Tai Chi BEAT DOWN — Chen Style Taijiquan Fight Commentary

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Tai Chi BEAT DOWN — Chen Style Taijiquan Fight Commentary

Postby marvin8 on Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:19 pm

Flowboxer
Feb 6, 2022

In this video I'm giving some fight commentary and analysis on an informal tai chi push hands session, that turns in to what I can might be best described as a 'beat down'!

As I understand it the chap handing it out is Chen Village Taijiquan Combat Captain Wang Yan [王岩].

I have read comment on this suggesting that what is being demonstrated is ''not real tai chi chuan" as it is using "only external mechanics". That's not a debate I feel inclined to get into, BUT I do think there are a lot of good tai chi principles evident in Wang Yan's work that are missing from the work of his challenger. This is, I believe, a significant factor in the very one sided outcome.

For more videos on Tai CHi as a combat art, please do Subscribe to Flowboxer.

James Tripp

Original Video: https://youtu.be/CWcH-puvyic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hww6RNt8pC0
marvin8
Wuji

Re: Tai Chi BEAT DOWN — Chen Style Taijiquan Fight Commentary

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:01 pm

Not very good at all
Any decent grappler would wipe the floor with him
The bald guy just goes for the silly arm drag with no set up or listening
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby C.J.W. on Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:45 pm

I've always found it odd that some people would refer to this type of "rasslin' push-hand" as Taiji's fighting application or try to use it to measure a Taiji practitioner's fighting prowess.

If that's how Taiji's supposed to work, they might as well switch to Shuaijiao, Judo, or Greco-Roman/Freestyle wrestling -- arts that will make them better grapplers much more quickly and effectively.
Last edited by C.J.W. on Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:38 pm

Sometimes when you show people 'soft tuishou" they see it as fake, has no purpose (I see it like that sometimes, at least I used to and am still ambivalent about it despite my "old age") so I ended up just slamming people to the ground and it worked.
They said I was hard and external and that wasn't taijituishou. Even I was thrown many times by Chen tuishou practitioners and sprained my wrists but I saw the light.

That is why I feebly recommend people learn the shuai and na concepts to make their taijiquan "better" in terms of basic martial elements. Simple enough while allowing the practitioner to see all sides of "precious training", as shallow as it may appear to be "well rounded".

Old MAn with Half a Brain, I think that is what they call it
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:14 pm

Few months back I was showing two students how to escape a neck attack that became a naked choke by going along with it and delivering a quick uppercut to the ribs
My student went down like a ton of bricks from what I thought was a quick light tap
He had bruised ribs for a couple of months
I no longer think of hard or soft
It isn't about how strong the knife is it is how sharp it is
By knife I mean technique
Your art should contain every aspect of fighting the only question is how much they are refined
We can get away with poor technique for combat
I grew up with street fighters who made up for lack of refinement with pure animal aggression
But martial art means just that it is only by refinement we touch the void
If we don't do that what is the point
Buy a car and run over your enemies it is much easier and more effective
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:50 pm

wayne hansen wrote:Your art should contain every aspect of fighting, the only question is how much they are refined...martial art means just that it is only by refinement we touch the void.

Right on, man. The constant refinement of movement, principles and applications is a lifelong process which forms the foundation of a productive training regimen in any fighting art.
Last edited by Doc Stier on Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Return to Video Links