Last edited by MaartenSFS on Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Next

Return to Video Links